Armagh v Tipperary 15/7/17??

Started by tonto1888, July 10, 2017, 08:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Zulu on July 16, 2017, 01:03:31 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 16, 2017, 12:39:01 AM
Any cynical jersey pulls should be black cards, but they currently aren't within the scope of the rule/sanction. If it was, instead of worrying about the number of culprits it may lead to a cleaner game and eradicate one form of cheating. Why pull a jersey in the first place?

Have you ever played any contact sport?

What McKeever did was pretty much why the black card was introduced in the first place. Totally cynical. He just got away with because he didn't actually drag the player to ground but the result is still the same.

armaghniac

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 16, 2017, 02:25:49 AM
Any cynical jersey pulls should be black cards, but they currently aren't within the scope of the rule/sanction. If it was, instead of worrying about the number of culprits it may lead to a cleaner game and eradicate one form of cheating. Why pull a jersey in the first place?

What McKeever did was pretty much why the black card was introduced in the first place. Totally cynical. He just got away with because he didn't actually drag the player to ground but the result is still the same.

Quite apart from the nature of the offence, the Black card is not an effective deterrent in injury time in any case.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

stew

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 16, 2017, 02:25:49 AM

If McKeever had dome that at the death in the NL game against Tipp we would be a D2 team, lesson learned and he was right to do what he did.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Throw ball

For whoever previously asked Niall Grimley is not a son of John. He is from the Madden Grimley clan and not the Armagh city clan.

Referee getting some stick. I do not like his way of refereeing and he did make a number of mistakes but he was far from the worst referee I saw this year. Room for improvement but OK I would say.

First time in Semple. The pitch is great but a bit of an upgrade needed in the stands. The Tipp fans were very welcoming. Special mention to Michael Quinlivan who gave up some time after match to get pictures with young Armagh fans. Lovely gesture after defeat.

DrinkingHarp

Just saw highlight videos online and it looked like it was easier for Armagh than what I am reading on here, is that a fair statement?

The one clip that made me cringe is where Stephen Sheridan scored a point. Without seeing the match and knowing what the situation was at the time it seems he missed a great/easy opportunity for a goal. He was
coming in on the left side by the goal and could have easily passed it to his support on his right for a easy tap in goal. That type of awareness makes champions.

Overall a great result for Armagh!!
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Il Bomber Destro

Orior

Hope the Down men are not reading this thread. Lots of assumptions that they will get beat by Tyrone
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: smelmoth on July 15, 2017, 11:26:32 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 15, 2017, 11:18:23 PM
So you want a guy sent off for a tug of the jersey? There's too much physicality taken out of the game already, lads getting sent off of a jersey pull would make the bloody thing entirely non-contact.

What Ciaran did was not a run of the mill jersey pull

I would have been disappointed if it had been.

stew

Quote from: Orior on July 16, 2017, 08:11:24 AM
Hope the Down men are not reading this thread. Lots of assumptions that they will get beat by Tyrone

Not beaten, hammered  ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Owen Brannigan

Qualifiers Round 4   
In the fourth round of the qualifiers, the four winning teams from round 3 play the four beaten provincial finalists. Round 4 draw rules do not allow two teams that have played each other in a provincial match to meet again if such a pairing can be avoided. The matches are normally held in neutral venues. The four winners of these matches play the provincial champions in the All-Ireland quarter-finals.

Round 4B draw takes place Monday July 17th.

If Down in this round, they have played both Armagh and Monaghan so a draw will be necessary. Venues to be decided by CCCC.

JP

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on July 16, 2017, 05:20:10 AM
Just saw highlight videos online and it looked like it was easier for Armagh than what I am reading on here, is that a fair statement?

The one clip that made me cringe is where Stephen Sheridan scored a point. Without seeing the match and knowing what the situation was at the time it seems he missed a great/easy opportunity for a goal. He was
coming in on the left side by the goal and could have easily passed it to his support on his right for a easy tap in goal. That type of awareness makes champions.

Overall a great result for Armagh!!

He made the right decision in my opinion! That was right at the end of the game and put us 4 points up! Nearly as good as a goal at that stage! It's great to have two midfielders that can run up and down the pitch all day! A far way from the days of toner/lavery etc.

blast05

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 16, 2017, 08:44:06 AM
Qualifiers Round 4   
In the fourth round of the qualifiers, the four winning teams from round 3 play the four beaten provincial finalists. Round 4 draw rules do not allow two teams that have played each other in a provincial match to meet again if such a pairing can be avoided. The matches are normally held in neutral venues. The four winners of these matches play the provincial champions in the All-Ireland quarter-finals.

Round 4B draw takes place Monday July 17th.

If Down in this round, they have played both Armagh and Monaghan so a draw will be necessary. Venues to be decided by CCCC.

They should have added another layer into this rule in that which ever pairing happened later in the relevant provisional championship should the first one to try and be avoided in situations like this, i.e.: because Down v Monaghan happened in a semi final as opposed to Down v Armagh in a quarter final, then the semi final pairing should get priority in terms of trying to avoid a repeat of that fixture ...... so assuming bookies favourites win today, then Down v Armagh and Kildare v Monaghan should have been the default fixtures imo

tippabu

I haven't read anything posted yet but ref came in for alot of stick and it did appear he completely lost the run of things and had a shocker.....that said I've no complaints over the result and Armagh fully deserved their win. We were completely flat the second half and never got going. Quinlivan everyone could see he was massively hamstrung and was nowhere near fit but he popped up with a cracking goal and that's why he had to play. All the best to Armagh in the rest of the championship.

David McKeown

I know the referee has come in for a lot of criticism for his interpretation of the advantage rule but I think this is more to do with the rule itself than his performance. What exactly constitutes an advantage?  I mean in the first half Tipp had an advantage about 30m out straight in front of the posts the player retained the ball after being fouled made a few yards and shot, the shot went wide so it was brought back for a free to Tipp which they scored. Now I'd argue the shot from closer in was the advantage and not the outcome of the shot but I understand I'm in the minority on that so I think we have to assume that a score must have resulted within 5 seconds for their to have been an advantage when a player is fouled in the scoring zone. I wonder therefore if 5 seconds had elapsed between the start of the fouls and the frees being awarded for the Armagh goal and the Tipp chance at the end. If there was then technically the referee was just being consistent in applying a poorly drafted rule.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

theticklemister

I got a bit of abuse when reffing a game recently for the advantage rule.

-A man was flying down the endline towards goal, when the opposition man pulled him back.
-I let the play go and the attacker passed the ball back to his teammate on the 13m line, he got the shot away but was under pressure from 3 defenders and pulled his shot wide.
-I brought this back for a 13m free for the earlier foul.
-My reasoning was that although he did take a shot and went wide he was under pressure, whilst his team mate was bearing down on goal before getting pulled back - no fair advantage.

Thoughts?