Brian McGuigans Bad Luck

Started by Quarterback, May 14, 2007, 09:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

McGuigan returns to Tyrone squad
Friday, 11 January 2008 13:23

Brian McGuigan could make his first appearance in more than two years for Tyrone this weekend.

McGuigan, whose career has been devastated by a broken leg, followed by a serious eye injury, has been named in the subs for the Dr McKenna Cup clash with Donegal.

It's the first time the double All-Ireland winner and All-Star playmaker has been included in the match-day squad this season.

Manager Mickey Harte has once again rung the changes for Sunday's trip to Ballyshannon.

He has made seven changes from the side that started in midweek, with only the full back line remaining intact from the win over Down.

Johnny Curran becomes the third goalkeeper to play in as many games, with Davy Harte returning to the half back line.

A new midfield partnernship sees Colin Holmes team up with Conal Martin, and up front there are starts for Gary Reilly, Martin Penrose and Shaun O'Neill.

Tyrone (SF v Donegal): J Curran, PJ Quinn, C McCarron (Dromore), M Swift, D Harte, D Carlin, P Jordan, C Holmes, C Martin, G Reilly, C McCarron (Omagh), A McCarron, M Penrose, T McGuigan, S O'Neill

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2008/0111/mcguiganb.html

Delighted for him.

rrhf

Thats great news.  Cant believe it, didnt think he was anywher near that level. 

tbrick18

Quote from: Homer on January 11, 2008, 02:44:13 PM
McGuigan returns to Tyrone squad
Friday, 11 January 2008 13:23

Brian McGuigan could make his first appearance in more than two years for Tyrone this weekend.

McGuigan, whose career has been devastated by a broken leg, followed by a serious eye injury, has been named in the subs for the Dr McKenna Cup clash with Donegal.

It's the first time the double All-Ireland winner and All-Star playmaker has been included in the match-day squad this season.

Manager Mickey Harte has once again rung the changes for Sunday's trip to Ballyshannon.

He has made seven changes from the side that started in midweek, with only the full back line remaining intact from the win over Down.

Johnny Curran becomes the third goalkeeper to play in as many games, with Davy Harte returning to the half back line.

A new midfield partnernship sees Colin Holmes team up with Conal Martin, and up front there are starts for Gary Reilly, Martin Penrose and Shaun O'Neill.

Tyrone (SF v Donegal): J Curran, PJ Quinn, C McCarron (Dromore), M Swift, D Harte, D Carlin, P Jordan, C Holmes, C Martin, G Reilly, C McCarron (Omagh), A McCarron, M Penrose, T McGuigan, S O'Neill

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2008/0111/mcguiganb.html

Delighted for him.

I'm not exactly what you would call a Tyrone fan, but it would be good to see him back. I don't like to see any player getting an injury like that and it would definately benefit the game to have him back playing as he's exceptionally talented. I hope his health permits him to play again, but in my opinion if there's any risk to his eye sight he should call it a day - difficult as it may be for him. But as they say, your health is your wealth.

AZOffaly

If Brian McGuigan is back and healthy, and the brother stays fit as well, Tyrone will win the All Ireland this year.

nrico2006

Brilliant.   I just hope he gets the games he needs to build himself up again, and most importingly, he gets to enjoy being on the field after 2 years of misery.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

loughshore lad

Quote from: rrhf on January 11, 2008, 02:48:50 PM
Thats great news.  Cant believe it, didnt think he was anywher near that level. 

Neither did I and am pretty certain he is not....

Maybe orangeman knows more  ???

Fuzzman

Think yer a little Hasty their AZOffaly with that prediction.
He needs good forwards to hit his passes into and at the moment there's no obvious contenders like there was in 2003 & 2005

I think He's had a hard enough time and has obviously worked hard to get where he is now.
I think it might be physically too soon for him but mentally he needs to see he's making progress and to make the squad will give him that reward he deserves.

Good luck to him and its better getting 10 mins now to ease into it rather than 30 mins in NFL matches

AZOffaly

I know it's hasty, and very early days, but it comes with a host of caveats, namely that he stays fit, the brother stays fit and also that Stephen O'Neill gets himself back in.

He is the best 'playmaking' centre forward around though, and if he comes through Tyrone will be significantly stronger, and I don't think they are a significant distance from winning an All Ireland, hence my prediction.

ziggysego

If he's well fit for it and feels he can make his comeback for Sunday, then this is brilliant.

I don't know the man, but I was chatting to a former county player a few weeks ago. I was under the impression that he still has a long way to go. I do fear it could be too soon and Brian could risk setting himself even further or permanently.

Orangeman, can you shed some light on Brian for us?
Testing Accessibility

loughshore lad

Quote from: ziggysego on January 11, 2008, 03:51:26 PM
If he's well fit for it and feels he can make his comeback for Sunday, then this is brilliant.

I don't know the man, but I was chatting to a former county player a few weeks ago. I was under the impression that he still has a long way to go. I do fear it could be too soon and Brian could risk setting himself even further or permanently.

Orangeman, can you shed some light on Brian for us?

Ziggy I was talking to the him recently and as I posted earlier (unless things have changed dramatically in the last week or so - maybe orangeman knows more) I am pretty certain he is no where near ready to play any type of competitve football yet.

orangeman

As Loughshore lad says, we were all under the impression that he has some way to go - I know he's trainnig fairly hard at the minute and would be pleasantly surprised to see him take any part in Sunday's game - but maybe there is Go after all !!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

gerry

great news to hear that he is back, just hope he takes things slowly on his comeback
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

orangeman

The word about Brian returning tomorrow against Donegal would seem to be VERY wide of the mark  - he may not be on the subs bench evem let alone taking part in the game. So I don't know what happened here but it seems more than a bit premature, AI'm sorry I have to report.

ONeill

I thought the report on the back page of he IN was scandalous. Not one quote in sight but they've tried to whip up sales by leading with that story.

UTV/BBC/Irish News - Is there no sensible reporting left?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Donagh

Was very surprised to hear Brian was back already. Had a similar injury myself some years back and had to give up contact sports altogether. Boxing was my game then, but the advice was not to take the chance with any and mess around when the eyesight was at risk. Best of luck to you Brian!