AIQF 2017 Tír Eoghain vs Ard Macha, Sat. August 5th @4pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 17, 2017, 06:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

I stayed for the vast majority of the Dublin game and they do play more offensive than Tyrone. However, it isn't to the degree that people would have you believe. When Monaghan were on the attack there were regularly only two Dublin attackers in the Farney half. Like Tyrone they will bomb forward when possession is won back. Tyrone will leave Bradley up and that's it.

If i had the chance I'd love to get Mickey's thoughts on the reason he wouldn't commit one more forward to support Mark at all times up front. I suppose it's a balance he has worked out but I'd love to see us try a slightly more attack focused game plan.

armaghniac

The question of whether Dublin or Tyrone is more offensive is indeed a difficult one.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Solo_run

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 06, 2017, 01:45:06 PM
I stayed for the vast majority of the Dublin game and they do play more offensive than Tyrone. However, it isn't to the degree that people would have you believe. When Monaghan were on the attack there were regularly only two Dublin attackers in the Farney half. Like Tyrone they will bomb forward when possession is won back. Tyrone will leave Bradley up and that's it.

If i had the chance I'd love to get Mickey's thoughts on the reason he wouldn't commit one more forward to support Mark at all times up front. I suppose it's a balance he has worked out but I'd love to see us try a slightly more attack focused game plan.

As an Armagh man you have to hand it to MH, he has reinvented Tyrone football for the fourth time.  Everyone knows Tyrone have be building up the tactics they're using to  beat the best,  and I think Tyrone will do it

Quote from: StGallsGAA on August 06, 2017, 12:32:03 PM
Armagh fans.   As you waken up to a stonking Buckfast hangovers thinking the weekend can't get much worse, remember you still have to go to work tomorrow and face your Tyrone workmates!    8) ;)

Remind me when Antrim were last in the all Ireland football quarter finals?
O'Neills Therapist

Solo_run

Quote from: 02 on August 06, 2017, 02:01:30 PM
Armagh fans.   As you waken up to a stonking Buckfast hangovers thinking the weekend can't get much worse, remember you still have to go to work tomorrow and face your Tyrone workmates!    8) ;)

Cobsidering the size of Antrim compared to Armagh, the strides Antrim have made in football and in hurling is incredible. Laugh at Armagh all you want, but Antrim will always be a joke.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Solo_run on August 06, 2017, 02:13:45 PM
Quote from: 02 on August 06, 2017, 02:01:30 PM

Cobsidering the size of Antrim compared to Armagh, the strides Antrim have made in football and in hurling is incredible. Laugh at Armagh all you want, but Antrim will always be a joke.

😂 You lads must still be drunk
That was never a square ball!!

seafoid

illdecide

Didn't get home until late last night and TBH haven't the heart to read thru the last 20 pages from yesterday. I was really disappointed with Armagh yesterday, we seem to have went back into our shell again and are better than that display yesterday but in saying all that Tyrone just came out and ripped us a new ass in the first 20 mins. It was game over after about 12-13 mins and thats sad, MH is a great manager and he knew exactly how to beat us and by Jasus did we take a hiding.
It was really frustrating everytime we got the ball from our keeper and tried to attack Tyrone had 14 men behind the ball and I knew we just couldn't break them down, I said to my son after 15 mins we'll be lucky to score 6pts here today (wasn't far wrong). I'm not complaining about Tyrone's style as they play it well and it's effective but by Jasus it's so horrible to play against and horrible to watch but when they win back possesion and attack it's very impressive.

Good luck to Tyrone in the semi's, realistically they're the only team bar Kerry that have a chance of beating the Dubs and it should be a cracker. Dublin can adopt to Tyrone's tactic's too as they have similar type players and it'll prob be down to the team that makes the least mistakes that'll win. Dublin will not be looking forward to playing Tyrone and Tyrone can nick this one. Would love to see a Tyrone v Kerry final...

Good luck Tyrone. (yes having to face the Tyrone men tomorrow morning and even talk about the game is worth pulling a sickie)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

omaghjoe

Quote from: LCohen on August 06, 2017, 11:37:43 AM
Quote from: stew on August 06, 2017, 10:19:04 AM
Quote from: LCohen on August 06, 2017, 12:03:08 AM
Just in. Long day. Have read nothing.

Bad day for the super 8 concept. Where are they going to get 8?

Hugely disappointed in our performance. We deployed tactics that were guaranteed to never work. We give in before throw in. Absolute cowardice.

I read all week about the influence of 02. Where was it?

We voluntarily decided to concede possession from all Tyrone kick outs. Was that 02?

We watched this go spectacularly wrong. We did nothing about it. What were the 02 boys saying or doing about it? Giving up? Giving in? Games are unwinnable and that justifies giving up?

We allow McCrory to take McParland for a tour of HQ and do nothing to pass him on. Mickey Harte dictates our tactics. This apparently is something we should settle for?????

Mickey Harte's dearest wish was that we would abandon our game plan, retreat to defence, leave one of front, in the central channel, right in the line of their sweeper . We gave Mickey all his christmasses, birthdays and probably the horn at once.

The set up was inexcusable. The failure to respond a disgrace

Stick to our guns. Got beat with our own game plan and actually give it a go and at least there would be some pride. There was no pride in that

Tremendous post.

McGeeney bottled it, stifled our best and let Harte dictate our gameplan, I have never seen anything like it.

Tyrone were magnificent, they knew they had our number before a ball was kicked and they destroyed us as soon as she was thrown in, nothing fixes this except a complete overhaul from the youngest levels up, we need to be limiting touches at practices, we need to modernise training practices and we need to ge the f**k out od division three, no excuses, no bullshit about the referees, we need to get promoted, promoted again and we need a new leader at the helm, McGeeney is a donkey, we need a thoroughbred and we need him now!

And I forgot to mention turning our backs to Colm Cavanagh and letting him run through the middle. Really smacked of the spirit of O2

Sure Brendan Donaghy stuck his knee in him if that wasnt the spirit of 02 I dont what was

omagh_gael

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 06, 2017, 01:45:06 PM

Just having a quick look through Twitter and i noticed this pic from Wooly Parkinson. Dublin played like this for the majority of the second half.

seafoid

I love the sense of belonging the GAA brings. The unionists got rid of the counties years ago but that is just a detail.

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on August 06, 2017, 03:24:11 PM
I love the sense of belonging the GAA brings. The unionists got rid of the counties years ago but that is just a detail.

What are you rambling about sure the Orange Order uses counties?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 06, 2017, 10:41:05 AM
Are all the lads on here who were calling for Mickey Hartes head happy to pull their horns in, or do Tyrone have to beat Dublin to convince them?

I've never called for Mickey's head and have said before that given what he has done for Tyrone that he should be able to decide (within reason) when he wants to leave the job. I think the county board should have given him the extension that he asked for.

However, that doesn't mean he is above being questioned. I have often queried the style of play on which the current team has been built. I believe Tyrone have enough attacking talent to commit a lot more when going forward. Sacrificing that to win games is one thing but I still don't think Tyrone have beaten anyone playing this way that they wouldn't have beaten going with a more open style. Basically, this style has been adopted to beat Dublin. In that respect, the semi final is indeed something of an acid test. If Tyrone can't win or at least make it a real contest, then I would argue that the rebuild of this team hasn't really worked. That doesn't mean Mickey should quit if we lose!

Il Bomber Destro

Conall McCann had a really poor game yesterday and I'd say he'll lose his place for the Dublin match. McGeary also didn't have his best game and I'd consider bringing Meyler in for him.

Good to see Richie Donnelly back.

Mickey needs to pull McCarron aside, two really stupid red cards in two games, completely needless considering we were winning handy in both at the time. He could become a bit of a liability at this rate.

bennydorano

A few further random thoughts.

Why did we not believe in ourselves and just have a go? The no fear mantra was quickly forgotten about. Mickey Harte has given every Armagh manager the runaround, we always seem to feel the need to try & 2nd guess his intentions and develop a plan for him rather than just play to our strengths. The loss of Murnin was huge here tho, we wud have been different with him.

At least 1-2 or 1-3 of the first 1-5 came from direct or indirect pressure put on the Armagh Keeper's kickouts. Having done so well v Kildare we assumed this area would be a positive but it turned to a negative very quickly.

I knew the game was up when Jamie Clarke & McParland were both on the edge of our square within the first 10 minutes.

Every substitution further weakened the team, tho I think we did looked jaded so it was a lose lose situation  for Mcgeeney really.