2018 ACFL Division 1

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, March 23, 2018, 08:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: Laoiseabu on April 26, 2018, 11:11:32 PM
Stradbally have been doing well up to this beating Odempseys last week and Graigue the week before . Can't see how anyone will cope with Portlaoise. Portlaoise also had a good sprinkle of their second team playing tonight too
They're phenomenal, fair play to Malachy, he has a great way about him.

SCFC

Quote from: Don Draper on April 26, 2018, 11:12:28 PM
Quote from: SCFC on April 26, 2018, 10:42:07 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on April 26, 2018, 08:54:39 PM
Just back from Delaney Park, someone call the guards, as there was a murder, plenty of witnesses there too for it.
Park Ratheniska lads seen in tears of laughter in the little town tonight.
To quote a great Stradbally saying from bygone years, I doubt it, the little town would beat them by that much and more I'd wager.
Not without robbing a few of their players first.

Laoiseabu

SCFC

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Results

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

redsetanta

Only the league but I'd say you can go back a very long way if ever that Stradbally got a 40 point beating in Div 1. Has any other team been given such a hiding in recent years?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

The PRO

Portlaoise were missing Brian Glynn, Scott Lawless, David Seale and possibly Cahir Healy last night.

Laoiseabu

Cahillane only played 15 , Bruno only played one half and Gareth Dillon only played one half too.

Laoiseabu

The Big question is ......... Is it how good Portlaoise are or how poor the othe clubs are ? As I was saying a lot of the second string playing and still humiliating teams

Butch Cassidy

Is this a wake up call that teams need to amalgamate at senior level? I know stradbally won the senior 2 years ago but they aren't winning underage and that's with the Gaels. It's inevitable that Arles will join up too as they are also struggling for numbers.

There are too many senior teams in Laois with some of them just happy to keep their senior status on an annual basis. 8-12 would be plenty.

Laoiseabu

Who will Portlaoise amalgamate with so ?

High Fielder

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on April 27, 2018, 01:04:52 PM
Is this a wake up call that teams need to amalgamate at senior level? I know stradbally won the senior 2 years ago but they aren't winning underage and that's with the Gaels. It's inevitable that Arles will join up too as they are also struggling for numbers.

There are too many senior teams in Laois with some of them just happy to keep their senior status on an annual basis. 8-12 would be plenty.

And nobody is really benefitting either. Portlaoise are no stronger for the lack of competition internally and this breeds disinterest in players who fall just that little bit short. For a club of their size, they are massive underachievers in my opinion. Winning Laois is nothing to crow about these days. All told, club foootball in Laois is a dung heap. Quite literally, one or two good young lads can make a massive difference to a team. It won't change because there is no appetite for that. As a result, improvement won't come easy for the county or clubs. A truly shocking score line irrespective of circumstances.....

Laoiseabu

Portlaoise winning Laois means nothing , a club of this size should be challenging for Leinster year after year nothing less should be expected

Clubber Lang

I would like to see Laois explore a system similar to that in Kerry for county championship. Having 16 senior clubs in the county of our size is pure madness. Reduce championship to 10 teams with tops 6 clubs staying senior and then 4 regional sides. strengthen the level of competition at intermediate and junior championship level as a consequence. You could still play a club championship earlier in the year (present the Kelly Cup to the winners of that competition and if a regional side were to win the county championship then the club champions would move forward into Leinster).   

High Fielder

I know what you're saying and you're certainly right about the amount of senior clubs. It is madness, especially as most of them would be Intermediate standard at a push.

Truth be told, outside of Portlaoise, NO club has enough players at their disposal. Port have potential, as do Graigue, but they invariably flatter to deceive. With the way Portlaoise are doing things (not entering teams at lower levels) it's hard to see how they can improve, but maybe they don't need to because nobody else is doing anything. The lack of ambition is sometimes the biggest enemy. Nobody wants to lower Portlaoise's sails, but a bit of competition wouldn't go astray.