Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 26, 2017, 06:27:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 26, 2017, 04:58:55 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 26, 2017, 03:54:30 PM
Harp must be the worst drink ever made.
Worse than Budweiser ?

Much worse. It's vile.

As bad as Harp is, butt-wiper is the biggest con in brewing history.   I've tasted better home brew as a student.  The stuff doesn't even have a head ffs!

shantygael

Budweiser and miller are that bad that you actually get a sore head whilst drinking them ,full of chemicals.
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 26, 2017, 06:27:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 26, 2017, 04:58:55 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 26, 2017, 03:54:30 PM
Harp must be the worst drink ever made.
Worse than Budweiser ?

Much worse. It's vile.
People don't like Bud as it doesn't take of much. But that's the point. Harp is rotten. Having said that it (with a bottle of Concorde) was the carryout of choice when I wasn't old enough to drink.

Itchy

Quote from: StGallsGAA on December 26, 2017, 02:06:37 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 25, 2017, 11:24:39 AM
Anyone drinking Harp these days or Bass. Two drinks be loved of nordies and two absolute piss drinks.

So what lager do you free-state fanny-pads drink then?

In the south, enlightened men have turned to craft beer. Before purchasing said beer you must pass a trendy test which will certainly require you to have a beard. You will also need to know the name of some obscure craft beer only available in the arsehole of nowhere and request this beer in a pub that's never heard of it. This will get you trend cred which will allow you to settle for whatever craft beer they serve. I've no beard so settle for a pint of Smithwicks.

Rossfan

You should look for a bottle of "Arigna"
It's around 8% and it's from the Black Donkey brewery in Ballinlough  (Syfīnland).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Square Ball

All this talk of crap beer, beer giving hangovers and chemicals and not a mention of Tennents
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on December 26, 2017, 11:37:15 PM
It's around 8% and it's from the Black Donkey brewery in Ballinlough  (Syfīnland).

So that's what wrong with the f**ker, full of black donkey

Rossfan

Quote from: Itchy on December 26, 2017, 11:40:28 PM

:D ;D :)

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on December 26, 2017, 11:41:37 PM

I had some of the TKO IPA today actually. Great to see local brewers popping up.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on December 26, 2017, 11:51:32 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 26, 2017, 11:41:37 PM

I had some of the TKO IPA today actually. Great to see local brewers popping up.
Wait'll the new Distillery gets up and running in Boyle.
That'll put an end to the Laythrum Gunpowder

Rossfan

Never mind the quality......feel the width....or fall victim to the PR.

thewobbler

Quote from: hardstation on December 27, 2017, 12:11:02 AM
The gin craze shows the power of marketing. Put it in a fancy coloured bottle and somebody will buy your poitin. Good luck to them too. While there are people willing to pay way over the odds, fill yer boots.

Gin was ripe for this for years though. It's one of the few spirits that is genuinely flexible for cocktails, for mixing with just about any split/baby, and the better ones are pretty good neat. The world just seemed to forget this in the 1990s. Marketers might have done everyone a favour here! Though why anyone would pay £30 for a bottle of Hendricks when there's genuinely good brands available for half that price, I'll never know.

—-

The craft beer movement, I would suggest, has been inadvertently caused by Diageo and their feckless mission to destroy the on trade.

10 years ago, almost every pub up here was reducing itself to sellingnonly guinness, Smithwicks and Carlsberg on draught. For a large percentage of people who don't like darker beers, that meant carlsberg only. Which for anyone with even a semblance of tastebuds means no choice at all. Meanwhile, the price of this shite continued to rise year on year. People voted with their feet and hard earned cash, and stopped visiting pubs where this was happening. Pubs that put on something that was "anything but carlsberg" began enjoying the benefits.

Diageo is one evil, odd, twisted bastard of a company. They spent 50 years creating a monopoly situation and have then spent the past 20 years alienating its customers with overpriced bland muck, which for some reason they're happy to retail to the ultra competitive world of supermarkets at a 3rd of the wholesale price.

Syferus

In fairness to Diageo they've produced some good stuff in recent years. The speciality craft Guiness have been generally good and Hop House is easily the best widely available draught larger imho. Well, ok, that's all entirely under the Guiness brand which remains pretty excellent overall. From advertising to the actual fact a good pint of Guiness just tastes great it's one of the few brand names that still carry any weight in the drinks industry for me.

Cider has taken a left turn into the Snapchat generation with candy-flavoured shîte like Orchard Thieves and Outcider.

thewobbler

Quote from: hardstation on December 27, 2017, 01:05:50 AM
Hmm, unsure about that. The smoking ban and reduction in drink driving can't be ruled out as major changes in pub life in the last 20 years. There has been a massive cultural shift too and it's not just cost driving it.
As well as that, it's a lot handier for Diageo to whack it in a tin and let someone else deal with it.

All factors, no doubt.

I'vw worked in off and and on sales for a large part of my life.

In 1995 I was a fresher, and a 12 pack of Carlsberg was £6.99. A pint in Belfast at the same time was generally £1.30-£1.50. When the Bot reopened that December and charged £1.70 a pint it was the first time anyone couldn't get 3 pints for a fiver in Belfast.

22 years later, I can get 12 Carlsberg  for £7.99 most of the time, and £8.99 all of the time. That pint in the Bot is now £4.20. That, to me, is ultimately the single biggest factor in pub decline. And I will never understand why Diageo want to compete in supermarkets while killing their monopoly.