Author Topic: The ulster rugby trial  (Read 210800 times)

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
Re: The ulster rugby trial
« Reply #2025 on: March 12, 2018, 03:04:37 PM »
Why would the defence not be allowed to submit such a thing as evidence??? If it was true??

The number of grown ups on here engaging in the wildest speculation, tittle tattle and gossip and posting opinions based on the flimsiest of rumours is amazing. And sad.

There's plenty of legal reasons why such evidence couldn't be adduced if and I stress if it were true in the first place. There are very strict rules on the admissibility of a complainants previous sexual history in rape trials and for good reasons. Just because it hasn't been admitted doesn't mean it's either true or not true.

could those be some of the legal issues the court has been dealing with?

Hard to know. Legal issues pop up in all trials.

Just for interest sake David what are the types of legal issues that are holding up the trial? They didn't start until 2pm today because of a legal issue again.

What kind of issues are they?

AQMP

• View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: March 12, 2018, 03:09:05 PM »
Nasty first question from the Prosecution to Harrison

P: Would you agree if the complainant is telling the truth then you, Jackson, Olding & McIlroy have good reason to lie?

RH: Yes 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:11:17 PM by AQMP »

theskull1

• View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: March 12, 2018, 03:11:16 PM »
As clockwork as rain, insinuations against a rape victim. What a tired and old playbook.

Insinuations?  No absolutely not. She allegedly made a complaint before. No one made any insinuation. Frankly Syferus the way you have behaved on here over this whole case is shocking. You have these men hung drawn and quartered based on the reports from the media. I know for an absolute fact that not everything is reported as I know people involved in it and am keeping my counsel. There is a pretty strong possibility of acquittal here due to the level of confusion and what Dinny referred to in regards to the what his Garda friend stated is very much the case it seems. You donít know if she was raped. You believe she was. No one on here does.

Given his demeanour and position on this thread from the get go ..... this is how I imagine him
Itís a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AQMP

• View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: March 12, 2018, 03:16:19 PM »
If Rosanna Cooney's tweets are accurate, it looks like a bit of a car crash from Harrison here.

AQMP

• View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: March 12, 2018, 03:21:42 PM »
Cooney and Frank Greaney both tweet that when asked why he (RH) didn't tell the police he had received a text from the complainant saying "what happened last night wasn't consensual" gives the classic answer "because they didn't ask me"

quit yo jibbajabba

• View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: March 12, 2018, 03:22:12 PM »
ah jaysus I tip off for a couple of hours and miss something. what did dinny say...asking for a friend  :D

generally speaking, "not the first time this has happened etc etc"...would this be about it....

must go check in on rosanna, she don't be deleting no tweets I tell thee!

TabClear

• View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: March 12, 2018, 03:23:52 PM »
As clockwork as rain, insinuations against a rape victim. What a tired and old playbook.

Insinuations?  No absolutely not. She allegedly made a complaint before. No one made any insinuation. Frankly Syferus the way you have behaved on here over this whole case is shocking. You have these men hung drawn and quartered based on the reports from the media. I know for an absolute fact that not everything is reported as I know people involved in it and am keeping my counsel. There is a pretty strong possibility of acquittal here due to the level of confusion and what Dinny referred to in regards to the what his Garda friend stated is very much the case it seems. You donít know if she was raped. You believe she was. No one on here does.

Dont waste your time BCB. The majority of the people on here are not arrogant enough to believe they know everything and  freely admit they have not got a clue what went on that night and just want justice done i.e. if they are guilty throw the book at them, if not acquit.

People have speculated what might have happened and discussed the legal issues/challenges facing the jury etc but at every juncture Syferus comes on here on his crusade and basically casts everyone who even contemplates a scenario that does not align with his own  as rape apologists etc etc. He obviously has some insight/knowledge/superior intelligence (subject to google working and him selecting the correct reference) that he is not willing to share... ::) ::)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 03:25:49 PM by TabClear »

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: March 12, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »

You probably should have stopped there, BC1.

Itís very interesting to watch how much dirt is thrown at the girl (the alleged victim) while excuses are made for the alleged rapists. Double standards doesnít begin to describe this thread.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: March 12, 2018, 03:32:40 PM »

Itís very interesting to watch how much dirt is thrown at the girl (the alleged victim) while excuses are made for the alleged rapists. Double standards doesnít begin to describe this thread.

If anything we're quite balanced in throwing dirt in this thread.  8)

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: March 12, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »

There are a few good posters alright. A few.

David McKeown

• View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: March 12, 2018, 03:46:43 PM »
Why would the defence not be allowed to submit such a thing as evidence??? If it was true??

The number of grown ups on here engaging in the wildest speculation, tittle tattle and gossip and posting opinions based on the flimsiest of rumours is amazing. And sad.

There's plenty of legal reasons why such evidence couldn't be adduced if and I stress if it were true in the first place. There are very strict rules on the admissibility of a complainants previous sexual history in rape trials and for good reasons. Just because it hasn't been admitted doesn't mean it's either true or not true.

could those be some of the legal issues the court has been dealing with?

Hard to know. Legal issues pop up in all trials.

Just for interest sake David what are the types of legal issues that are holding up the trial? They didn't start until 2pm today because of a legal issue again.

What kind of issues are they?

Genuinely hard to tell. They can cover all sorts from issues about bad character through to a discussion of how legal issues should be put to jurors in summing up to issues that arise because of answers to specific questions. Can really be anything. Without being there it would be impossible to tell.

Keyser soze

• View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: March 12, 2018, 03:48:12 PM »

There are a few good posters alright. A few.

Ur smugness knows no bounds...beyond laughable that you are so detached from reality that you consider yourself balanced. Or that you are a good poster. Or that u can pronounce on other posters qualities.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: March 12, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »
RH not coming across well!

P: Is the complainant a wonderful young woman?
RH: I don't know
P: Or is she a silly young woman?
RH: I think she is someone who has regretted what she's done
P: Regretted what she's done... with who?
RH: I'm not sure.

From Rosanna Cooney.

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: March 12, 2018, 04:14:09 PM »
I wonder what good each of the defendants taking the stand has done. Reading the transcaript of Harrison's interview it appears as though he remembers only the small details that exonerates his 3 mates. I think the verdict is in the balance since we are only reading reports in the media, however based on that I can't get past the 'beyond reasonable doubt' which would lead to a conviction. Whatever the outcome though I think the other side will cry foul at the verdict given the level of grey areas that exist in the entire affair.   

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: March 12, 2018, 04:16:14 PM »
If the verdict is guilty, can the accused automatically appeal? And if the verdict is not guilty, does 'double jeopardy'  apply in UK law, or is that limited to the US?