Westmeath v Armagh (Sat 08.07.17) Cusack Park, 7pm

Started by illdecide, June 26, 2017, 09:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 04, 2017, 09:50:01 PM
I'm wary about this game. I think we should win but I just don't know how Westmeath will react.

I don't think we will win. Westmeath are better than what they showed v Dublin.

naka

Quote from: LCohen on July 04, 2017, 07:02:27 PM
Quote from: naka on July 04, 2017, 06:53:37 PM
Think Armagh have the bit between their teeth and will pull through this.
As I said before this will be a tough game
But just feel that Armagh have a date later on this summer with the mourne men

So its Down in the next round then. What's that based on?
Nope down on 30 July

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: blast05 on July 04, 2017, 05:59:24 PM
Quote from: oliverkelly on June 27, 2017, 01:15:42 PM
Live in the Athlone area and i know a few of the Westmeath lads. There are some lads the team and panel that shouldnt be a within an arses roar of a county panel. I expect Armagh to win by 6+ points and would be very surprised if they do not.

Westmeath may not have big strength in depth but they have some fantastic players. I'd take Heslin, Martin, Sharry, Maguire among others on to a Mayo starting 15.
What got hidden in Westmeath's defeat to Dublin amid Gavin's nonsense rant was that Westmeath - collectively and individually - put in an absolutely brutal performance. Yes, Dublin were terrific but every Westmeath player should have hung their heads in shame at their lack of conviction, drive, energy, etc when things were going so badly against them - and that donkey of a manager they have should have resigned on the spot for sending out such an ill-prepared team.
The best result for long term betterment of Westmeath football would be a 7-8 point defeat with no structure, organisation, tactics etc so that manager would go. However, I think there is enough leadership and pride in Martin, Heslin and co that they will actually put in a decent performance, play to potential and win

Apart from Heslin the one player your team needs the most would be Ger Egan. Plays midfield for us due to our dearth of options there but would be a savage wing forward in the Galvin/Dooher/Flynn mould. Unbelievable engine and a good long range scorer.

I'm cutting Cribbin some slack for the Dublin no show, it was the players who wanted to have a go after playing it tight for the last two years. Although he should have known better and either changed the kickouts or taken off Quinn when it was going pear shaped. I don't agree that getting rid of Cribbin would be the answer to our prayers however, we have only lost to Dublin in Leinster under his management and we all know the Goliath they are now, we've made Leinster finals back to back for the first time in our history, only our 4th and 5th ever. We've being coming out the right side of tight championship games for the first time since 06 so have to credit him with that. Tactically wise I feel he could do with some more help, he's got really good S&C, nutrition, performance people in there, just needs a Jim McGuinness who is focused on tactics and coaching.

The 2 weeks from the Dublin game is huge, it's still fresh in our minds but enough time to digest it and come again at it. A week would have killed our chances so I agree with you that we'll put in a performance and should win. Here's hoping.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

bennydorano

What would be the best radio station to pick up the game Saturday evening via Internet?

AZOffaly

Owen Brannigan

SKY showing the hurling qualifier on Saturday.

Shamrock Shore

I fancy WH for this one.

Home crowd, tight pitch, smarting after Dublin so nothing to lose.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 06, 2017, 12:37:24 PM
I fancy WH for this one.

I think their drubbing against Dublin won't be a huge factor as the players themselves decided to give it a lash and see what happens. If they'd went hammer and tongs to stay as close to Dublin as possible with a specific defensive system then, yeah, a 30 point stuffing would be catastrophic. However, their mindset going in and the two week break leave them a dangerous prospect when added to the factors above.

seafoid

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

Sort of game that could be decided by home advantage.I would make Westmeath slight favourites

brokencrossbar1

It's a game that will be decided by the start. If Westmeath start well and get into the game I expect it will be tight and in Martin and Heslin have 2 forwards who'll cause us real problems. If we go out strong I would think that WM might crumble as their confidence will be flaky early on. Home advantage will help them a lot though we have done well away from home this year. I think we will win but it could be a 1-2 point struggle or a 10-12 point canter depending on the start

mcklatchee

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 06, 2017, 01:18:27 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 06, 2017, 12:37:24 PM
I fancy WH for this one.

I think their drubbing against Dublin won't be a huge factor as the players themselves decided to give it a lash and see what happens. If they'd went hammer and tongs to stay as close to Dublin as possible with a specific defensive system then, yeah, a 30 point stuffing would be catastrophic. However, their mindset going in and the two week break leave them a dangerous prospect when added to the factors above.

Would agree with that. I don't see the drubbing they got as being relevant. They knew the risk they were taking, that they would lose and that they would end up here.

Armagh should win. We have the better player even if Westmeath have a few stars.
If you must ask a difficult question, ask someone else in 5 years time. I have a 5 yr plan you know

Armamike

No idea how this one will go. Don't know much about Westmeath but suspect they will want to restore a bit of pride after the last game.  Armagh are as flaky as hell, so hard to know if we will start well or just sleepwalk through the first half until we realise there's a game on and it's a bit too late.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Owen Brannigan

1       Blaine Hughes    an Chrupain
2      Aaron Mc Kay   Dromainn Ti
3      Charlie Vernon   Cláirsigh Ard Mhacha
4      Paul Hughes   Raonaithe na Croise
5      Aidan Forker   An Machaire
6      Brendan Donaghy   Cluain Mhor
7      James Morgan   Raonaithe na Croise
8      Stephen Sheridan   Foirceal
9      Niall Grimley   Na Madáin
10      Ciaran O'Hanlon   Cill Shleibhe