Clare v Mayo Round 3A Qualifier

Started by From the Bunker, July 03, 2017, 09:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: joemamas on July 05, 2017, 09:12:25 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on July 05, 2017, 09:08:57 PM
This game will most likely see out this core group of players,i really hope our brilliant support can show tjem appreciation in defeat. A massive thunderous clap when its over in a big grma to the lads for the massive gallant effort theyve put in these last few years.

Larry,

I agree wholeheartedly with the latter part of your comments and I hope I am also present when that happens. It will not however happen next Saturday.
No I'd be very surprised if Mayo lose on Saturday.
I'd like to have seen Mayo-Donegal in this round.
Would have been a game to really look forward to from a neutral perspective.

moysider

Quote from: larryin89 on July 05, 2017, 09:08:57 PM
This game will most likely see out this core group of players,i really hope our brilliant support can show tjem appreciation in defeat. A massive thunderous clap when its over in a big grma to the lads for the massive gallant effort theyve put in these last few years.

Now, now, Larry! This is not the time to be going all sentimental and all.We can lose on Saturday. I'd be less scary cat than the Derry game and I can see it going a few ways really. I know damn all about Clare, but like last Saturday, I expect this will also come down to what Mayo are about. If we fart around again it could be close again and we could lose it - yeah. Management has to make sure we don't do the same messing. They had their wake-up call. I'd give them a pass on the Galway game because they couldn t legislate for Higgins and the conditions.
When the core of this team eventually shuffle off, I don't think a clap will be much consolation though Larry. Not what they played for. Anyway, like in the past, this group of players will drip away one after another like others before them. As another poster said on a different thread some time ago - Mayo players don't retire, they just don't get selected anymore. The rule is, if you haven't a few AI medals you cant retire. You just get dropped or piss off.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mayoman dan on July 05, 2017, 05:46:38 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 05, 2017, 05:35:55 PM
Reality is setting in. Mayo cannot afford to shitehawk around with the ball for 65 minutes against any other team this year. Clare have nothing to lose imo and will throw everything at Mayo. What Mayo will turn up is another thing. Let's hope it's the one in extra time, although if Derry had the fitness levels Mayo had the last day in et it could be different.

I couldn't believe my ears last night when I was in conversation with a man who said that AOS had a bad game the last day. Then I told him that he kept Mayo in the game when the rest were falling badly. 'I suppose' was his response...

Agree about O Se Farr but how do we best use him??? I think Andys days as a starter should be over he was badly beaten to a few balls against Derry when he had a few yards on the defender.Id keep Andy and Loftus in reserve and throw them in for the last 25 minutes.Could we use O Se at ff with Cillian and Doherty playing off himor is he needed further out the field???

Thing is, Cillian and Doherty do too much out the field. Even when Andy is the target there's not a whole pile else going on. I can't see Rochford changing the whole forward play of having Andy as a target man at this stage of the season anyway. As for AOS's best position, midfield all day long. Look at how weak in that sector Mayo become without him. I am worried about our backs, yes Boyle will start, but Durcan missing and Keegan taking two knocks in 3 weeks might take its toll. Caff is having a 'mare of a time at full back since he returned imo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 06, 2017, 03:13:47 PM
Reality is setting in. Mayo cannot afford to shitehawk around with the ball for 65 minutes against any other team this year. Clare have nothing to lose imo and will throw everything at Mayo. What Mayo will turn up is another thing. Let's hope it's the one in extra time, although if Derry had the fitness levels Mayo had the last day in et it could be different.

I couldn't believe my ears last night when I was in conversation with a man who said that AOS had a bad game the last day. Then I told him that he kept Mayo in the game when the rest were falling badly. 'I suppose' was his response...

Agree about O Se Farr but how do we best use him??? I think Andys days as a starter should be over he was badly beaten to a few balls against Derry when he had a few yards on the defender.Id keep Andy and Loftus in reserve and throw them in for the last 25 minutes.Could we use O Se at ff with Cillian and Doherty playing off himor is he needed further out the field???

Thing is, Cillian and Doherty do too much out the field. Even when Andy is the target there's not a whole pile else going on. I can't see Rochford changing the whole forward play of having Andy as a target man at this stage of the season anyway. As for AOS's best position, midfield all day long. Look at how weak in that sector Mayo become without him. I am worried about our backs, yes Boyle will start, but Durcan missing and Keegan taking two knocks in 3 weeks might take its toll. Caff is having a 'mare of a time at full back since he returned imo.
spot on ,
I think aidan loses concentration when he left up at full forward . reminds me of Liam mchale . he never really fulfilled his potential as he was constantly being shifted from misfield  CHF and Full forward.
look at donegal too they have make a top full forward in to an average Midfielder in Murphy but still ridiculously always give him the no 14 jersey , is that Ego? or an excuse that hes not 'really' playing at midfield when things go wrong.
Aidan should be given the responsibility of being the main man and he will grab it with 2 hands and show why hes the best player in the country 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

shark

Quote from: rosnarun on July 06, 2017, 05:00:11 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 06, 2017, 03:13:47 PM

spot on ,
I think aidan loses concentration when he left up at full forward . reminds me of Liam mchale . he never really fulfilled his potential as he was constantly being shifted from misfield  CHF and Full forward.
look at donegal too they have make a top full forward in to an average Midfielder in Murphy but still ridiculously always give him the no 14 jersey , is that Ego? or an excuse that hes not 'really' playing at midfield when things go wrong.
Aidan should be given the responsibility of being the main man and he will grab it with 2 hands and show why hes the best player in the country

I suspect he always wears 14 for jersey sizing purposes. Every set made with a slightly larger number 14.

highorlow

Ease off the brandy.

AOS is the best most inconsistent player in the country. I'm afraid to say that but it's true.

I hope your right and he plays every game the same as last week but it's not in him unfortunately.

Saturday is a big test for our midfield so we will see what happens.

I'm with Larry on this one and Clare is likely the end of the road for this team.

No game plan, no brains on the line no forwards inconsistent midfield and dodgy backs says we are ripe for picking, that's the reality and there is no getting away from it.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

mrhardyannual

Quote from: highorlow on July 06, 2017, 09:47:17 PM
Ease off the brandy.

AOS is the best most inconsistent player in the country. I'm afraid to say that but it's true.

I hope your right and he plays every game the same as last week but it's not in him unfortunately.

I'm with Larry on this one and Clare is likely the end of the road for this team.

No game plan, no brains on the line no forwards inconsistent midfield and dodgy backs says we are ripe for picking, that's the reality and there is no getting away from it.

Unless of course we win (which is still the most likely outcome despite Clare being elevated to stratospheric heights)  in which case the above criticism will be packed away to be brought out again and again in the hope of a knowlegeable "I told you so"

criostlinn

Quote from: mrhardyannual on July 07, 2017, 12:59:39 AM
Ease off the brandy.

Unless of course we win (which is still the most likely outcome despite Clare being elevated to stratospheric heights)  in which case the above criticism will be packed away to be brought out again and again in the hope of a knowlegeable "I told you so"

Yep. Exactly. The stopped clocked syndrome of some Mayo "supporters". Keep banging out the same auld shite and of course you're gonna be right sometime. You know its mad, the same gobshite's be sitting above in croke park on all ireland final day and it never dawns on them how a team with "no brains on the line no forwards inconsistent midfield and dodgy backs" could even end up here.

I wonder at times, what is the agenda of lads like this. 

Syferus

Quote from: criostlinn on July 07, 2017, 01:19:39 AM
Quote from: mrhardyannual on July 07, 2017, 12:59:39 AM
Ease off the brandy.

Yep. Exactly. The stopped clocked syndrome of some Mayo "supporters". Keep banging out the same auld shite and of course you're gonna be right sometime. You know its mad, the same gobshite's be sitting above in croke park on all ireland final day and it never dawns on them how a team with "no brains on the line no forwards inconsistent midfield and dodgy backs" could even end up here.

I wonder at times, what is the agenda of lads like this.

To destroy your county from within.

highorlow

QuoteYep. Exactly. The stopped clocked syndrome of some Mayo "supporters". Keep banging out the same auld shite and of course you're gonna be right sometime.

I've supported this team and got to 90% of championship games over the last decade and will make the journey tomorrow so away with your quotation marks young lad.

Go back through my posts here over the years and I've been 100% behind the lads and tipped us when others were in doubt.

I'm entitled to state it as it I see it and don't get me wrong I hope we open up the floodgates tomorrow.

Based on a long line of evidence (even going back to Westmeath game last year) the first major banana skin we meet this year might catch us.

Maybe Rochford might let the lads throw off the shackles tomorrow and forget tactics and his over thinking of the game, I think it is this that is holding us back.

The kicking game simply doesn't work for us. We need to revert back to the way we played under JH. Hopefully this weeks players meeting might sort it.

rosnarun

because all teams with 'no brains on the line no forwards inconsistent midfield and dodgy backs' get to draw with dublin in the ALL Ireland final and then lose by a point in the replay.

May supporter really need to kop themselves on and realize what aspecial group of guy we have at the moment. they have neve fail to get back up after soe defeat that would have killed most teams

highorlow

Ros, I know what happened last year. Thanks.

joemamas

Quote from: rosnarun on July 07, 2017, 10:06:47 AM
because all teams with 'no brains on the line no forwards inconsistent midfield and dodgy backs' get to draw with dublin in the ALL Ireland final and then lose by a point in the replay.

May supporter really need to kop themselves on and realize what aspecial group of guy we have at the moment. they have neve fail to get back up after soe defeat that would have killed most teams

+1

This special group of players have never quit, they deserve our unreserved support.

They will lose some day, but it will not be tomorrow, It is not a banana skin, Clare are a decent team, Mayo know that.

Ballaghman

Quote from: highorlow on July 07, 2017, 01:32:03 PM
Glad to hear it. How can you justify saying there are no brains on the sideline so?
As for going back to the way JH did things, that didn't work out well for us ultimately. This group at this stage of their careers definitely couldn't sustain that kind of high octane football for 70+ minutes. Rochford knows this so give him a little credit for trying to play a more controlled type of game. He hasn't found the right balance yet this year, he did last year imo and needs to go back to that. To say he has no brains is harsh and uncalled for. Maybe he does overthink things a little but he's a very clued in guy.

rosnarun

hell be a genius Sunday morning
Quote from: highorlow on July 07, 2017, 01:32:03 PM
if you do then why the comment ?

Mayo had 17 wide . not a good think but shows their dominance and that did not come with out a proper plan  . If rochford does not do something about that then there may be a problem but lets wait for the death of the patient before the post-mortem