Author Topic: The Official World Cup 2018 Thread  (Read 47730 times)

shark

• View Profile
Re: The Official World Cup 2018 Thread
« Reply #1710 on: July 12, 2018, 02:28:15 PM »
England were never going to beat a good team playing that way, they simply don't have the midfield for it. England strengths were good fullbacks who are very quick, a good winger in Sterling and good attacking midfielder in Ali whilst having one of the best forwards in Kane. Then there's Rashford who can play a few different roles. To play Ali & Lingard in the same midfield 3 against someone as good as Modric is never going to work out for a full 90 minutes.

Southgate is lucky that Colombia were missing their best player as I suspect if he'd played Colombia would have won and he'd have got plenty of criticism. They've had a good world cup because of the draw and coudn't beat any of the 3 good teams they played. They beat a Swedish team who don't have a player good enough to get in the England team.

Contrary to what many beieve I think big Sam might have got that England team to a final with the easy draw they had.

While agreeing with most of what you're saying, and acknowledging that Sweden played poorly against England, we should not dismiss that win for England. Sweden beat France and Italy on their way to qualifying. Finished ahead of The Netherlands, ahead of Germany in their group, and beat a decent Swiss team.

Maroon Manc

• View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: July 12, 2018, 02:33:11 PM »
England were never going to beat a good team playing that way, they simply don't have the midfield for it. England strengths were good fullbacks who are very quick, a good winger in Sterling and good attacking midfielder in Ali whilst having one of the best forwards in Kane. Then there's Rashford who can play a few different roles. To play Ali & Lingard in the same midfield 3 against someone as good as Modric is never going to work out for a full 90 minutes.

Southgate is lucky that Colombia were missing their best player as I suspect if he'd played Colombia would have won and he'd have got plenty of criticism. They've had a good world cup because of the draw and coudn't beat any of the 3 good teams they played. They beat a Swedish team who don't have a player good enough to get in the England team.

Contrary to what many beieve I think big Sam might have got that England team to a final with the easy draw they had.

While agreeing with most of what you're saying, and acknowledging that Sweden played poorly against England, we should not dismiss that win for England. Sweden beat France and Italy on their way to qualifying. Finished ahead of The Netherlands, ahead of Germany in their group, and beat a decent Swiss team.

You've got a point but those Dutch, Italian & German teams were far from vintage. It was a big win form them in fairness but given the individuals in that Swedish team they shouldn't be beating an England team that actually looked organised for a change.

Over the Bar

• '03 + '05 = '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: July 12, 2018, 10:49:39 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

🇭🇷 Dejan Lovren:

🗣 "I took Liverpool to the final of the Champions League & now Croatia to the World Cup Final. I think people should recognise that I am one of the best defenders in the world." https://t.co/m6gGUjCttz

laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: July 14, 2018, 03:13:47 PM »
England all over the shop here. Could be in for a hiding.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: July 14, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »
I suppose this puts the theory that Kane was injured in last game!

After watching the tennis, this game is dung in terms of excitement or skill!

Back to sunbathing, drinking and chillaxing

Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: July 14, 2018, 04:26:09 PM »
Do the locals fancy their chances 2moro MR? Bound to be some excitement where you are!

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: July 14, 2018, 04:39:08 PM »
Do the locals fancy their chances 2moro MR? Bound to be some excitement where you are!

Speaking to a few last night and the general gist is they believe they can win because of their never say die attitude.. they know the tiredness might set in but think they have a chance.. lovely friendly people tbh.

I said to a guy last night that we’ve been on holiday in France when won it, and in Spain when they won it, though we ain’t in Russia we are holidaying in another finalists country! He was chuffed bought us a drink.

The place is completely decked out in flags, colours,everyone wearing tops..
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Insane Bolt

• View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: July 14, 2018, 04:56:08 PM »
Some stat for golden boot Kane... last shot on target was penalty v Colombia 🙄
Listening to Hoddle reminded me of Boris.....trying to polish a turd😂

dec

• View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: July 14, 2018, 05:01:42 PM »
England join Egypt and Panama as the only teams to lose 3 games in this tournament.

JPGJOHNNYG

• View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 14, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »
England join Egypt and Panama as the only teams to lose 3 games in this tournament.

Joke but arise Sir Gareth for beating a crap Sweden. Roy Keane nailed it the English public and media have lost the plot.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: July 14, 2018, 07:14:51 PM »
They were half decent in the second half of that game but just don't have cutting edge.

Unlikely they will get that far for a while as lucky draw mind but they are solid enough considering the players at their disposal.

Ian wright is a twat and would have been with or without them doing well anyway.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: July 14, 2018, 07:15:06 PM »

Joke but arise Sir Gareth for beating a crap Sweden. Roy Keane nailed it the English public and media have lost the plot.

Keane called them out after Panama. Saying them eejits on itv panel had England already in the final. He was proved correct.

On another note, Kane must be the worst winner ever of the golden wellyboot.

square_ball

• View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: July 14, 2018, 08:16:07 PM »

Keane called them out after Panama. Saying them eejits on itv panel had England already in the final. He was proved correct.

Oleg Salenko

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: July 14, 2018, 09:54:35 PM »

Oleg Salenko

Only 2 of his were penalties.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: July 14, 2018, 09:55:22 PM »

Keane was proved correct on precisely nothing.

He made an ape of himself, as he tends to do at World Cups.