Author Topic: The Official World Cup 2018 Thread  (Read 50166 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Official World Cup 2018 Thread
« Reply #1740 on: July 15, 2018, 10:29:04 AM »
Croatia's national television station proclaimed their team "the future world champions" after their semi-final victory.

Now that's an actual example of the supposed arrogance emanating from England that I havent heard any actual examples of before the semi-final.

Should Croatia lose tomorrow, I presume we'll be hearing and reading Ewan MacKenna and all the other online England-hating blowhards laying into Croatia for their actual arrogance, and telling us how they were deluded?

Nah, I doubt it...

Youíre full of shit, any people from Croatia Iíve met this week are very ecstatic about being in the final.

Iíve certainly found conversations with bar men, taxi drivers or ones at the beach have not in any way thought they have won the final.. getting past England was a big deal, but hey youíll get Wrightys in every sports channel..
That you of all people should have the lack of self-awareness to call anybody else "full of shit" is tremendously amusing.

I've absolutely no problem with the Croatians being excited at the possibility of winning a World Cup, why wouldn't they be. They're in the final. I can't think why anybody else would have a problem with it either.

But then again I can't think why anybody would have a problem with English people getting excited at the possibility of reaching a final when they were in the semi-final.

Now, Croatia's history of Naziism, their refusal to face up to it, and the far right mentality that seems to still infect politics there, I would definitely have a problem with!

If Iím full of shit thatís grand, (I donít take this board serious at all) your opinion and other faceless people on here mean absolutely nothing, and if anyone loses a bit of sleep or worry what people on an anonymous discussion board think, then they should catch themselves on..

As for bringing politics into sport then thatís a dick thing to do, every county has a past that no one is proud of, or elements within current governments! What that has got to do with a football match is beyond me! But carry on

Indeed you are full of shit, nobody takes you seriously, and your opinion is worth nothing.

I think you're in denial about how seriously you take yourself though, which seems to be very.

Iím not looking friends Sid, Iím not looking to be taken seriously either.. but laughing at your posts makes me smile..
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

BennyHarp

• View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: July 15, 2018, 10:38:24 AM »
Croatia's national television station proclaimed their team "the future world champions" after their semi-final victory.

Now that's an actual example of the supposed arrogance emanating from England that I havent heard any actual examples of before the semi-final.

Should Croatia lose tomorrow, I presume we'll be hearing and reading Ewan MacKenna and all the other online England-hating blowhards laying into Croatia for their actual arrogance, and telling us how they were deluded?

Nah, I doubt it...

Youíre full of shit, any people from Croatia Iíve met this week are very ecstatic about being in the final.

Iíve certainly found conversations with bar men, taxi drivers or ones at the beach have not in any way thought they have won the final.. getting past England was a big deal, but hey youíll get Wrightys in every sports channel..

I live in England and I can tell you that not one person I spoke to actually believed England had won the World Cup after making the semi final. Yes they believed they could beat Croatia but ffs so would Ireland if we played them at that stage. Irish people so want the English to be arrogant so they can laugh at them when the fail and don t really care if what they believe is true or not. .The whole footballs coming home thing was tongue in cheek. But sure that doesnít fit the narrative that people want to portray. Itís interesting that Irish peopleís view can still be driven by people in the English media, your Wrightys etc.
That was never a square ball!!

shark

• View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: July 15, 2018, 11:52:16 AM »

Nah, I doubt it...

I live in England and I can tell you that not one person I spoke to actually believed England had won the World Cup after making the semi final. Yes they believed they could beat Croatia but ffs so would Ireland if we played them at that stage. Irish people so want the English to be arrogant so they can laugh at them when the fail and don t really care if what they believe is true or not. .The whole footballs coming home thing was tongue in cheek. But sure that doesnít fit the narrative that people want to portray. Itís interesting that Irish peopleís view can still be driven by people in the English media, your Wrightys etc.

Thatís pretty much it from my experience too. Irish people projecting arrogance on to the English fans. Tying to create something to knock down, that in reality isnít there.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: July 15, 2018, 12:24:39 PM »
spent a few years in England as well and the arrogance around the national team is unreal. They need to ditch that song for starters like they have some ownership on the game and entitlement.
Why on earth would they ditch it?

It's a brilliant song - full of self-deprecation and humour.

World In Motion is another classic.

Do you think it's time Irish supporters ditched the "Put 'Em Under Pressure" song?

Containing as it does the line "we'll really shake them up them up when we win the World Cup, cause Ireland are the greatest football team"?

Which obviously showed that the whole Irish nation was drunk on its own sense of arrogance, entitlement and delusion, like.

England is rightly proud of its status as the home of football. Why wouldn't they celebrate that history?

They have a football culture that is unrivalled anywhere in the world, with huge attendances and full stadiums all the way down the divisions, right down to non-league level, every single week during the season. No other country has anything close to that. Go to Italy or Spain or Germany and see how many people attend second division matches.

And it's a football culture that is followed religiously here. English football is Ireland's de facto national sport, like it or not. It's far more widely followed on a regular basis than either hurling or Gaelic football is.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: July 15, 2018, 12:30:29 PM »
Put em under pressure has been ditched for a long time sid...

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: July 15, 2018, 12:31:45 PM »
Really?

I'm a regular attendee at Ireland matches and you're dead wrong about that.

longballin

• View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: July 15, 2018, 12:32:45 PM »
spent a few years in England as well and the arrogance around the national team is unreal. They need to ditch that song for starters like they have some ownership on the game and entitlement.

Do you think it's time Irish supporters ditched the "Put 'Em Under Pressure" song?

Containing as it does the line "we'll really shake them up them up when we win the World Cup, cause Ireland are the greatest football team"?

Which obviously showed that the whole Irish nation was drunk on its own sense of arrogance, entitlement and delusion, like.

England is rightly proud of its status as the home of football. Why wouldn't they celebrate that history?

They have a football culture that is unrivalled anywhere in the world, with huge attendances and full stadiums all the way down the divisions, right down to non-league level, every single week during the season. No other country has anything close to that. Go to Italy or Spain or Germany and see how many people attend second division matches.

And it's a football culture that is followed religiously here. English football is Ireland's de facto national sport, like it or not. It's far more widely followed on a regular basis than either hurling or Gaelic football is.

Has also been toxic with racism and thugs while England supporters have been the bain of other countries only this time they knew what would happen if they put a foot out of step in Russia. They don't own the game. Was great to see the hures beat.  That song is triumphalism and arrogant and the football coming home nonsense was really tapped into by Crotia if you listen to their interviews after. Home me arse
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:38:12 PM by longballin »

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: July 15, 2018, 12:38:07 PM »

Has also been toxic with racism and thugs while England supporters have been the bain of other countries only this time they knew what would happen if they put a foot out of step in Russia. They don't own the game. Was great to see the hures beat.

What's that got to do with a comedy song that takes the piss out of themselves?
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

longballin

• View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: July 15, 2018, 12:44:17 PM »

Has also been toxic with racism and thugs while England supporters have been the bain of other countries only this time they knew what would happen if they put a foot out of step in Russia. They don't own the game. Was great to see the hures beat.

they don't take the piss out of themselves. They still like to think they're the master race.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: July 15, 2018, 12:48:07 PM »
Really?

I'm a season ticket holder for about 6 years. I have not heard it once at the aviva. You must sit somewhere different from me. I was in poland in 2012. I might have heard it once or twice there thinking back on it but really that song is not sung much at all.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: July 15, 2018, 12:53:57 PM »

Toxic with racism? What the fook? The song was written by two Jews and a man of Irish Catholic background.

The way the whole of the English public got behind their team was the very anithesis of racism, you dope.

It cut across all classes and colours. Which is hardly suprising, as so did the team itself.

It was the very definition of a positive, non-threatening, inclusive affirmation of Englishness.

Nobody owns the game. England don't claim to.

But they are they traditional home of the game. That's a fact. They're rightly proud of that.

If you want to look for racism in football, England is now one of the last places you'd look, because England made a concerted attempt to stamp out racism in football decades ago. There's always more that can be done, but on the whole they've been very successful in doing that.

If you want to look for toxic racism in football, look to the likes of Russia, today's finalists Croatia, and Italy, none of whom have even admitted they have a problem.

Serie A was once the world's greatest league, but it decided to let the thugs call the shots. Now vast swathes of empty seats are the norm there.

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: July 15, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »

they don't take the piss out of themselves. They still like to think they're the master race.

You said the first thing they need to do is ditch the song.

The song is a comedy song, that takes the piss out of English football failures.

What has that got to to with arrogance etc?
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: July 15, 2018, 01:01:22 PM »

I think you're very much confusing with them with another country there.

As I stated previously, Croatia has a strong Nazi history, concentration camps, exterminations and all.

Croatia as a state has embraced that shameful history as a something to be proud of, rather than confront it as a national shame like they should do.

Who thinks they're the master race again?

And the English very much do take the piss out of themselves. They're the best in the world at it. Maybe that's what you were thinking of - that they're the "master race" at sending themselves up?

There are a hell of a lot of Irish that could learn a thing or two about self-deprecation from them, by the looks of things.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: July 15, 2018, 01:10:44 PM »
Really?

I'm a season ticket holder for about 6 years. I have not heard it once at the aviva. You must sit somewhere different from me. I was in poland in 2012. I might have heard it once or twice there thinking back on it but really that song is not sung much at all.
I've been going to Ireland matches for 30 years.

The song has been an absolute staple of the supporters for the last 28 years.

Supporters like myself and six others belting it out at the top of our voices in a flat in Copenhagen three hours before the play-off last November.

I think you're missing an irony detector here.

The following statement was an example of irony and absurdity.

It was not a serious statement, and it is a shame to have to explain that.

Neither is the slogan "The Greatest League In The World" that the League of Ireland uses, a serious statement.

It is not a claim that the League Of Ireland is actually the greatest league in the world.

It is an obviously ironic send up of themselves.

Pah, the arrogance, the entitlement of League of Ireland supporters, thinking they have the greatest league on the world - it makes me sick, I tells ya!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:13:27 PM by sid waddell »

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 15, 2018, 01:16:47 PM »

I think you're very much confusing with them with another country there.

As I stated previously, Croatia has a strong Nazi history, concentration camps, exterminations and all.

Croatia as a state has embraced that shameful history as a something to be proud of, rather than confront it as a national shame like they should do.

Who thinks they're the master race again?

And the English very much do take the piss out of themselves. They're the best in the world at it. Maybe that's what you were thinking of - that they're the "master race" at sending themselves up?

There are a hell of a lot of Irish that could learn a thing or two about self-deprecation from them, by the looks of things.

Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)