Author Topic: The Official World Cup 2018 Thread  (Read 50198 times)

bennydorano

• View Profile
Re: The Official World Cup 2018 Thread
« Reply #555 on: June 22, 2018, 09:54:48 PM »
If rumours are to be believed an Sterling is dropped I think it's good news for England, shows that Southgate could see he was rubbish v Tunisia and also has the balls to drop him. I think things might be different for England this tournament, in previous years egos were all trying to be managed, they had a wealth of talent but managers invariably went for big name players played slightly out of position rather than play a lesser light in his strongest position.

Early days obviously but they've a decent chance of success, semis at least likely imo. Their Achilles heel is the defence, Walker, Stones & Maguire are all potential bombscares. Think they'll be a much better team without Sterling (or if he's played it should be as a winger).

Sterling is a good athlete but isnít a footballer. England are an average side who are well managed at the moment. They can bully weak teams with their athleticism, pace and baility to press but when they come up against any decent technical team theyíll be found out.

Sterling is pretty clearly a better footballer than the likes of Rashford or Vardy. Itís hard to stand out in such an average outfit as Englandís current team.
A better winger but not a better striker.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 22, 2018, 10:30:47 PM »
Can't believe all this talk of football greats and none of you have mentioned Terry Phelan😎
To be fair, not even in his wildest dreams has Cristiano Ronaldo ever been capable of scoring a goal as good as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBBjWbj0MQU

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 22, 2018, 10:49:04 PM »
If rumours are to be believed an Sterling is dropped I think it's good news for England, shows that Southgate could see he was rubbish v Tunisia and also has the balls to drop him. I think things might be different for England this tournament, in previous years egos were all trying to be managed, they had a wealth of talent but managers invariably went for big name players played slightly out of position rather than play a lesser light in his strongest position.

Early days obviously but they've a decent chance of success, semis at least likely imo. Their Achilles heel is the defence, Walker, Stones & Maguire are all potential bombscares. Think they'll be a much better team without Sterling (or if he's played it should be as a winger).

Sterling is a good athlete but isnít a footballer. England are an average side who are well managed at the moment. They can bully weak teams with their athleticism, pace and baility to press but when they come up against any decent technical team theyíll be found out.

Sterling is pretty clearly a better footballer than the likes of Rashford or Vardy. Itís hard to stand out in such an average outfit as Englandís current team.
A better winger but not a better striker.

But heís being played as a CAM?

bennydorano

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 22, 2018, 11:00:57 PM »
He looked totally lost in his central role - off Kane.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 11:12:30 PM by bennydorano »

longballin

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 22, 2018, 11:33:05 PM »
Can't believe all this talk of football greats and none of you have mentioned Terry Phelan😎
To be fair, not even in his wildest dreams has Cristiano Ronaldo ever been capable of scoring a goal as good as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBBjWbj0MQU

No one tried to tackle him    :D

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 22, 2018, 11:38:41 PM »
What a goal.

Did it win goal of the month or season?

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 23, 2018, 03:40:59 AM »
I absolutely love that Xhaka and Shaquri stuck it to the Serbs. Poetic justice.

ziggy90

• Waiting for manna coming from the west.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 23, 2018, 06:41:02 AM »
Who would you like to "stick it to" the Croats?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 23, 2018, 07:07:54 AM »
Two ethnic Albanians with the goals and Xhaka with a double eagle celebration. His father was imprisoned for three years fire protesting against Milosevic.
The Serb  fans were whistling the 2 all match. 
Kosovo v Serbia is very strong

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/23/xhaka-and-shaqiri-goal-celebrations-bring-balkan-politics-to-world-cup
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:45:30 AM by seafoid »
Those biscuits are for the visitors

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 23, 2018, 08:35:29 AM »
The celebrations were great and all but how Mitrovic didn't get a penalty off VAR I'll never know. Both teams have looked good and Serbia will definitely put it up to Brazil.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

rrhf

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 23, 2018, 08:46:03 AM »
You sir are a hypocrite then  re Gaza

shark

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 23, 2018, 09:58:25 AM »

Completely. Normal Serbian families have had their land stolen and been driven out of the areas they and their families have spent their entire lives. We are not talking about Serbian politicians or military officers here. Normal people.

I really wish all this stuff would stay out of sport.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 23, 2018, 10:23:02 AM »
Who would you like to "stick it to" the Croats?
Turkey didn't qualify
Those biscuits are for the visitors

bennydorano

• View Profile

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 23, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »

Completely. Normal Serbian families have had their land stolen and been driven out of the areas they and their families have spent their entire lives. We are not talking about Serbian politicians or military officers here. Normal people.

I really wish all this stuff would stay out of sport.

If the two of ye canít see the difference between someone who was born in Kosovo sticking it to Sebia after scoring a goal to beat them at the WC and a lad in the crowd in the north trying to tie their Ďstruggleí to the Palestiniansí by waving a flag, I donít really have any desire to discuss it further because itís going to be a complete waste of time.