Author Topic: New Car Advice  (Read 18662 times)

bigarsedkeeper

• View Profile
Re: New Car Advice
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2020, 05:09:41 PM »
Have a PCP deal coming to an end after 4 yrs in April.  Car is in good shape, almost, apart from needing a new bonnet due to an O'Neill's ball  >:( Going to cost approx 550 for fixing it going by prices I've got so far.  Car is under the 4 yr mileage allowance by approx. 1k miles, so no issues on that front.  When I check the price of a like for like car, same miles, in good shape, they're between 6250 and 7000 at dealerships.  (I can buy it outright as part of the PCP deal for 4700)

So my options are:

1: Use car as a trade in for a new one at same dealership.  Don't fix bonnet, when bringing it back and see what they say.
2: Use car as a trade in for a new one at same dealership.  Fix bonnet before returning it.
3: Hand car back and walk away, with bonnet fixed.
4: Buy car outright, will cost 4700, and own the car (prob get that back as a trade-in elsewhere hopefully)

I'm preferably looking for a change, and not necessarily with the same car type/dealership. 

Any thoughts on the most efficient way financially to exit a PCP deal?

I had a similar problem on PCP, couple of marks on different parts of the car. Dealer tried to take about 2k off the lowest value instead of money off the car value when I went to get another car off them. Told him to stick and bought the car outright. I'll get it fixed myself sometime before I trade in again. Put me off PCP completely. Think the salesman was being a knob though as opposed to the system - the dealers manager phoned me flat out after to get me to change my mind.

Anybody any good experiences with PCP? Maybe the car I bought at the time wasn't worth it. Might have been better if it was with a new or newish Merc/BMW/Audi to make it worthwhile

on the sideline

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2020, 05:40:11 PM »
Changing the car. Dealership offering 11.9% APR. Bank offering 11.2%.

Anyone any advice on where else to go or try for finance with better APR? That won’t leave a mark on my credit history if I search it up?

Also dealer offering GAP insurance at £399 for 3 years. Not taking it but do want to take out GAP insurance. Again any advice on where to go? Would be looking for 3 years. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 05:42:30 PM by on the sideline »

illdecide

• Quit your Jibba Jabbing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2020, 05:47:23 PM »

Anyone any advice on where else to go or try for finance with better APR? That won’t leave a mark on my credit history if I search it up?

Also dealer offering GAP insurance at £399 for 3 years. Not taking it but do want to take out GAP insurance. Again any advice on where to go? Would be looking for 3 years. Thanks

That's quite high, surely you can get a better deal than that. Try a different dealer and tell them the last one was offering a crap APR so they'll know you won't accept anything they throw at you...

I just put my car up for sale this afternoon...so am looking at cars atm
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

tyrone08

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2020, 07:19:32 PM »

That's quite high, surely you can get a better deal than that. Try a different dealer and tell them the last one was offering a crap APR so they'll know you won't accept anything they throw at you...

Was in a similar position a few years ago. Around 11% APR. took out a loan with a supermarket bank at 3.2% job sorted.

quit yo jibbajabba

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2020, 07:46:01 PM »
Yup came onto say similar to above, tescos, sainsburys, if accepted, be far superior to yer 11%

on the sideline

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2020, 08:15:30 PM »

Was in a similar position a few years ago. Around 11% APR. took out a loan with a supermarket bank at 3.2% job sorted.

Did you just find those on a price comparison site like Compare the Market? Does searching on those sites count as ‘soft search’ on your credit history or does it leave a mark on it? Thanks

tyrone08

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2020, 08:18:05 PM »

Did you just find those on a price comparison site like Compare the Market? Does searching on those sites count as ‘soft search’ on your credit history or does it leave a mark on it? Thanks

It was just advertised in store. Not sure about the soft search.

Targetman

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 11, 2020, 07:15:57 PM »
Thinking of buying an SUV with a budget of 15k - 10k, would appreciate any advice on what and what not to buy, something comfortable, reliable and easy on the eye

Kidder81

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 11, 2020, 08:06:51 PM »
Thinking of buying an SUV with a budget of 15k - 10k, would appreciate any advice on what and what not to buy, something comfortable, reliable and easy on the eye

Seat Ateca supposed to be very good

Tyrdub

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2020, 03:31:54 PM »

check out Whatcar.com  the revies on it are good plus you can compare different makes and models

Armagh Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2020, 09:22:48 PM »
VW Tiguan - hard to fault in any way, have had 3, 2.0 TDI Golf's before changing to 2.0 TDI Tiguan - excellent car, have it almost 2 yrs now and no bother. It is just as nippy  and economical as the Golf with comfortable seating and plenty of room. 

illdecide

• Quit your Jibba Jabbing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2020, 11:18:50 PM »
Seat Ateca are pretty much a VW anyway and prob a bit cheaper. two good quality SUV's mentioned there that wouldn't too far away from what you're looking
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 13, 2020, 01:02:35 AM »

Not a big car person but bought a Toyota Rav 4 in 2016 and I love it great car has never given me a bit of trouble and I’d be doing 15k miles a year!

Sportacus

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 13, 2020, 12:31:01 PM »
Would anyone be thinking electric - pros and cons? 

Harold Disgracey

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2020, 01:52:18 PM »

I have a Nissan X-Trail, only a 1.6 but fairly economical on the diesel. Nice to look at and very comfortable to drive.