Author Topic: Derry Club Football & Hurling  (Read 834402 times)

Glenman93

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club Football & Hurling
« Reply #2925 on: July 30, 2019, 08:09:05 AM »
Get Rory and Ricey quick. Rory can run Centra in Dungiven and Ricey can advise the local farming community on Brexit. 

shawshank

• View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: July 30, 2019, 09:13:15 AM »
I think it is sad to see that 4 games have been conceded in Division 2 in the last 2 weeks. Has the break meant that players in these teams have lost interest or why have they had to concede?

Was speaking to a Tyrone man from a Senior club with County players a couple of weeks back who was giving off about the lack of league games they had played ( 7 ). I told him my club had only played 4 and there was a 12 week break playing recreational leagues and divisional cups. He thought I was pulling his chain and said there would be uproar in Tyrone if that happened. They play starred games without County men and CCC try to fix the games so a club with county men missing will play league games against similar clubs.

That is right regarding Tyrone. We are in the middle of a break but have 7/8 games played so far and one game due again next week I think. Starred system works well majority of the time. Hard to believe Derry clubs only played 4 games until end of April and then a 12 week break. Sure that is basically 2 separate seasons. Tyrone clubs wouldnít let that happen, no chance. Can Derry not play H & A to give 22 league games (play with it or without county men) or what will youse do in 2020. Hardly fair on the ordinary club player or management trying to keep everyone interested and motivated for 3 months - almost impossible
e
The problem in Derry is that our clubs have refused to play league football without senior county players. Wouldn't it have been better to have had a 16 team league, with four or five of those games starred, those games could have been played over the May and June period instead of the crap that was offered. Whilst the underlying problem is being driven by Croke parks promotion of county football and an a lack of an over all master plan for fixtures. Clubs in Derry have taken no responsibility to help themselves, except of course to cry wolf

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: July 30, 2019, 09:26:52 AM »
I havenít been involved Derry club football from a spectators view in about 8 years, but I keep a close eye on things.  But it seems to me over the last two years, the Craic and the fizz has gone out of the club set-up back home.

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: July 30, 2019, 09:35:54 AM »
I havenít been involved Derry club football from a spectators view in about 8 years, but I keep a close eye on things.  But it seems to me over the last two years, the Craic and the fizz has gone out of the club set-up back home.
I'm not sure about that. The long break in the middle of the season does mean it dies down just as the thing gets going. There has been some great games in the league this year but it's been months since most of them were played. I think the large break is also a factor in the 4 Division 2 clubs that conceded games recently.

Ball

• View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: July 30, 2019, 09:58:07 AM »

I do think it's been quieter than usual since after the break maybe it's just me? Usually big talking points on here and even the CDP just seems to be doing reports without too much build up or reaction.

Keyser soze

• View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: July 30, 2019, 10:22:20 AM »
Board has been very quiet since the leagues have started back.

Any teams really standing out as contenders for the championship?

Whats going on at dungiven and glenullin? Both looking likely of relegation.

Is next year back to meaning if you are in intermediate league you are in that chamionship also?

Pretty sure it's the 10 surviving Div 1A teams + 2 relegated teams + 2 promoted teams in senior championship 2020

Itís the 10 surviving teams + 2 relegated and the top 4 teams in Div 1B

The senior league is heating up, we have lost our early form, Loup v competitive yesterday, but we are still playing well. But their is nothing between the middle 6/7 teams. Ballinderry have put together two big results and performances going by the score board. Bellaghy going by Mals report destroyed Magherafelt, unexpected. Topsy turvy performances everywhere. Banagher and Dungiven in big diffs now, with Glen possibly being the real threats to the Snail in the championship 🤔. Coleraine keeping their powder dry for the championship?

If that's correct what a complete clusterfuck.  How are teams playing intermediate opposition all year supposed to compete with teams playing senior all year. it just shows that the county board do not give 1 flying f**k about clubs, other than when they need 16 of them to line their pockets at championship time.  Other than that it's all right to fob them off with 2nd rate competitions and telescope their league into as few weeks as possible.

Ball

• View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: July 30, 2019, 11:14:33 AM »
Board has been very quiet since the leagues have started back.

Any teams really standing out as contenders for the championship?

Whats going on at dungiven and glenullin? Both looking likely of relegation.

Is next year back to meaning if you are in intermediate league you are in that chamionship also?

Pretty sure it's the 10 surviving Div 1A teams + 2 relegated teams + 2 promoted teams in senior championship 2020

The senior league is heating up, we have lost our early form, Loup v competitive yesterday, but we are still playing well. But their is nothing between the middle 6/7 teams. Ballinderry have put together two big results and performances going by the score board. Bellaghy going by Mals report destroyed Magherafelt, unexpected. Topsy turvy performances everywhere. Banagher and Dungiven in big diffs now, with Glen possibly being the real threats to the Snail in the championship 🤔. Coleraine keeping their powder dry for the championship?

If that's correct what a complete clusterfuck.  How are teams playing intermediate opposition all year supposed to compete with teams playing senior all year. it just shows that the county board do not give 1 flying f**k about clubs, other than when they need 16 of them to line their pockets at championship time.  Other than that it's all right to fob them off with 2nd rate competitions and telescope their league into as few weeks as possible.

Yeah i thought that was the whole point of the league restructure this year was for it to be even out again next year meaning you play in intermediate league your in intermediate championship also.

More less top 16 teams play senior champ.

The Trap

• View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: July 30, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »
Just had a look at Derry website for senior league games. The 2 clusters of 11 league games are played over 59 days, 4 games between 7th April and 28th April and 7 games between 17th July and 25th August. Lads train most of the year for that!

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: July 30, 2019, 02:52:02 PM »
Just had a look at Derry website for senior league games. The 2 clusters of 11 league games are played over 59 days, 4 games between 7th April and 28th April and 7 games between 17th July and 25th August. Lads train most of the year for that!

Most clubs training from end of January / start of February until September for the games to be spread like that.

It's not hard to see why a lot of younger fellas are picking other sports/ teams are struggling to field reserve teams & more and more games are being conceded.

the half-time show

• View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: July 30, 2019, 03:05:21 PM »

It's actually the Top 3 Div1B teams along with the Intermediate winner.  If the winner also finishes Top 3 then 4th place will play senior as well.

Yeah i thought that was the whole point of the league restructure this year was for it to be even out again next year meaning you play in intermediate league your in intermediate championship also.

More less top 16 teams play senior champ.
The leagues restructured because clubs refused to play games without their county players which made it difficult / impossible to run off all required league games.  Therefore, they reduced the number of teams in each league so that we can make sure all games are played before championship begins and we're not left with the scenario of games with relegation / promotion implications being played in November.  (To counteract the reduction in games they introduced the League Cup, played during the county break). 
Note: I disagree with the current proposal but just wanted to clarify for others that may not know the thinking behind it.

Obviously a 12 team championship wouldn't work as some teams would need to be given bye's for the draw to work out so it's been kept as a 16 team competition, with the best solution being to take the top 12 teams from Division 1A and the next 4 top teams from Division 1B.  If teams playing intermediate opposition all year want to compete with teams playing senior all year then that's an added incentive to gain promotion from Division 1B, and without being facetious, the reason they are playing intermediate teams all year is because they weren't good enough to compete with senior teams (i.e. they were relegated from the senior league).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:14:51 PM by the half-time show »

Mikhailov

• View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: July 30, 2019, 03:42:07 PM »

Lads, thatís unbelievable to say the least. You start off with 4 games in 21 days and finish with 7 games in 38 days with a total break of 80 days without any league games in the middle. You can thank f**k Derry county team donít do well at senior level or you wouldnít get any football at all for club players. Why did clubs accept this? Surely home & away is better option and you play with county men if available - if not available then play away. After 22 league games, if you get relegated then you canít really have any issues as you had plenty of chances. Surely the club player and indeed managers must find this very hard to sustain over a season with so little football to be played.

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: July 30, 2019, 04:44:37 PM »

Lads, thatís unbelievable to say the least. You start off with 4 games in 21 days and finish with 7 games in 38 days with a total break of 80 days without any league games in the middle. You can thank f**k Derry county team donít do well at senior level or you wouldnít get any football at all for club players. Why did clubs accept this? Surely home & away is better option and you play with county men if available - if not available then play away. After 22 league games, if you get relegated then you canít really have any issues as you had plenty of chances. Surely the club player and indeed managers must find this very hard to sustain over a season with so little football to be played.

Its a ridiculous setup alright. It gives very little incentive to players to train all year. A minor injury could mean you miss a lot of games too which is unfair on the players.
Personally, I think the Tyrone structure is much better. It means more games for players, which means more chance for players to improve. You are also less likely to lose players to America/Australia if they are playing loads of football.
It is also bound to have a detrimental effect on the overall quality of senior players. I was always told, you improve as a footballer by playing football. IMO, this structure we have is going to adversely affect the quality is going forward at club and county level.

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: July 30, 2019, 05:36:30 PM »
Well itís up to the players and clubs to say:

ďf**k youĒ to the county board and county management team, we want matches.

It would garner more support if the players liaised with other counties in doing so. Iíve no trust in the GPA. The fact that our county team are in a poor way, doesnít help either.

The overall fixtures set up country-wide is a mess. Maybe things have to change at the bottom (voices of player) before they change at the top (fixtures co-ordinators)

Mario

• View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: July 30, 2019, 06:10:35 PM »
People are talking like there were no games during the league break. From what I can see Dungiven seemed to play nearly week during this period. Sure it's not as high a level as senior league but it's still football every week.

I preferred the 16 team league too but was that not removed because some clubs didn't want to play games without co. men

Josey Wales

• View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: July 31, 2019, 09:51:37 AM »
People are talking like there were no games during the league break. From what I can see Dungiven seemed to play nearly week during this period. Sure it's not as high a level as senior league but it's still football every week.

I preferred the 16 team league too but was that not removed because some clubs didn't want to play games without co. men

Them games were a joke.  Was a torture for the few even watching them, doubt it was much better for ones playing in them.

Until there is an agreed country wide schedule/plan, nothing will work.  Ironically though, the man who set up this farce in Derry, is now part of this country wide planning committee.