Author Topic: Digital Re-tune  (Read 1664 times)

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
Re: Digital Re-tune
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 09:14:15 PM »
The Now 90ís channel seemed to close a couple weeks ago. Donít think it was due to the retune though. Now that I looked Now 80ís has gone too.

And Keep it Country gone too... jaysus this is all too much for me!!  ;D

Think Keep it country closed a while back.

general

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 08:56:51 AM »
Suggestion for all - get your self an amazon fire stick, get IPTV. Will give you channels from across the world. full sky, ireland, uk, spanish, usa, etc etc

DM me if you want details

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2019, 10:58:46 AM »
Iptv requires good broadband, apart from being crooked.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2019, 11:28:58 AM »
10-15mb/s yes.

each to their own  :o

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 06:12:00 PM »
Faffing about with dodgy IPTV streams on Fire Sticks, Android boxes etc. is OK for the internet savvy and those whom like to t**ker & don't mind having to put up with random service interruptions. But for the layman and laywoman, they can't be arsed about it when something will almost certainly see the screens go blank after a few months. That's why the likes of Sky, Virgin and other commercial providers (including those whom use internet streaming to serve customers like Amazon Prime, Netflix & NowTV) are popular because they make usability of their service an important point, and you don't have to worry about watching an English Premier League game being watched though a bunch of transparent lego bricks due to so many people watching the stream that it chokes the server's outbound bandwidth.

As to the point of the thread, there was an All-Ireland frequency changing process done so that more UHF TV bandwidth can be freed up for mobile data & telephone use in the near future. This meant a reduction in the amount of available frequencies to fit everything into. Not a huge problem in parts of Ireland where you can only get Saorview with a terrestrial aerial, but elsewhere this was going to and it has caused problems. Many in NE Leinster whom used to be able to get the five main UK TV channels (and some/all of their sister stations) have now lost them due to technical reasons. Many others, especially in Northern Ireland/NI/The North/Six Counties/"Ulster" may find that they're no longer receiving all the services that they had prior to this time last week. Without getting too technical, the changes have meant that aerial set ups that had one aerial for UK channels and another for the Irish/26 County/Eire channels are now "broken" by the frequency changes. In some cases it might just need a new "diplexer" which is a box usually found on the aerial mast that combines the wanted signals from the two aerials into one coax cable, as long as everything else is in decent enough condition. A new aerial or aerials might be required in a few areas. In some locations, reception from transmitters across the border might now prove difficult or impossible to reliably receive - as a result the NI Mux that carries RTE1, RTE2 & TG4 is now also broadcast from a few new relay sites which includes Armagh, Newcastle, Whitehead & Strabane.

At present, all Saorview transmitters whom are affected by channel changes are running a "dual transmission" period with the new frequencies up and running while the old ones are still being broadcast (though it might be with reduced power) until 4th March 2020 when they'll be switched off.

Unlike back in 2012, it's going to be more complicated for me to talk about solutions or recommendations as to how people in certain locations are affected as in many of them an actual visible inspection would be required to fully confirm what needs to be done, so sorry. However I would recommend that for the channels from Saorview transmitters, check to see if the channels have a full stop at the end of the channel name e.g. "RTE One." instead of "RTE One". If the full stop is there, you're still watching the channel on the "old" frequencies that'll be switched off in March so you should try a manual tune to pick up the "new" frequencies. In the majority of d'north (exceptions inc. Derry city, Strabane, Limavady, Coleraine & surrounding areas, and parts of South Fermanagh) trying doing a manual tune for frequency channels 42 & 45 (on some receivers it might be 642 MHz & 666 MHz) and see if you get a signal. If so, then you're now tuned to the "new" frequencies where the channels will not have a full stop after their name. If you get no signal but you still have reception of the likes of RTE Junior and the Virgin Media channels, then you'll likely lose them come March - get someone out whom knows what they're doing to check your current aerial setup.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:29:29 PM by Fionntamhnach »
Putting internet gobsh*tes in their place since 1999.

giveherlong

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »
as a result the NI Mux that carries RTE1, RTE2 & TG4 is now also broadcast from a few new relay sites which includes Armagh, Newcastle, Whitehead & Strabane.

Is  the NI Mux being broadcast from Strabane already? When would that have been switched on? Would smaller outlying relay sites feeding off Strabane also have it?

Jeepers Creepers

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 03:12:32 PM »
Cbeebies HD gone as well ffs...

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 03:16:56 PM »

FFS!!!

I thought maybe it was just my reception but obviously not. Iím missing BBC News HD, BBC 4 HD and that one. I assume they wonít be returning?

Snapchap

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2019, 03:23:12 PM »
So if we don't re-tune, do we keep the channels that some of you have lost since re-tuning?

sensethetone

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2019, 03:25:10 PM »
moved from 121 to 202..

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 03:51:59 PM »
So if we don't re-tune, do we keep the channels that some of you have lost since re-tuning?

I tried that but the screens was sticking and that on certain channels for me.

Jeepers Creepers

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 04:14:24 PM »

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 06:18:36 PM »
Is  the NI Mux being broadcast from Strabane already? When would that have been switched on? Would smaller outlying relay sites feeding off Strabane also have it?
It should have started broadcasting from Strabane since this day last week. Its frequency is channel 40, or 626 MHz - you'll need a receiver that can pick up the main HD channels like BBC1 NI, UTV etc. that appear on 101-105. Anything with a Freeview HD label should be perfect. After a retune, TG4 is on 51, RT…1 is on 52 and RT…2 is on 53 on. I haven't tried yet to pick it up down here in Fintona yet, but it should be possible along with everything else broadcast from the Strabane mast.

Unfortunately, smaller relay stations that take a feed from Strabane won't carry the NI Mux. The big mast on Koram Hill itself takes a feed from Brougher Mountain, which in turn then feeds the following relay stations - Castlederg, Glenelly Valley & Plumbridge in Co. Tyrone, Claudy & Muldonagh in Co. Derry, and Gortnalee in Co. Fermanagh.
For the record, relaying from a relay station isn't an uncommon practice. There's a relay station in the Glens of Antrim at Glenariff which is fed by a signal from Cushendall, with Cushendall fed by a signal from Cushendun, Cushendun is fed from Larne, and Larne is a first-level relay from Divis Mountain! Some of the old-school set ups done over in Britain for example in the analogue TV days were extensive and/or impressive, particularly to the Channel Islands and also to the Shetland Isles, not to mention the lengths some people across the border did to privately relay (albeit unauthorised, but largely tolerated) transmissions from the North and from Wales so it could get to be seen in places that would otherwise have no hope receiving UK television. They were quite popular in counties Donegal, Mayo, Cork & Waterford - all shut down now.
Putting internet gobsh*tes in their place since 1999.

giveherlong

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 06:54:43 PM »
Thanks for the response
Might try and move the aerial then to pick up directly from Strabane and try a retune then

Jeepers Creepers

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 09:15:14 PM »