Author Topic: Derry Club Football & Hurling  (Read 1123068 times)

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
Re: Derry Club Football & Hurling
« Reply #4245 on: October 05, 2020, 06:13:30 PM »
Congratulations to slaughtneil. We’re gutted but on the day they were the better team. We just couldn’t break down their defensive system. Have to say though they have become horrible to watch, probably the influence of Devlin from ardboe.

Hahah your some craic.

I thought when Magherafelt did run at Slaughtneil, it caused them problems. The fact that Magherafelt didn’t have possession for long meant that you didn’t see these attacks as much.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: October 05, 2020, 10:46:45 PM »
Congratulations to slaughtneil. We’re gutted but on the day they were the better team. We just couldn’t break down their defensive system. Have to say though they have become horrible to watch, probably the influence of Devlin from ardboe.

Hahah your some craic.

I thought when Magherafelt did run at Slaughtneil, it caused them problems. The fact that Magherafelt didn’t have possession for long meant that you didn’t see these attacks as much.
This is actually true - but the imagination and creativity had been sucked out of them - do not think for yourself, stick to the plan, but we are behind, stick to the boring plan, but we are still behind, f**k the plan, let's push up, we've scored a goal, back to the plan, f**k the plan, we are still behind; I know - but stick to the plan, but we are still getting f**king bate, push up to f**k and get a goal chance, got one, keeper makes a save, ball at other end, goal on, fist it over the bar, game over.   

Well done lads, says Cush - you stuck to the plan, scored five times, Slaughtneil scored 11 times, but at least you stuck to the plan, fair play to yous, yous did what you were told and we won last year so that makes it all ok.  Will we make a plan for next year? 

Mmmm.....  No, thanks.  Magherafelt have some excellent footballers who deserve better.  There are better plans.

Estimator

• St. Colm's Ballinascreen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: October 06, 2020, 09:21:24 AM »
Last two teams:

Magherafelt
13 scorers in total
1 player scored 30pts or more:
Shane Heavron 1-27 (1-0p, 0-19f)
1 player scored 10pts or more:
Danny Heavron 0-12 (0-6f)
1 players scored in every game
Shane Heavron
7 goals scored in total
5/13 scorers only scored once
Average Points per game – 12

Slaughtneil
17 scorers in total
1 player scored 50pts or more:
Shane McGuigan  4-47 (1-0p, 0-12f, 0-4m, 0-1’45)
1 player scored 20pts or more:
Chrissy Bradley 2-19 (0-8f)
1 player scored 10pts or more:
Brian Cassidy 1-14 (0-3f)
1 player scored in every game
Shane McGuigan
13 goals scored in total
6/17 scorers only scored once
Average Points per game – 21

Stats don't back up Lenny's claims of Slaughtneil having a horrible defensive system.
I have McGuigan scoring more himself, than M'felts Top 4 scorers.
He totalled 4-47 (3-30 from play)
S Heavron 1-27, D Heavron 0-12, Emmett McGuckin 1-05, Conor Kearns 0-07 = 2-51 (1-26 from play)

Slaughtneil's top 2 scorers (84pts) scored the same amount as the entire Magherafelt team (84pts) in the C'Ship
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 01:54:56 PM by Estimator »
Ulster League Champions 2009

Bronco

• View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: October 06, 2020, 09:28:00 AM »
If the stats don't back it up then the stats aren't the appropriate stats to look at. Anyone who watched Magherafelt knows they're incredibly conservative in their approach.

shawshank

• View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: October 06, 2020, 10:23:25 AM »
'winning is everything' is the usual defence, and in general I won't disagree. However, when you have footballers on a team like Magherafelt I am inclined to say there has to be a better way for them. Look at their two wing backs, Heavron an attacking mf, at least two scoring forwards that you can depend on. they need to evolve their attacking play or they will under achieve. For a player like Murphy to be on the bench sums it up for me.

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: October 06, 2020, 10:45:49 AM »
Yeah, I felt the two teams who were set up most defensively lost the two finals at the weekend. Magherafelt's tactics already been spoken about at length but I thought Ben McCarron seeming to play most of the game around the half back line was a bit of a strange one in the Intermediate final too.

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: October 07, 2020, 05:05:44 PM »
A few In's and Out's in the County panel, which has been trimmed down.

Thomas Mallon has taken over as goalkeeping coach. Connlan Bradley drafted into the squad in his place.

Niall Keenan, Ryan Bell, Conor McAtamney and Liam McGoldrick among those gone from the panel.

Paul McNeill, Paul Cassidy, Ethan Doherty and Conor Glass all drafted in.

Derry Optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: October 07, 2020, 07:38:47 PM »
I believe that there are 28 players in the Derry Senior football panel.Four players who started against Tyrone in last year's Ulster championship game have been omitted for this year's panel ie Niall Keenan,Ryan Bell,Liam McGoldrick and Conor McAtamney (Incidentally Paul McNeill was also a starter in that side but was missing for the league owing to an injury).It would appear that Rory Gallagher is placing a lot of emphasis on the younger talent within the county.Hence the inclusion of Paul Cassidy and Ethan Doherty.

The most surprising omission from that missing quartet is Niall Keenan who has been one of Derry's most consistent players for the last four years.Likewise the inclusion of the inexperienced Connlan Bradley as goalkeeping cover for Odhran Lynch is also a surprise.

Perhaps some poster could give us the names of the full panel as I feel there must be other omissions from last year's panel which was certainly much larger

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: October 08, 2020, 08:12:22 AM »
I believe that there are 28 players in the Derry Senior football panel.Four players who started against Tyrone in last year's Ulster championship game have been omitted for this year's panel ie Niall Keenan,Ryan Bell,Liam McGoldrick and Conor McAtamney (Incidentally Paul McNeill was also a starter in that side but was missing for the league owing to an injury).It would appear that Rory Gallagher is placing a lot of emphasis on the younger talent within the county.Hence the inclusion of Paul Cassidy and Ethan Doherty.

The most surprising omission from that missing quartet is Niall Keenan who has been one of Derry's most consistent players for the last four years.Likewise the inclusion of the inexperienced Connlan Bradley as goalkeeping cover for Odhran Lynch is also a surprise.

Perhaps some poster could give us the names of the full panel as I feel there must be other omissions from last year's panel which was certainly much larger

I think Niall Kennan is away to England to study, also obvious reasons for McGoldrick to be omitted.
Paul Cassidy had a very poor season for Bellaghy IMO, I was really looking forward to seeing him this year however he doesn't seem to have taken to Senior football as well as I thought he would, albeit he's had his injury problems. I'd imagine he will be one for the future with little game time this season.
Paul McNeill is a very welcome addition, quality defender.
Connlan Bradley in nets is a strange one. This time last year he had never done nets in his life before. He has ended up doing OK but there are a lot of keepers ahead of him in the county.

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: October 08, 2020, 08:25:43 PM »
'winning is everything' is the usual defence, and in general I won't disagree. However, when you have footballers on a team like Magherafelt I am inclined to say there has to be a better way for them. Look at their two wing backs, Heavron an attacking mf, at least two scoring forwards that you can depend on. they need to evolve their attacking play or they will under achieve. For a player like Murphy to be on the bench sums it up for me.

Cormac has an injury, otherwise he’d be starting. When I said slaughtneil were defensive and horrible to watch I was comparing them to how they used to play a few years ago. In the 2 games they were tested they only scored 11 points v us and 12 or 13 v glen. Rossa have a gameplan which is effective although not that exciting to watch. I think now that we’re consistently winning championship matches that the plan will evolve and we’ll start to attack a lot more.

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: October 08, 2020, 11:35:58 PM »

Cormac has an injury, otherwise he’d be starting. When I said slaughtneil were defensive and horrible to watch I was comparing them to how they used to play a few years ago. In the 2 games they were tested they only scored 11 points v us and 12 or 13 v glen. Rossa have a gameplan which is effective although not that exciting to watch. I think now that we’re consistently winning championship matches that the plan will evolve and we’ll start to attack a lot more.
I doubt that.  This year was the chance to evolve and throw the shackles off, having won the championship.  Management clearly not interested.  Sleacht Néill scored 11 times in the final, Machaire Fíolta scored 5 times - that is the true comparison.  As the Bomber Liston once famously said - try playing chess.   

theticklemister

• '...... said yer man from the Daily Mail.'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: October 09, 2020, 07:29:24 AM »

I think Niall Kennan is away to England to study, also obvious reasons for McGoldrick to be omitted.
Paul Cassidy had a very poor season for Bellaghy IMO, I was really looking forward to seeing him this year however he doesn't seem to have taken to Senior football as well as I thought he would, albeit he's had his injury problems. I'd imagine he will be one for the future with little game time this season.
Connlan Bradley in nets is a strange one. This time last year he had never done nets in his life before. He has ended up doing OK but there are a lot of keepers ahead of him in the county.

Where in England is he

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: October 09, 2020, 08:12:36 AM »

Where in England is he

Not 100% sure, but I remember reading a while back (maybe in the Derry post) that he was going to do a 2 year course in England to become a chiropractor.

Link

• View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: October 09, 2020, 10:41:39 AM »

Quit trying to justify that absolute travesty of a performance at the weekend. Rossa didn't try to play football, slaughtneil adapted and won easy.

Slaughtneil had 4 defenders who scored, Rossa had defenders who wouldn't shoot/kick or even take a mark when 35 yards from goal.

Estimator

• St. Colm's Ballinascreen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: October 10, 2020, 06:41:54 PM »
I have Slaughtneil, Loup, Glen and Ballinascreen all scoring more in the C'ship than the Rossa. Ballinderry are level with M'felt in the scoring charts.  However only Slaughtneil played the same amount of games as M'felt, the rest had fewer games:

Loup & Ballinderry (1)
Ballinascreen & Glen (2)

Newbridge had 3 fewer than M'felt and are only 10pts away from their overall total.
Ulster League Champions 2009