Author Topic: The ulster rugby trial  (Read 181800 times)

Syferus

• View Profile
Re: The ulster rugby trial
« Reply #2040 on: March 12, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »
Prosecution playing a blinder. What was that about Harrison being a sound lad?

AQMP

• View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: March 12, 2018, 04:18:56 PM »
I wonder what good each of the defendants taking the stand has done. Reading the transcaript of Harrison's interview it appears as though he remembers only the small details that exonerates his 3 mates. I think the verdict is in the balance since we are only reading reports in the media, however based on that I can't get past the 'beyond reasonable doubt' which would lead to a conviction. Whatever the outcome though I think the other side will cry foul at the verdict given the level of grey areas that exist in the entire affair.   

I think the legal term for that is lying through your teeth!

AQMP

• View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: March 12, 2018, 04:22:42 PM »
Toby Hedworth QC has finished toying with questioning RH.  RH had a character witness.  The defence has no further witnesses, legal argument tomorrow. Closing speeches Wednesday.

That read like a feckin disaster for RH.  He seemed to know a huge amount about something he could remember very little about.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:24:32 PM by AQMP »

tintin25

• View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: March 12, 2018, 04:23:55 PM »
I alluded to it previously, but could say Olding be acquitted due to lack of evidence and Jackson be found guilty? (Based on what an earlier witness saw in the room and given he has denied penetrating?).

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: March 12, 2018, 04:25:13 PM »
Tobes filleted Harrison there.

It's amazing the way the defendants claim all these messages they sent between each other mean something other than than what they appear to mean.

It's like the whole thing was surrealist performance art.

Very post-modern and ironic.

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: March 12, 2018, 04:38:41 PM »
Could Harrison get done and the rest get off??

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: March 12, 2018, 04:42:13 PM »
The defence was going pretty well right up until the point they opened their mouths. Their legal team looks like something that was assembled outside Ollie's at 4:00am. Absolute half wits.

AQMP

• View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: March 12, 2018, 04:43:55 PM »
Timetable:

Wed - Fri has been set aside for closing speeches.  No sitting next Mon or Tues.  Judge will address jury next Wed (21st).  Jury deliberations will start then.

Sweeper 123

• View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: March 12, 2018, 04:44:19 PM »
Have to agree - the prosecution QC looks to be knowing what he is doing - while the defense and their witnesses look like muppets that are not prepared

David McKeown

• View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: March 12, 2018, 04:48:59 PM »
If the verdict is guilty, can the accused automatically appeal? And if the verdict is not guilty, does 'double jeopardy'  apply in UK law, or is that limited to the US?

There's no automatic right of appeal, any appeal must be on a point of law. In first instance any appeal would be to a single judge on written arguments who may or may not grant leave. A three judge panel will then hear the arguments and will either grant or refuse leave. If they refus leave that's the end of the matter. If they grant leave they will consider the merits of the appeal and rule accordingly.

From what I've read (usual caveats applying) the prosecution seem to have done a good job of making the defendants look either confused or like liars. There's not much I've read though to make me think they ha e made the complainant version any more believable. For a conviction she has to be believed at least as far as it relates to Jackson, Olding and McIlroy. For an acquittal they don't have to be believed at all.

It will be interesting to see what the Jury decides having heard all of the evidence.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:50:35 PM by David McKeown »

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: March 12, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »
I don't think any of the defendants are credible. Harrison and McIlroy in particular were all over the place.
Those biscuits are for the visitors

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: March 12, 2018, 04:56:33 PM »
I don't think any of the defendants are credible. Harrison and McIlroy in particular were all over the place.

I don't know if McIlroy comes across as an arsehole or (and I genuinely mean this) somewhat aloof with no real cognitive thoughts.

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: March 12, 2018, 04:57:39 PM »

I don't know if McIlroy comes across as an arsehole or (and I genuinely mean this) somewhat aloof with no real cognitive thoughts.

A sociopath maybe!

Franko

• View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: March 12, 2018, 05:03:09 PM »

Syferus?

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: March 12, 2018, 05:04:06 PM »

Syferus?

:o