The 2018 National Hurling Leagues Discussion Thread

Started by slippery dodger, January 23, 2018, 05:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: johnnycool on March 09, 2018, 02:20:51 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 09, 2018, 10:49:24 AM
Quote from: redsetanta on March 09, 2018, 10:27:17 AM
Some cracking games this weekend.

Galway v Limerick - can Limerick finally get promoted.

Laois v Dublin - can Laois get a vital win to prevent a relegation play off.

KK v Wexford will be some battle in 1a considering the cats got some of their mojo back last time out and Davy will have Wexford going all out.
Galway have been taking it easy. Not sure they want to get promoted. They like 1B cos you can test out players at little cost. And still win the league. The setup is nuts.

Depends where you are in terms of team development.

Galway can live in 1B for a year or two as they've got a settled spine of the team by and large in their prime and are hardened championship campaigners whereas Limerick aren't.
They're a young and mostly untested team who haven't really had a good run in the championship for a few years now and need to be in 1A to get that on a regular basis.
The restructuring of the Munster and Leinster championships to round robin may help Limerick in this regard, but they really need out of 1B.

IMO the structure is good for the likes of Laois, Antrim and even Dublin and Offaly who really need to rebuild as they get competitive games and also get a crack at some bigger fish in the same division and maybe get a playoff place for another day out against a 1A team.

I wouldn't be rushing to change the hurling leagues just yet.
I would get rid of the Quarter finals. Maybe top 3 in 1A, Top in 1B in the Semi Finals. Or top 2 in each league.
But the counties voted to keep QF's even though they are trying to provide more weekends for Clubs. All about the coin for county boards.

johnnycool

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on March 09, 2018, 02:34:11 PM

KK v Wexford will be some battle in 1a considering the cats got some of their mojo back last time out and Davy will have Wexford going all out.
Galway have been taking it easy. Not sure they want to get promoted. They like 1B cos you can test out players at little cost. And still win the league. The setup is nuts.

Galway can live in 1B for a year or two as they've got a settled spine of the team by and large in their prime and are hardened championship campaigners whereas Limerick aren't.
They're a young and mostly untested team who haven't really had a good run in the championship for a few years now and need to be in 1A to get that on a regular basis.
The restructuring of the Munster and Leinster championships to round robin may help Limerick in this regard, but they really need out of 1B.

IMO the structure is good for the likes of Laois, Antrim and even Dublin and Offaly who really need to rebuild as they get competitive games and also get a crack at some bigger fish in the same division and maybe get a playoff place for another day out against a 1A team.

I would get rid of the Quarter finals. Maybe top 3 in 1A, Top in 1B in the Semi Finals. Or top 2 in each league.
But the counties voted to keep QF's even though they are trying to provide more weekends for Clubs. All about the coin for county boards.

Top two in each league would only work if the leagues were split over equal strength.

I'd suggest that the reason we've got the quarter finals is that it was a vote winner to get the likes of Offaly and Co onside, possibly coin related but I'd suggest it was motivated to be less cut off from the top teams.

If Limerick don't win on Sunday then I can hear more calls for a top 8 or 9 Div1 one and that would be a disaster for a lot of other teams.

Two Hands FFS

I would be pretty sure that the county boards are thinking of the extra money.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on March 09, 2018, 03:28:32 PM
Quote from: Two Hands FFS on March 09, 2018, 02:34:11 PM

Top two in each league would only work if the leagues were split over equal strength.

I'd suggest that the reason we've got the quarter finals is that it was a vote winner to get the likes of Offaly and Co onside, possibly coin related but I'd suggest it was motivated to be less cut off from the top teams.

If Limerick don't win on Sunday then I can hear more calls for a top 8 or 9 Div1 one and that would be a disaster for a lot of other teams.
There is no perfect structure because there are 8 top level teams and 4/6 who need encouragement and there is no way to serve everyone without disadvantaging others.
Galway got relegated after getting to 2 AIFS so 1B works perfectly . I think KK could do with a spell there as well. Having qfs gives 2 other 1B teams day out. But the structure is unfair to 1a teams imo. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Fair play to Antrim for beating Offaly.
Limerick beat Galway. Not surprising . I dont think Galway are interested in 1A.
Last year they lost to wexford in the regular league but then put on the boosters and won the competition.

seafoid

Qfs are

Tipp vs Dubs
KK vs Biffos
Clare v Limerick
Wexford v Galway

LooseCannon

Quote from: seafoid on March 11, 2018, 05:20:51 PM
Qfs are

Tipp vs Dubs
KK vs Biffos
Clare v Limerick
Wexford v Galway
Beautiful Intelligent Fellows From Offaly,
I'll have you know.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on March 11, 2018, 04:18:30 PM
Limerick beat Galway. Not surprising . I dont think Galway are interested in 1A.
Last year they lost to wexford in the regular league but then put on the boosters and won the competition.

Galway losing games on purpose now? 8 points up at halftime at home, punters paid in and you're happy enough they lost? Strange
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 11, 2018, 07:39:55 PM

Galway losing games on purpose now? 8 points up at halftime at home, punters paid in and you're happy enough they lost? Strange
It was the same last year. I don't mind as they win the all Ireland again ;). They didn't have a full strength team out either.
I think they will win the league as well. Funny old world. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on March 11, 2018, 08:43:08 PM

It was the same last year. I don't mind as they win the all Ireland again ;). They didn't have a full strength team out either.

But it's silly to say being in 1B is a good thing, wile most games are competitive I'm sure the Galway hurlers would prefer to be playing at a higher grade each week, Championship form is different of course but I know where I'd much prefer to be as a player
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 11, 2018, 09:14:39 PM

But it's silly to say being in 1B is a good thing, wile most games are competitive I'm sure the Galway hurlers would prefer to be playing at a higher grade each week, Championship form is different of course but I know where I'd much prefer to be as a player

Sure they're still in the league quarter finals away to Wexford and it wouldn't be a surprise if they won that one albeit it'll be a good test for them.
They were cruising in yesterdays game and whilst Limerick were ballsy the way they got back into the game they were far more near full strength and Galway hit some awful wides in the second half.
Limerick do need 1A, but even at that the new round robin championships allow teams to build up a head of steam.
With Galway in Leinster they've a bit more breathing space to get themselves into the AI semi-s.

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 11, 2018, 09:14:39 PM

There is no comparison between March hurling and Championship.
Galway at the mo want to build a deeper panel and 1B is the place for that.

manfromdelmonte

I hate that 'hurling people' don't do that remark from Duignan

I got so many sly digs of the hurley that I lost count
it goes on in every game and lots of other stuff too

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 12, 2018, 06:46:02 PM

Yes but hurlers generally move on and don't get on like girls! Dirty blows should be dealt with by the ref and if seen by the camera a ban should follow. Job done

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 13, 2018, 07:51:25 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 12, 2018, 06:46:02 PM

Yes but hurlers generally move on and don't get on like girls! Dirty blows should be dealt with by the ref and if seen by the camera a ban should follow. Job done
the eulogising of hurling folk is ridiculous
as if they are a different race or something

county hurlers and county management would sell their own mother to gain an advantage