Derry Girls - Channel 4

Started by longballin, January 04, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Where's decent for a bite of lunch in the city? Will have 2 teenage sons with me so nothing too fancy but plenty of it! Might scoop a pint too!

screenexile

The Exchange
Pykes and Pommes
Walled City Brewery
Fitzroy

All decent

Tony Baloney

rrhf

rosnarun

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on May 21, 2022, 01:34:00 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 19, 2022, 11:21:34 PM
Quote from: Loughshore2022 on May 19, 2022, 07:18:36 PM
A nonsense show that only got famous because it is set in the 90's, the writer knew this would work. The young hipster youth love the 90s, they have a romanticised view of it. That is why the show FRIENDS is so big now, because of 90s nostalgia, it is probably bigger now that when it actually aired.
I also notice how the whole of county Derry are buying into the whole 'Derry Girl' thing, for example you would see the Derry ladies teams refer to themselves as Derry Girls on social media. The Eurovision girl from Bellaghy was also called a Derry girl. I don't know about anyone else but as a South Derry native I have little contact with any goings on in Derry City, I haven't even been there in 8 years. The only connection to Derry I have is that the county was named after the town. I am sure people in North Cork for example can relate to this agenda.

I suppose it's a good feel show that people want to be connected with.  Tbh as a city man I'd not have seen county Derry only for playing GAA, never felt like my county, we very rarely ventured over the bridge during troubles and i think i was only in Belfast handful of times before went to uni . Donegal always felt more natural in every way,family names, relations , work,history , holidays etc

West of Derry city actually used to be in Donegal during the early years of counties before Londonderry was formed. South Derry was North East Tyrone believe it or not. I would say that modern South Derry has more in common with South Antrim though.
Another interesting thing about history is that Inishowen and North co.Derry was part of Tir Eoghain before modern East Tyrone was. It was in the 'Cenel Eoghain' which was the earliest version of Tyrone. So basically Dungiven was in Tyrone before Dungannon was. Irish history is a complex thing.
If Derry City had stayed in Donegal then County Donegal could have been called Londonderry.
Was there not  a county Coleraine at some Point?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

trailer

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on May 21, 2022, 01:34:00 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 19, 2022, 11:21:34 PM
Quote from: Loughshore2022 on May 19, 2022, 07:18:36 PM
A nonsense show that only got famous because it is set in the 90's, the writer knew this would work. The young hipster youth love the 90s, they have a romanticised view of it. That is why the show FRIENDS is so big now, because of 90s nostalgia, it is probably bigger now that when it actually aired.
I also notice how the whole of county Derry are buying into the whole 'Derry Girl' thing, for example you would see the Derry ladies teams refer to themselves as Derry Girls on social media. The Eurovision girl from Bellaghy was also called a Derry girl. I don't know about anyone else but as a South Derry native I have little contact with any goings on in Derry City, I haven't even been there in 8 years. The only connection to Derry I have is that the county was named after the town. I am sure people in North Cork for example can relate to this agenda.

I suppose it's a good feel show that people want to be connected with.  Tbh as a city man I'd not have seen county Derry only for playing GAA, never felt like my county, we very rarely ventured over the bridge during troubles and i think i was only in Belfast handful of times before went to uni . Donegal always felt more natural in every way,family names, relations , work,history , holidays etc

West of Derry city actually used to be in Donegal during the early years of counties before Londonderry was formed. South Derry was North East Tyrone believe it or not. I would say that modern South Derry has more in common with South Antrim though.
Another interesting thing about history is that Inishowen and North co.Derry was part of Tir Eoghain before modern East Tyrone was. It was in the 'Cenel Eoghain' which was the earliest version of Tyrone. So basically Dungiven was in Tyrone before Dungannon was. Irish history is a complex thing.
If Derry City had stayed in Donegal then County Donegal could have been called Londonderry.

Us South Tyrone ones drove them Dungiven wans out.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

We still feel Donegal on the west bank.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 15, 2022, 11:23:21 AM
'We' is a very broad statement. Not everyone would feel that way.

Tony Baloney

Don't be hijacking my thread about Derry city eating houses.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 15, 2022, 11:41:40 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 15, 2022, 11:23:21 AM
'We' is a very broad statement. Not everyone would feel that way.

It is. But id say 80% of us are from Inishowen easily going back 2-3 geneartions, as a city man that would be my experience . The surnames are the give away. Id feel more at home in Buncrana than Dungiven

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 15, 2022, 11:47:10 AM

Where do you come from "Donegal", hows your purdies "big and small" how do you eat them "skin n all"

oakleaflad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 15, 2022, 11:47:10 AM
Pyke 'N' Pommes I reckon is a good shout for you and the sons. Enjoy!

Eamonnca1

Well that's me all caught up on all the episodes. I don't know what some of yiz are smoking. It was a great show! I find an accent so similar to my own a bit hard to listen to on TV at times, and there is a bit of over-acting, but the humour and clever writing more than made up for it. The historical details (the old cars, the music) were spot on. One thing I liked was how every character was so unique with a fully fleshed out personality, which you don't always see in TV these days. Even minor characters that appear in one or two episodes are hillarious. Like your one in the railway station talking on the phone at full volume about her sex life, or yer man in the shop that roars at the customers, or the edgy English literature teacher. Great stuff altogether. It'll be a classic in years to come, and the curmudgeons giving out about it are going to look even funnier.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 28, 2022, 05:59:12 PM
Well that's me all caught up on all the episodes. I don't know what some of yiz are smoking. It was a great show! I find an accent so similar to my own a bit hard to listen to on TV at times, and there is a bit of over-acting, but the humour and clever writing more than made up for it. The historical details (the old cars, the music) were spot on. One thing I liked was how every character was so unique with a fully fleshed out personality, which you don't always see in TV these days. Even minor characters that appear in one or two episodes are hillarious. Like your one in the railway station talking on the phone at full volume about her sex life, or yer man in the shop that roars at the customers, or the edgy English literature teacher. Great stuff altogether. It'll be a classic in years to come, and the curmudgeons giving out about it are going to look even funnier.

Have you encountered any Americans who have seen it? I expect even the publicity today will cause a few more to watch it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B