galway v kerry all ireland quarter final

Started by cornetto, July 23, 2017, 11:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

34 scoring chances for Galway. Took 13.

Won't beat many good teams with numbers like that.

theskull1

Whats the attitude in Kerry to all there county players not being involved with their clubs? Are solid clubmen not a bit narked?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Zulu

Quote from: blanketattack on July 30, 2017, 04:14:11 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 30, 2017, 03:38:10 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 30, 2017, 03:32:38 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 30, 2017, 03:23:05 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 30, 2017, 03:20:03 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 30, 2017, 02:45:46 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 30, 2017, 02:35:46 PM
If that's not a black card I don't know what is. Unbelievable

Wouldn't have given a black either, he went to meet him and in a split second Heaney had the ball transferred, Kerry man could do little by then. We don't want all physicality removed altogether.

That's the problem with the black in that a cast iron one like that is still debated. Ball was gone and there was deliberate contact.

What a shame Galway are so wasteful as Kerry are there for the taking today.

It's not a black, it's a yellow.

Zulu

Rule says "Deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of a movement of play."

Ball was played away, contact was deliberate.

He went t meet a guy in possession and had no opportunity to get out of his way so it's a yellow. If that's a black then every defender who collides with a player who passes over his head should be off even if it's impossible for them not to collide unless they dive out of they way as if a car was driving at them. Turning the shoulder makes it a yellow for me, if he didn't do that then it was nothing.

Good point, if he has time to turn his shoulder, he has time to make an effort to avoid contact, so black card for me.

Lads, if you want a game where defenders have to make split decisions to jump out of the way to avoid collisions in a give and go scenario then you want football to be played like netball. If this was hurling there'd be nobody even talking about yellow's yet for some reason we seem to be mad to have lads carded in football and then complain that the 'suits' are taking the physicality out of football. It's a physical game lets try to keep it that way.

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 30, 2017, 04:17:22 PM
34 scoring chances for Galway. Took 13.

Won't beat many good teams with numbers like that.
Dara Ó Sé in the Irish Times

"When it comes to the white heat of the championship, keeping cool under extreme pressure and taking the right option becomes a rare skill. Only a select few possess that."

Galway players have to learn.

Seamus

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 30, 2017, 03:34:23 PM
Galway could never have won this game, Kerry keeping ahead of them playing in 2nd gear, havent seen a footballer gone has far back as J O`D, G what happened him

James O'Donoghue was unable to train all week due to injury, many were surprised that he started. He was man of the match V Cork and possibly Clare also and looked back to his best. Playing today must be a sign that he is over his injury and needs game time.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

An Fhairche Abu

I don't want to be too harsh but there was a real lack of composure and belief out there today, Kerry had the handbrake on and still won at a canter. No shame in losing if playing to the best of ability but that wasn't near good enough to be competitive from Galway today.
Some curious substitutions also I thought.

Gold

Kieran Donaghy is thee most exciting and entertaining player in our game

The hum of excitment when a high ball is headed his way is fantastic

He was absolutly unplayable today....the game was won by him in the 1st 20 mins...all the shite about Kerry being poor thereafter was just that, shite. They couldve kept him at FF and JOD on and won by as much as they wanted
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

BennyCake

Gold, agreed. Donaghy makes it look so easy at times. And makes football look such a simple game.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 30, 2017, 08:44:33 PM
I don't want to be too harsh but there was a real lack of composure and belief out there today, Kerry had the handbrake on and still won at a canter. No shame in losing if playing to the best of ability but that wasn't near good enough to be competitive from Galway today.

Think managers overthink it sometimes. Walsh took off Bradshaw and Daly who were two of Galway's better players on the day. Left on others who were almost anonymous.

Syferus

Anyone who thinks Star is the most entertaining player in the game is fooling themselves.

Such a limited footballer. Today's misadventures say more about Galway than it does about Star, to be honest.

From the Bunker

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 30, 2017, 10:17:32 PM

Think managers overthink it sometimes. Walsh took off Bradshaw and Daly who were two of Galway's better players on the day. Left on others who were almost anonymous.

To be fair to Walsh the game was over when he made most of the Substitutions and I think it was a case of getting some of the lesser lights game time in Croke Park.

Wildweasel74

Is there any of the minor 3 in a row team on this Kerry panel, question exist over a fair few of the Kerry backs, i thought 1 or 2 defenders from that team would be at least on the panel??

Duine Eile

Whatever about taking off Bradshaw, he was out on his feet, taking off Daly was a crazy decision. We were very wasteful today, 4 or 5 goal chances missed, wrong options taken, passes going astray. Looking back on the year, promotion to Div 1 and winning Div 2 along with a 2 wins over Mayo and Donegal makes it look like a decent year overall but the same problems are there, too loose at the back, defence all over the place and this horrible game plan doesn't let our forwards play the way we know they can. Realistically next year the only change we're going to see is Sean Andy at no. 3.
On a side note, Ian Burke is a joy to watch, his movement and scoring is brilliant.

GaillimhIarthair

There was a real lack of everything you are supposed to get in an AIQF!  Let's be honest here, it was a terrible performance that more resembled an NFL game in March!  Nothing worse that going to CP and not giving it your all, if it's not good enough then so be it, but today was a meek insipid performance.  It hard not to be totally frustrated with what has been served up by that group on a couple of occasions this Summer.

manfromdelmonte

they stopped kicking the ball in as they had the game won

Galway kicked away 4 goal chances