Clubs formed from splits in other clubs

Started by Orior, October 03, 2017, 09:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LooseCannon

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 10, 2017, 11:41:00 AM
Garrycastle came out of Athlone

Garrycastle had actually formed prior to the Athlone split. They weren't making much inroads though, and may well have fallen apart. The Athlone incident led to an injection of influential men in to Garrycastle, such as Des Dolan.
I remember half time a the county final, about 2008 I reckon, and Athlone were the 25 year team getting commemorated. There were only about 6 former players on the field.

PW Nally

Quote from: shark on October 10, 2017, 07:53:41 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 10, 2017, 11:41:00 AM
Garrycastle came out of Athlone

Garrycastle had actually formed prior to the Athlone split. They weren't making much inroads though, and may well have fallen apart. The Athlone incident led to an injection of influential men in to Garrycastle, such as Des Dolan.
I remember half time a the county final, about 2008 I reckon, and Athlone were the 25 year team getting commemorated. There were only about 6 former players on the field.
What was the Athlone incident you refer of?

Tyrdub

Was St Johns (Belfast) not formed when they split from Rossa?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tyrdub on October 11, 2017, 01:28:55 PM
Was St Johns (Belfast) not formed when they split from Rossa?

Oh!!!! but who owns the song?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Dripsey in Cork, is a very new club having only formed in 2004. It was as a result of a split in the Inniscarra club. Dripsey went on to win the County and Munster Junior hurling in 2008. There is a serious battle for "hearts and minds" around there now as they are in the same parish and neighbours, cousins, friends often end up playing on opposing sides.

Down in South Kerry, the famous Dromid Pearses (Jack O'Connor, Declan O'Sullivan) would be in the same parish as Waterville and despite forming in the 40s, they disbanded for a long time again, with players from the area lining out with Waterville. They setup again themselves in the 70s I think and in the last 25 years or so, Dromid have solidified and despite operating off "the slopes of a few mountains" as a club member said to me, they have a good pitch and field decent teams, despite the low numbers all over South Kerry.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on October 11, 2017, 03:36:19 PM
Dripsey in Cork, is a very new club having only formed in 2004. It was as a result of a split in the Inniscarra club. Dripsey went on to win the County and Munster Junior hurling in 2008. There is a serious battle for "hearts and minds" around there now as they are in the same parish and neighbours, cousins, friends often end up playing on opposing sides.

Down in South Kerry, the famous Dromid Pearses (Jack O'Connor, Declan O'Sullivan) would be in the same parish as Waterville and despite forming in the 40s, they disbanded for a long time again, with players from the area lining out with Waterville. They setup again themselves in the 70s I think and in the last 25 years or so, Dromid have solidified and despite operating off "the slopes of a few mountains" as a club member said to me, they have a good pitch and field decent teams, despite the low numbers all over South Kerry.

Dromid would be with Waterville in all underage competitions, but they are holding their own at adult level alright. They field 2 teams I think at Adult level. They are back in the premier Junior Final too, and looking to get back into Munster.

Tyrdub