Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2018, 01:15:48 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on May 15, 2018, 12:36:37 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2018, 11:45:58 AM
Does anyone know for sure the other 6 players on the Galway championship squad that weren't named on the 26 last Sunday?

Michael Daly and Kieran Molloy I assume are in there but Padraic Cunningham lined out (and played very well) for the Juniors on Sunday so I'm not sure whether he is still on the Senior panel or was released to the Juniors for the time being. Cian D'Arcy is surely going to play with the U20's as, I think, he is still eligible at that age grade.
Are Eoin Finnerty and Danny Cummins still in there? Who am I missing?

Daly, Molloy, Cummins, O'Beolain, Finnerty & Cunningham i'm guessing are the 6 based on the A v B game to open a pitch they had there a few weeks back. Probably no coincidence that the first 3 named missed so much of the year so he doesn't trust them to come back in as yet. Still not a bad sign that 3 footballers of that caliber can't make a 26 man squad.

Thanks, the squad is a bit top heavy up front compared to the number of backs.

Definitely. Making Silke all the bigger loss given that he can play both corner-back and wing-back. McDaid also although we lost him before we ever had him properly really.

Great depth up front though considering Daly and Cummins didn't even make the squad on the day. And there's a few good youngsters even behind them who are just not quite ready yet. I'd say even a team as talented as Mayo would love to have a Michael Daly to throw on up front. That said we could do with a couple of their half-backs.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 15, 2018, 07:27:03 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2018, 01:15:48 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on May 15, 2018, 12:36:37 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2018, 11:45:58 AM
Does anyone know for sure the other 6 players on the Galway championship squad that weren't named on the 26 last Sunday?

Michael Daly and Kieran Molloy I assume are in there but Padraic Cunningham lined out (and played very well) for the Juniors on Sunday so I'm not sure whether he is still on the Senior panel or was released to the Juniors for the time being. Cian D'Arcy is surely going to play with the U20's as, I think, he is still eligible at that age grade.
Are Eoin Finnerty and Danny Cummins still in there? Who am I missing?

Daly, Molloy, Cummins, O'Beolain, Finnerty & Cunningham i'm guessing are the 6 based on the A v B game to open a pitch they had there a few weeks back. Probably no coincidence that the first 3 named missed so much of the year so he doesn't trust them to come back in as yet. Still not a bad sign that 3 footballers of that caliber can't make a 26 man squad.

Thanks, the squad is a bit top heavy up front compared to the number of backs.

Definitely. Making Silke all the bigger loss given that he can play both corner-back and wing-back. McDaid also although we lost him before we ever had him properly really.

Great depth up front though considering Daly and Cummins didn't even make the squad on the day. And there's a few good youngsters even behind them who are just not quite ready yet. I'd say even a team as talented as Mayo would love to have a Michael Daly to throw on up front. That said we could do with a couple of their half-backs.
You would think that Molloy will start to push for a place as he becomes more familiar with the defensive structures - Dylan Wall is also a loss this year, I though he was more impressive during Corofins run that Molloy - he would add significantly to our defensive options with the lads already mentioned

MayoBuck

What are the chances of Daithí Burke throwing his lot in with the footballers? Surely he'd consider it next year if he thought Galway were serious all Ireland contenders. He'd make a good half back I'd say.

macdanger2

Quote from: Hound on May 15, 2018, 03:10:38 PM
Quote from: galwayman on May 15, 2018, 01:22:55 PM
Quote from: bucko on May 15, 2018, 12:52:57 PM
Cooke's introduction was for Conroy was initially as a temporary sub, which in the rules states does not count towards your six subs. However if the injured/bloodied player does not return to the pitch it is no longer a temporary substitution.
Not true. There is nothing in the rulebook to state that if the player that goes off as a bloodbsub doesn't come back on - then it counts as one of your 6 "normal" subs.
It's a loophole that there has been several examples of since the blood sub was introduced.
It really is a nonsense rule. I remember Rory O'Carroll going off with a cut head after 5 mins once, and he never came back (coz he was concussed), yet still it was considered a temporary blood sub for the whole match and we could (and did) make 6 more subs.

You could maybe put a timelimit on it, but that would be hard to police and you should give the cases where they are genuinely trying to get the lad back on the pitch as long as they need (e.g. COC and AOS in Limerick v Kerry).

Definitely a loophole that should be closed, it happened in some big game last year I think, it's been discussed on here several times.

Duine Eile

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 15, 2018, 08:09:15 PM
Cooke's introduction was for Conroy was initially as a temporary sub, which in the rules states does not count towards your six subs. However if the injured/bloodied player does not return to the pitch it is no longer a temporary substitution.
Not true. There is nothing in the rulebook to state that if the player that goes off as a bloodbsub doesn't come back on - then it counts as one of your 6 "normal" subs.
It's a loophole that there has been several examples of since the blood sub was introduced.
It really is a nonsense rule. I remember Rory O'Carroll going off with a cut head after 5 mins once, and he never came back (coz he was concussed), yet still it was considered a temporary blood sub for the whole match and we could (and did) make 6 more subs.

You could maybe put a timelimit on it, but that would be hard to police and you should give the cases where they are genuinely trying to get the lad back on the pitch as long as they need (e.g. COC and AOS in Limerick v Kerry).

Definitely a loophole that should be closed, it happened in some big game last year I think, it's been discussed on here several times.

It happened too in the Connacht club final in 2016 (I think) Ronan Steede had a nose injury and was on and off a few times

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: MayoBuck on May 15, 2018, 08:01:27 PM
What are the chances of Daithí Burke throwing his lot in with the footballers? Surely he'd consider it next year if he thought Galway were serious all Ireland contenders. He'd make a good half back I'd say.

Close to zero chance I'd say. Commited to the hurlers. Would be very hard to do both up to the highest level these days I'd say. Especially with all the extra fixtures of the Super 8's in football and provincial round robin championships in the hurling.

seafoid

He is one of the most important players on the hurling team. Galway haven't had a player like him since the 80s. Maybe if the hurlers won 4 in a row and called it a day he might change codes.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

MayoBuck

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 15, 2018, 08:33:11 PM

Close to zero chance I'd say. Commited to the hurlers. Would be very hard to do both up to the highest level these days I'd say. Especially with all the extra fixtures of the Super 8's in football and provincial round robin championships in the hurling.

No he couldn't play both at the same time, but considering he's already got a hurling all Ireland would he not try the football for a year? Can always change back if it doesn't work out.

Maroon Manc

Do any of Mayo posters think Rochford got his tactics wrong in the 2nd half with everyone retreating back to their own half given the wind?

larryin89

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 16, 2018, 12:52:24 PM
Do any of Mayo posters think Rochford got his tactics wrong in the 2nd half with everyone retreating back to their own half given the wind?

Yes . But I don't know if the energy is there or if it's a matter of is it too early for us. Time will tell but two corner backs on yellows and we didn't even throw in a few fast 50/50 balls . Personally I would of pushed Aido up for a little spell.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Blowitupref

Oddly both played the same tactics with the wind but maybe the sending off forced Mayo into a more conservative approach and losing their best and most mobile midfielder didn't help matters either. Saying all that the sides were locked on 0-11 each with 74 mins played and the obvious game changer was the goal.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Maroon Manc

Quote from: larryin89 on May 16, 2018, 01:28:19 PM

Yes . But I don't know if the energy is there or if it's a matter of is it too early for us. Time will tell but two corner backs on yellows and we didn't even throw in a few fast 50/50 balls . Personally I would of pushed Aido up for a little spell.

He probably would have done if the goal had come earlier, too late by then.

Watching Varley a few weeks ago he's certainly a better option than many of the forwards on the panel.

TheGreatest

Conroy - 7 stitches and severe concussion - True?

10 year ban if true.

westbound

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 15, 2018, 08:09:15 PM

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here a little bit, but how would you close the loophole?

Keep in mind, the purpose of the rule is player welfare/protection.
If it's a time limited temporary change (or even if it's at the end of the game when the temporary change becomes a permanent one), this would encourage managers to return player to the field who are not fit. For example, with 7 minutes of injury time gone last Sunday, Kevin Walsh would have brought back on Conroy even though it would have been completely unfair to bring back on an injured player (and possibly dangerous for the player). Similarly, if the temporaryy change becomes permanent after (say) 10 minutes, the temptation is there for the doctors/physios/manger to rush a player back onto the field to avoid using up a sub.

There is no doubt that it's a bit of a loophole at the moment, but perhaps leaving the loophole is better than removing it at the moment? That said, it'd be changed in a week if there was an incident similar to 'bloodgate' in the rugby!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: TheGreatest on May 16, 2018, 03:10:55 PM
Conroy - 7 stitches and severe concussion - True?

Definitely looked like he was knocked unconscious at one point. The thud of hitting the turf might have actually woken him up.

Thing is it could have been worse for him. Easily could have picked up a broken jaw or fractured cheekbone.