Hypocritical Dubs

Started by Dave like the tv channel, July 04, 2017, 08:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Buttofthehill on July 04, 2017, 03:02:39 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 04, 2017, 02:00:37 PM
I've nothing personal against the Dubs; Jim Gavin seem a very good manager to e and he and the County Board are merely trying to maximize their advantages over every other team in the land. Wouldn't any other county do the same if they were given the chance?

The population of Dublin is increasing rapidly, whereas rural depopulation is a fact of life in many other counties. Tough tity as far as everyone else is concerned unless and until some hard decisions are taken..
What pisse me off bigtime is the cute hoorism of a large number of Dublin supporters; Kerry could sit back and takes lessons from them.
I mean you'll hear that Dublin' superiority in every imaginable way can be put down to the hard work of their volunteer coaches.
Who's codding who?
Every county has its volunteers and I am certain that a far higher percentage of the local community muck in to support their local club than you'll find in Dublin.
Another porky:It's just that Dublin have an exceptional bunch of talented players and when they are gone, they're gone, never to return, or something like that. What about Fenton, Small, McCarthy etc. etc.
Where are they coming from?
Look, the list is a long one but facts are facts no matter what spin is put on them.
According to Simon Coveney 40% of the population and 50% of the resources are located in the greater Dublin area and those figures are increasing rapidly.
By 2030, Dublin will have 50% of the population according to Coveney and no amount of BS can explain away the fact that it is a case of Goliath against David every time they play an intercounty game.

Leave aside coaches / money, what is your solution to the population issue.
Split Dublin into what 4? Are you in favour of amalgamation of lesser populated counties so and kiss goodbye to the county structure altogether? Speaking broadly of course, but if you're using population as your guide, you can't have one without the other.
You are bang on. The Dubs can't be blamed for everything that's wrong with the present system. Dublin is a victim of circumstances, same as every other county. The intercounty model that came into existence in 1884 is no longer fit for the purpose intended, Dublin won't be the only county that will resist change, whenever it comes, but there just has to be a radical overhaul of the present model, sooner rather than later..   

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 05, 2017, 01:26:57 AM
I've nothing personal against the Dubs; Jim Gavin seem a very good manager to e and he and the County Board are merely trying to maximize their advantages over every other team in the land. Wouldn't any other county do the same if they were given the chance?

The population of Dublin is increasing rapidly, whereas rural depopulation is a fact of life in many other counties. Tough tity as far as everyone else is concerned unless and until some hard decisions are taken..
What pisse me off bigtime is the cute hoorism of a large number of Dublin supporters; Kerry could sit back and takes lessons from them.
I mean you'll hear that Dublin' superiority in every imaginable way can be put down to the hard work of their volunteer coaches.
Who's codding who?
Every county has its volunteers and I am certain that a far higher percentage of the local community muck in to support their local club than you'll find in Dublin.
Another porky:It's just that Dublin have an exceptional bunch of talented players and when they are gone, they're gone, never to return, or something like that. What about Fenton, Small, McCarthy etc. etc.
Look, the list is a long one but facts are facts no matter what spin is put on them.
According to Simon Coveney 40% of the population and 50% of the resources are located in the greater Dublin area and those figures are increasing rapidly.
By 2030, Dublin will have 50% of the population according to Coveney and no amount of BS can explain away the fact that it is a case of Goliath against David every time they play an intercounty game.

Split Dublin into what 4? Are you in favour of amalgamation of lesser populated counties so and kiss goodbye to the county structure altogether? Speaking broadly of course, but if you're using population as your guide, you can't have one without the other.
You are bang on. The Dubs can't be blamed for everything that's wrong with the present system. Dublin is a victim of circumstances, same as every other county. The intercounty model that came into existence in 1884 is no longer fit for the purpose intended, Dublin won't be the only county that will resist change, whenever it comes, but there just has to be a radical overhaul of the present model, sooner rather than later..

Dublin as a victim. I've heard it all now Lar. Fingal already operate as a county in the stick fighting, ffs it's an actual county in the eyes of the State.

TheGreatest

some ignorant fools on this site, makes it all the special winning all Irelands, enjoy watching the greatest naturally gifted football team of all time destroy teams, its joyful and should be embraced.

Id say most of the clowns on here arnt in clubs, sit on bar stool drinking pints with their friends during Dublin matches praying for them to be defeated, sweaty hands, jumping of their seat when the opposition scores, sad really, really really sad.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

From the Bunker

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 05, 2017, 08:21:46 AM
some ignorant fools on this site, makes it all the special winning all Irelands, enjoy watching the greatest naturally gifted football team of all time destroy teams, its joyful and should be embraced.

Id say most of the clowns on here arnt in clubs, sit on bar stool drinking pints with their friends during Dublin matches praying for them to be defeated, sweaty hands, jumping of their seat when the opposition scores, sad really, really really sad.

And who is your club?

Halfquarter

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 05, 2017, 09:19:18 AM

And who is your club?

Ignore him,otherwise he'll keep it up.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on July 05, 2017, 01:30:54 AM

Who's codding who?

Dublin as a victim. I've heard it all now Lar. Fingal already operate as a county in the stick fighting, ffs it's an actual county in the eyes of the State.
I'd stop a long way short of feeling sympathy for the Dubs but that doesn't mean that they don't have problems, lots of problems coming down the line. No matter how rosy the future for Dublin appears to be, the stats are a cause for serious concern.

On the intercounty scene, Dublin has every possible advantage over the 31 others and to suggest otherwise is flying in the face of reality. But that's the sexy side of Gaelic football but there is another and it's, arguably, more important.
Next Sunday, I'd say well over 90% of Roscommon people will be behind their team and very much aware of what's going on. Galway figures will be more or less the same. Maybe no All Ireland by either to be won but the GAA is alive and well at community level in both counties.
No more than 10% of the population in Dublin give a damn about Gaelic games and that percentage is falling. I'm talking here about the volunteers who mark pitches, look after juvenile teams, support fundraisers and the likes.
"Underrepresentation" was a buzz term as far back as the early nineties when a report, commissioned by Central Council, was published. It was set up to look into issues peculiar to Dublin and report back with solutions to those problems.  It also had the remit to carry out a  compare and contrast study with other counties. The report was shelved, which was a great pity, because of resistance from vested interests.
Today, the overall problems are even worse. Having just one team to represent over 40% of the Republic's population cannot be good for the long term interests of the Association.
The fuss about unfair funding for coaching is misplaced, IMO. Giving Dublin a vastly disproportionate share of the kitty will serve to increase the already wide gap between Dublin and the rest but it isn't designed to entice a single individual into the Association at any level.
Elitist footballers is all very well but you need elitist competition to match them or the whole exercise is pointless even detrimental to the overall progress of the GAA throughout the land.

macdanger2

But but but but are you not a neutral?? Ffs, the standard of wumming on here is gone to shite if you can't even keep the story straight for 8 posts.

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 01, 2017, 12:27:47 AM
As a neutral, its look to me that its a testament to Connollys playing ability and greatness that is no so much talk on this forum,

Kilkevan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 05, 2017, 11:37:56 AM

Who's codding who?

I'd stop a long way short of feeling sympathy for the Dubs but that doesn't mean that they don't have problems, lots of problems coming down the line. No matter how rosy the future for Dublin appears to be, the stats are a cause for serious concern.

On the intercounty scene, Dublin has every possible advantage over the 31 others and to suggest otherwise is flying in the face of reality. But that's the sexy side of Gaelic football but there is another and it's, arguably, more important.
Next Sunday, I'd say well over 90% of Roscommon people will be behind their team and very much aware of what's going on. Galway figures will be more or less the same. Maybe no All Ireland by either to be won but the GAA is alive and well at community level in both counties.
No more than 10% of the population in Dublin give a damn about Gaelic games and that percentage is falling. I'm talking here about the volunteers who mark pitches, look after juvenile teams, support fundraisers and the likes.
"Underrepresentation" was a buzz term as far back as the early nineties when a report, commissioned by Central Council, was published. It was set up to look into issues peculiar to Dublin and report back with solutions to those problems.  It also had the remit to carry out a  compare and contrast study with other counties. The report was shelved, which was a great pity, because of resistance from vested interests.
Today, the overall problems are even worse. Having just one team to represent over 40% of the Republic's population cannot be good for the long term interests of the Association.
The fuss about unfair funding for coaching is misplaced, IMO. Giving Dublin a vastly disproportionate share of the kitty will serve to increase the already wide gap between Dublin and the rest but it isn't designed to entice a single individual into the Association at any level.
Elitist footballers is all very well but you need elitist competition to match them or the whole exercise is pointless even detrimental to the overall progress of the GAA throughout the land.

I'm not a football fan and don't even watch it so I have zero axe to grind with any football county. That said, the GAA is in the process of slowly killing one of this country's national games. It isn't at fault for the population difference between Dublin and the rest of the country but common sense would say that, to try to provide as competitive a championship as possible, this imbalance should be at least partially offset by an improvement in funding in other areas of the country. With all the funding going into Dublin and the massive difference in population, a behemoth is being created that will perpetually dominate. Not even Dublin fans will find it exciting to see Dublin win loads of All Irelands in a row but it is difficult to see who will stop them. They know they are in the quarter finals every year with minimal effort in Leinster. Even in the quarters they are unlikely to meet anyone who can put it up to them because these are sides who already lost in their provinces. Realistically who, of the qualifiers, is going to make them sweat this year? Maybe, maybe, Mayo but they look like they've gone off the boil. So Dublin pretty much know they can plan for August and September every year. The most recent example of an ultra-dominant team in the GAA is Kilkenny but Kilkenny's population is infinitely smaller than Dublin's and so, naturally, Kilkenny were always going to hit a patch where the players just weren't there, which is where we find ourselves now. How realistic is it though that you won't find 15 players who are good enough in a population of well over a million? Add to that the coaching and training facilities there are in Dublin and it isn't a stretch to see Dublin absolutely dominating for years to come and the gap becoming bigger not smaller. At intercounty level that will kill football because people, including Dubs, will lose interest. Kilkenny's run was always going to come to an end, I can't see the same thing happening with Dublin because all the advantages are with them.

Billys Boots

QuoteThis is turning into my favourite thread.

Dinny, the common aspect of favourite threads (in terms of comedy value) seems to be the prevalence of our old friend 'whataboutery' (and it's here in bucketloads). 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

If Mayo had scoring forwards the Dubs would only have won 2 allirelands recently. This has nothing to do with funding or population. It is to do with kicking the ball between the posts. Dublin and Kerry traditionally collect all Irelands from psychologically weaker opponents.
This has been going on for years.

Buttofthehill

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 05, 2017, 12:40:41 PM

Who's codding who?

I'm not a football fan and don't even watch it so I have zero axe to grind with any football county. That said, the GAA is in the process of slowly killing one of this country's national games. It isn't at fault for the population difference between Dublin and the rest of the country but common sense would say that, to try to provide as competitive a championship as possible, this imbalance should be at least partially offset by an improvement in funding in other areas of the country. With all the funding going into Dublin and the massive difference in population, a behemoth is being created that will perpetually dominate. Not even Dublin fans will find it exciting to see Dublin win loads of All Irelands in a row but it is difficult to see who will stop them. They know they are in the quarter finals every year with minimal effort in Leinster. Even in the quarters they are unlikely to meet anyone who can put it up to them because these are sides who already lost in their provinces. Realistically who, of the qualifiers, is going to make them sweat this year? Maybe, maybe, Mayo but they look like they've gone off the boil. So Dublin pretty much know they can plan for August and September every year. The most recent example of an ultra-dominant team in the GAA is Kilkenny but Kilkenny's population is infinitely smaller than Dublin's and so, naturally, Kilkenny were always going to hit a patch where the players just weren't there, which is where we find ourselves now. How realistic is it though that you won't find 15 players who are good enough in a population of well over a million? Add to that the coaching and training facilities there are in Dublin and it isn't a stretch to see Dublin absolutely dominating for years to come and the gap becoming bigger not smaller. At intercounty level that will kill football because people, including Dubs, will lose interest. Kilkenny's run was always going to come to an end, I can't see the same thing happening with Dublin because all the advantages are with them.

But sure Lar pointed out above that the 'GAA population' of Dublin is closer to 10% of the county. Might even be a stretch.

Syferus

Who's codding who?

You're just pulling numbers out of your arse, Lar. Way more than 10% of the county don't give a feck about GAA. Do you think the Brazilian community in Roscommon town or the Pakistani and Syrians in Ballagh give two hoots about football? Certainly doesn't help that the GAA seems to have never made any significant effort to engage those communities on a national or even local level. And that's before you get to the vast swathes of 'natives' who will turn on the TV if the county team is playing but that is the height of their engagement. Galway would be far, far less engaged than even Roscommon at the best of times. The U17 Connacht final between the two this Saturday will likely have a pitiful showing from Galway supporters, for example.

Dublin is such a competition and fairness destroying entity because it is so big and because the GAA sees potential in engaging the masses in Dublin - they're way more willing to pump money into Dublin clubs than clubs in Roscommon that work twice as hard with half the resources because supporting them won't grow the GAA's bottom line. And even the Dublin support that turns on the TV to watch the county team  is enough to get sponsors salivating st the chance of associating with them..

Lar Naparka

@Syf,
My good friend it seems that you have a congenital disposition to view the glass as being half empty all the time.
Lighten up and go smell the bees and listen to the flowers and all that. (Did I get something wrong there?)
Apart from the 10% which is at the upper range IMO, you haven't found anything else wrong with what I said.

@Butt
Ten percent of Dublin's population is way more that 100% of other counties.
I honestly believe that even at 10%, the figure is inflated. I mean you have the phenomenon of the fair weather fans, the beer bellies who'll wear the jersey and take over The Hill for championship game. They make plenty of noise and add a bit of colour to the proceedings but it's back to the Premiership the next day.  Sure, they buy match tickets but that's about the limit.

@ Kilkevan
+101
That's a superb post. I certainly couldn't do any better.

Hound

Quote from: seafoid on July 05, 2017, 01:06:23 PM
If Mayo had scoring forwards the Dubs would only have won 2 allirelands recently. This has nothing to do with funding or population. It is to do with kicking the ball between the posts. Dublin and Kerry traditionally collect all Irelands from psychologically weaker opponents.
This has been going on for years.
Mayo's forwards were well good enough to beat Dublin in the All Ireland final last year. First game they were the better team in almost every area of the pitch
The utterly bizarre occurrence of two own goals decided the game otherwise.

I wonder why Kildare aren't as good as Mayo. Or Donegal or Tyrone. Dinny has the Dubs figured out, but still runs away from that one every time!

There was a time, not too long ago, when Dublin played in Croke Park no more (and often less) than Meath or Kildare, so it could have been considered neutral then. However, the two pronged change of the Leinster Council fixing all Dublin games in Croker (until last year) and Dublin moving their league games to Croke Park, has clearly made it the home of the Dublin footballers.

The hurlers home is still Parnell Park. There are a number of teams who play more often in Croke Park every year than the Dubs hurlers. I don't think there's any doubt the hurlers are being hard done by with the fixing of the game in Thurles. The fact that Dublin footballers regularly get similar advantages to what the Tipp hurlers are getting is little consolation to the hurlers.  Although, perhaps similar to other footballers playing in Croke Park, the Dubs hurlers enjoy playing in Thurles even if their record there may indicate otherwise.