Armagh v Tipperary 15/7/17??

Started by tonto1888, July 10, 2017, 08:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Rewatched the last ten mins again. I understand Tipp fans frustration regarding the advantage. However, there was no guarentee he'd have scored unlike McParland

yellowcard

Neilan from what I've seen of him is a rulebook referee. Referees to the letter of the law and fails to apply common sense, looks like a man that never played much himself because his failure to apply the advantage rule is one that infuriates players and spectators. Doesn't trust his ability to control a match so blows for minimal physical contact. You only had to watch the Monaghan v Down match for an example of the difference in refereeing style after he replaced Coldrick at half time.

yellowcard

Is Geezer on a media ban, he hasn't spoke to the press since the sideline ban but no mention of it anywhere in the media.

Rossfan

Quote from: yellowcard on July 15, 2017, 09:25:32 PM
Neilan from what I've seen of him is a rulebook referee.
Errr isn't the Ref there to see the game is played in accordance with the Rules?
Apart from the total fck up over the Armagh "goal" and not giving Tipp a number of frees when their players were fouled what did he do wrong?

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armamike

Quote from: thewobbler on July 15, 2017, 06:57:52 PM
Quote from: naka on July 15, 2017, 06:54:22 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 15, 2017, 06:49:53 PM
Quote from: joemamas on July 15, 2017, 06:45:06 PM
Best team won
Not sure why Tipp crowd are annoyed
One point from play in second half

In the last 10 minutes when Tipp ran at armagh there was only 3 things happened, and none in Tipp's favour:

1. Cynical direct fouls were met with yellow instead of black.
2. Cynical off the ball fouls were ignored.
3. When no foul was made, the ref invented one in case an overlap formed.

Fair play to armagh for creating the lead. But the referee is the reason they protected it.
Wobbler concern yourself with tomorrow
We defended a lead
Just like down did with mc Kiernan in newry
We weren't cynical in the league and look what happened
Best team won

In the last 10 minutes when Tipp ran at armagh there was only 3 things happened, and none in Tipp's favour:

Fair play to armagh for creating the lead. But the referee is the reason they protected it.
We defended a lead

Honestly I say absolutely fair play to Armagh for doing it.

My point remains that they only can do it because the ref doesn't really understand what football is about. Systematic, cynical fouling should be met with appropriate punishment.

What was it that Armagh did in the last 5 or 7 minutes was so cynical and that went unpunished?  Even if McKeever had been blackcarded (when it wasn't a black card offence), in all likelihood it wouldn't have changed the result.  Were there any other yellows or reds that should have been dished out?
That's just, like your opinion man.

AZOffaly

Well done to armagh.  Disappointing day for Tipp but overall the year is still one of progress with the promotion. It would have been a very damp squib if they only had a win over Cavan. The work continues. Best of luck to Armagh in the next round.

Aaron Boone

McGeeney shows the way, great away win.

yellowcard

Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2017, 09:38:21 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 15, 2017, 09:25:32 PM
Neilan from what I've seen of him is a rulebook referee.
Errr isn't the Ref there to see the game is played in accordance with the Rules?
Apart from the total fck up over the Armagh "goal" and not giving Tipp a number of frees when their players were fouled what did he do wrong?

Being from Roscommon you must know him better than most. In the games I've seen him he is overly fussy and allows minimal contact which doesn't help as a spectator if you're looking for a free flowing game. Due to the tackle not being clearly defined in Gaelic football, the referee often has a degree of discretion he can use before deciding whether to award free kicks or not.

Armamike

Nice to get out of Tipp with the win and the team started to show a bit of resolve and tenacity to see games out.  Niall Grimley is developing very well into a very good player from frees and play. Hit some sweet ones today.  Also good to see Gavin McParland put in a really gutsy performance.  Cool finish from Jamie for the goal.  Tipp can have no complaints.  When you don't score for most of the second half and get outplayed. 

That's just, like your opinion man.

DuffleKing

Quote from: thewobbler on July 15, 2017, 07:18:14 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 15, 2017, 07:07:41 PM
Quote from: JP on July 15, 2017, 07:02:59 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 15, 2017, 06:57:26 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on July 15, 2017, 06:55:49 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 15, 2017, 06:51:17 PM
Best team won

Who should have got a black card?
Co-commentator actually said there was a pull on the jersey and couldn't understand why it wasn't a black card. Is it that hard to read a couple of lines?
Pulling a jersey isn't a black card offence.

It's been a few years now since the black card have been introduced! a pull down is a black card! pulling the jersey is not! whether its cynical play are not does not matter! only decisions the ref got wrong were regarding the advantage rule! and that was for both teams! best team won!

Not really surprising that as soon as McKeever pulled the jersey the crap commentating team immediately shouted black card.

So just to clear something up here.

Are you telling us that a pull down involving a shirt pull is not a not a black card? Or is it only such case when Armagh are involved?

McKeever should have walked. It is exactly the sort of tackle that the black card was introduced to remove from the game.

Dear me. Nothing more infuriating than this half assed approach to uunderstanding the rules of the game.

This was not a black card by any definition. Cynical? Certainly.

Main Street

Overall Armagh clearly deserved the victory. The game was a slow burner but got very interesting in the last 1/4.

I thought McKeever was going to get a black, he had no interest in the tackle just cynically drag back and impede the player. I didn't realise that a player had to be dragged to the ground before the ref would consider it to be a black card offence.

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on July 15, 2017, 10:06:26 PM
Overall Armagh clearly deserved the victory. The game was a slow burner but got very interesting in the last 1/4.

I thought McKeever was going to get a black, he had no interest in the tackle just cynically drag back and impede the player. I didn't realise that a player had to be dragged to the ground before the ref would consider it to be a black card offence.

The ref wouldn't consider it black card because it would not be a black card. I suspect McKeever knows the rule better than some here or most spectators.

Watched the goal replayed on the news, we need to get not allow people walk in like that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Solo_run

Never got to watch the game but looking forward to seeing it.

Balls.ie put up a few of the scores and there was some fine scoring from both teams

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/jamie-clarke-goal-369283

smelmoth

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 15, 2017, 06:55:49 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 15, 2017, 06:51:17 PM
Best team won

Who should have got a black card?
Co-commentator actually said there was a pull on the jersey and couldn't understand why it wasn't a black card. Is it that hard to read a couple of lines?

Rte get a lot of criticism. A lot of it deserved. But Sky sent a team to analyse that game that don't know the rules of the game they are being paid to analyse

What McKeever did should be a black card. But the rule makers didn't possess the fortitude to deliver that. Don't blame Neiland

smelmoth

Quote from: thewobbler on July 15, 2017, 06:57:52 PM
Best team won

We defended a lead
Best team won

We defended a lead

Honestly I say absolutely fair play to Armagh for doing it.

My point remains that they only can do it because the ref doesn't really understand what football is about. Systematic, cynical fouling should be met with appropriate punishment.

Appropriate to the rules or to the fan outlook?