Author Topic: Derry Club Football & Hurling  (Read 211302 times)

City Slicker

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club Football & Hurling
« Reply #1245 on: April 17, 2018, 09:16:40 PM »
Aidan McLaughlin as part of a backroom team is hardly an issue. Did anyone have an issue with Gavin McGeehan being involved with last years team? (someone who had a similar coaching role with either Ulster or Derry GAA as far as I know).

Anyone who has seen any of Campbell's teams play before could not be surprised there was no score in their last game until 27 minutes in. It's an absolute joke that he was appointed by our county board to develop our underage players.

I see no problem with someone like Aidy being involved in a fairly minor role in the set up, maybe gathering a bit of experience as he goes. I would though question letting a man who played ultra defensive/negative football at his last 4 jobs (Steelstown, Castledawson, Glentes and Slaughtmanus) with little or no success manage our best underage players.

Cant understand why Campbell was appointed either ....

The other fellas are good coaches with Fabian and Ronan also having had Club management experience.   Aidy McLaughlin (he is from Craigbane isn't he ?) was a very good player and was on  the County Senior panel around about 2010, was unfortunate with injuries and was working away from home a lot.  Good honest committed Clubman and still youngish

The question isnít why was he appointed? Itís who was he appointed ahead of? Was there a queue of high quality applicants? There should be a good team there but Monaghan look to have an outstanding team given they stuffed both tyrone and donegal on the way to the ulster minor league.

Did a bit of asking, he works with the Goalkeepers, so I assume he isnt involved with the tactical side of things.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: April 17, 2018, 11:05:04 PM »
Aidan McLaughlin as part of a backroom team is hardly an issue. Did anyone have an issue with Gavin McGeehan being involved with last years team? (someone who had a similar coaching role with either Ulster or Derry GAA as far as I know).

Anyone who has seen any of Campbell's teams play before could not be surprised there was no score in their last game until 27 minutes in. It's an absolute joke that he was appointed by our county board to develop our underage players.

I see no problem with someone like Aidy being involved in a fairly minor role in the set up, maybe gathering a bit of experience as he goes. I would though question letting a man who played ultra defensive/negative football at his last 4 jobs (Steelstown, Castledawson, Glentes and Slaughtmanus) with little or no success manage our best underage players.

The other fellas are good coaches with Fabian and Ronan also having had Club management experience.   Aidy McLaughlin (he is from Craigbane isn't he ?) was a very good player and was on  the County Senior panel around about 2010, was unfortunate with injuries and was working away from home a lot.  Good honest committed Clubman and still youngish

The question isnít why was he appointed? Itís who was he appointed ahead of? Was there a queue of high quality applicants? There should be a good team there but Monaghan look to have an outstanding team given they stuffed both tyrone and donegal on the way to the ulster minor league.

Did a bit of asking, he works with the Goalkeepers, so I assume he isnt involved with the tactical side of things.
Ah now I see where the senior team gets it from - goalkeepers don't do tactics. Explains a lot!!

Keyser soze

• View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: April 18, 2018, 10:01:58 AM »
What about this week's fixtures/predictions Toby.

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: April 18, 2018, 10:22:17 AM »

Aidan McLaughlin (not Aidy) is Claudy's goalkeeper and has been for the last 10 years or so. Think he was on the Derry minor panel that was beat in the AI final if memory serves me rightly though he didn't start. He's not a bad keeper himself and by all accounts is a decent coach. Wouldn't be too harsh on him working with the minor keepers.
As stated previously I'd have a much bigger issue with Campbell being appointed manager, ultra defensive and discouraged kicking the ball at the previous clubs he worked with. Not sure if he actually had any success with those clubs?

Early days yet in the leagues but Coleraine, Glen and Lavey going unbeaten so far will have to be happy. Great starts too from Newbridge and Glenullin. Claudy and Kilrea will already be starting to worry on 0 points given it's the bottom 4 going down. 6 clubs on 2 points after 3 games - this is the interesting area for me over the next few weeks.

Banagher look like they should walk Div2 and will give 5th from bottom in Div1 their fill of it in a playoff.

Limavady look really strong in Div3 with maybe only Moneymore fit to give them a game.

Rawhide

• View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: April 18, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »
They will be fun when we are getting to the end of the league season this year. I predict a number of field fights before its all over, unfortunately
cccc is a true supporter lol

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: April 19, 2018, 11:55:02 AM »
Good man Sean Leo.

thepundit

• View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: April 19, 2018, 12:17:39 PM »
St Oliver Plunkettís GAC, Greenlough V Ballinderry  BALLINDERRY
John Mitchelís GAC, Claudy  V Bellaghy  CLAUDY
The Loup  V Glenullin  THE LOUP
Kilrea  V Lavey  LAVEY
Slaughtneil  V Coleraine  COLERAINE
Swatragh  V OíDonovan Rossa GAC  ROSSA
Dungiven V Sean OíLeary GAC Newbridge   NEWBRIDGE
Ballinascreen  V Glen   GLEN

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 19, 2018, 01:14:43 PM »
Good man Sean Leo.

Good addition, pity he couldn't drag a couple more club mates with him

tonesfirstandlast

• View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: April 19, 2018, 02:17:49 PM »
They will be fun when we are getting to the end of the league season this year. I predict a number of field fights before its all over, unfortunately

Typical Swatragh. Always looking fighting.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 19, 2018, 08:36:18 PM »
Good man Sean Leo.
Agree. Great news, class player.