Portadown to become a GAA Mecca!

Started by T Fearon, August 02, 2017, 04:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Rumours that Jamie Clarke is opening up a coffee shop in Portadown town centre.

bennydorano

Jesus Portadown wouldn't be a natural fit for a high profile GAA man. Sectarian Shit hole. The Alabama of the North as Gerry used to say.

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on August 02, 2017, 04:56:15 PM
Well it seems to me with the development of the Crossmaglen ground and Athletic Grounds in South and mid Armagh respectively,the Northern part of the county has been neglected for the last three decades.The run down facilities at Davitt Park in Lurgan,at which I watched many a great county game,including six goals put past Kerry in a NFL game,epitomises the neglect.This new centre in Portadown is a real shot in the arm for the North of the County and will hopefully revive the fortunes of many erstwhile great clubs in the area.

When was he last time you were at Davitt Park?

T Fearon

Has been a while.But it was coming down with tumbleweed

twohands!!!

Portadown, Mecca and GAA don't naturally belong in the same sentence.

However apart from that it looks like a well-planned project.

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on August 02, 2017, 07:43:03 PM
Jesus Portadown wouldn't be a natural fit for a high profile GAA man. Sectarian Shit hole. The Alabama of the North as Gerry used to say.
It's a Portuguese themed cafe!

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on August 02, 2017, 09:47:01 PM
Has been a while.But it was coming down with tumbleweed

I don't like to praise them but they have done some good work and continue to do so. The place looks a lot better

T Fearon

I'm guessing neither Davitt Park or anywhere else in N Armagh has had the same level of infrastructural support from the County Board than the likes of Crossmaglen in S Armagh or the Athletic Grounds/Callanbridge in mid Armagh. This project is long overdue,but nonetheless welcome

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on August 03, 2017, 12:08:13 AM
I'm guessing neither Davitt Park or anywhere else in N Armagh has had the same level of infrastructural support from the County Board than the likes of Crossmaglen in S Armagh or the Athletic Grounds/Callanbridge in mid Armagh. This project is long overdue,but nonetheless welcome

I'm open to correction but I think a lot, if not all, the work done and being done at Davitt Park has been self funded

nrico2006

Will St Malachys still be the owners?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Walter Cronc

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on August 02, 2017, 07:43:03 PM
I think it is one of the worst towns I ever visited. You can feel the tension that drove the entropy. It is such a miserable place.
Crossmaglen feels totally different.

T Fearon

What relevance has Portadown Town Centre got to this development which will be on the outskirts of the town boundary and the best part of two miles from the town centre?

Portadown Town Centre which has more than a few long established catholic businsses which have existed for generations, is like a lot of other town centres,struggling, particularly with the nearby large retail park, Rushmere. The development of the People's Park at a cost of £5m has brought a lot of people back into that part of the  town (for decades considered to be off limits for Protestant/Unionists), Ballina folk come up and are heartily welcomed to the Annual Country Comes to Town Festival, and life in the town is immeasurably better than in the old days,when I had to take to my heels on a few occasions to avoid a hiding.This is another positive development.

seafoid

Will footballers be able to make their way from the town centre to the facilities by means of their traditional route?

BennyCake

Sure the South Armagh boys can get the train up from Newry for training.