Westmeath v Armagh (Sat 08.07.17) Cusack Park, 7pm

Started by illdecide, June 26, 2017, 09:46:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

I'm glad that Armagh just scrapped over the line - it emphasises that we still have a lot of work to do.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Throw ball

Quote from: smelmoth on July 09, 2017, 12:22:12 PM
In fairness to Lone Shark I think it's entirely possible to attend a game as a neutral, see things that you don't like, judge that one team are more culpable and post on a discussion forum about that team. If they happen to be winners and the opposition now effectively irrelevant for the remainder of the season then all the more so.

We remain relevant. We in the draw and gave another game. It will be refereed by one of the guys on the current roster and the rules of the game won't change by next Saturday. We have discipline and tackling issues to worry about by next Saturday. We also need to look at same issues in our club and underage games and in our coaching. Controls the controllables and all the usual mantras

Stop being so sensible. There is no fun in that. :D

You are 100% on coaching.

A further factor might be that we are used to watching football played in a more physical fashion than is allowed in other provinces.

smelmoth

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 09, 2017, 08:54:07 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 09, 2017, 08:38:41 AM
What about the description of McCabe's performance? The 40 fouls? The closed fists? The late hits? The fouling rates in previous games?

If we cannot see this ourselves or recognise it when it is pointed out to us then we have a problem.

We have been crying about refs for 2 years now. Is there not something we can do on discipline and executing the tackle to address this ourselves? Or is it easier to gripe and complain about outside influences i.e. Refs? Maybe Armagh's games should be refereed by the refs that officiate other counties?

He already mentioned those. McCabe was a walking red from the moment he walked on. I didn't see what Clarke done but there's a few differing reports out there so it's hard to know. As for Morgan, my uncle said to me after a few minutes that Westmeath were trying to get him sent off it black carded.  A few minutes later he was. Was it deserved? Happened on the opposite side of the pitch to me so I can't say but again different people saying different things. One Westmeath man I spoke to afterwards said it wasn't. One Armagh man said it was so who knows.
The 40 fouls though. Bad number but how many of them should never have been frees? That said we didn't wise up to it at all.
The guy gave a very thorough report but it certainly wasn't an unbiased report as he claimed. Loneshark makes some very valid points. As do you. But just because we have been mentioning refs for two years doesn't mean we should overlook their ineptitude when they do it

I was merely drawing your attention to the accuracies in LS's report. What was McCabe sent on to do? What percentage of what he did was within the rules? Could you stand with your back to play, put both hands on the opponents arms and mark the player by staying within the rules? Big question for us Armagh fans is what the f**k is going on in the prep that allows this to happen?

The big positive was that we showed fight but that doesn't mean physical aggression. O'Neil taking that point was fight . The sort missing at the end of so many other games

smelmoth

Quote from: Throw ball on July 09, 2017, 11:49:26 AM
Never mind this match in isolation but isn't the black card rule as it stands a load of crap. It just adds greater pressure and frustration. As others have said it seems most players, referees, fans etc. don't know rule.

Journalists, pundits and some referees are struggling with it. That needs addressed. But the rule must stay

Orior

In what other sport would you get 100 kids playing on the pitch at half time?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Throw ball

Quote from: Orior on July 09, 2017, 12:34:47 PM
In what other sport would you get 100 kids playing on the pitch at half time?

Was great to see.

On another note the announcer in Mullingar seems to enjoy a bit of craicash!   Some funny one liners from him.

Main Street

That's a remarkably blinkered, one sided account by a neutral as I have ever read.

I take it that  midlanders have a unique understanding of the concept of neutrality and taken in a much wider context, Lone Shark's neutrality is as questionable as a sighting of Elvis.

smelmoth

Quote from: Throw ball on July 09, 2017, 12:27:55 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 09, 2017, 12:22:12 PM
In fairness to Lone Shark I think it's entirely possible to attend a game as a neutral, see things that you don't like, judge that one team are more culpable and post on a discussion forum about that team. If they happen to be winners and the opposition now effectively irrelevant for the remainder of the season then all the more so.

We remain relevant. We in the draw and gave another game. It will be refereed by one of the guys on the current roster and the rules of the game won't change by next Saturday. We have discipline and tackling issues to worry about by next Saturday. We also need to look at same issues in our club and underage games and in our coaching. Controls the controllables and all the usual mantras

Stop being so sensible. There is no fun in that. :D

You are 100% on coaching.

A further factor might be that we are used to watching football played in a more physical fashion than is allowed in other provinces.

We have a cultural problem. We are not alone but to heck with the rest we have ourselves to worry about. A big hit within the rules is a joy to watch. Slapping around the opponents arms with closed fists is anything other than stupid. It sure ain't manly. O'Neill's point on the other hand took nads

smelmoth

Quote from: Orior on July 09, 2017, 12:27:13 PM
I'm glad that Armagh just scrapped over the line - it emphasises that we still have a lot of work to do.

A lot of truth in that

I also think some of the bigger names look vulnerable in the qualifiers. Could be a good year to have a good year

tonto1888

Quote from: smelmoth on July 09, 2017, 12:30:52 PM
What about the description of McCabe's performance? The 40 fouls? The closed fists? The late hits? The fouling rates in previous games?

If we cannot see this ourselves or recognise it when it is pointed out to us then we have a problem.

We have been crying about refs for 2 years now. Is there not something we can do on discipline and executing the tackle to address this ourselves? Or is it easier to gripe and complain about outside influences i.e. Refs? Maybe Armagh's games should be refereed by the refs that officiate other counties?

He already mentioned those. McCabe was a walking red from the moment he walked on. I didn't see what Clarke done but there's a few differing reports out there so it's hard to know. As for Morgan, my uncle said to me after a few minutes that Westmeath were trying to get him sent off it black carded.  A few minutes later he was. Was it deserved? Happened on the opposite side of the pitch to me so I can't say but again different people saying different things. One Westmeath man I spoke to afterwards said it wasn't. One Armagh man said it was so who knows.
The 40 fouls though. Bad number but how many of them should never have been frees? That said we didn't wise up to it at all.
The guy gave a very thorough report but it certainly wasn't an unbiased report as he claimed. Loneshark makes some very valid points. As do you. But just because we have been mentioning refs for two years doesn't mean we should overlook their ineptitude when they do it

I was merely drawing your attention to the accuracies in LS's report. What was McCabe sent on to do? What percentage of what he did was within the rules? Could you stand with your back to play, put both hands on the opponents arms and mark the player by staying within the rules? Big question for us Armagh fans is what the f**k is going on in the prep that allows this to happen?

The big positive was that we showed fight but that doesn't mean physical aggression. O'Neil taking that point was fight . The sort missing at the end of so many other games

My point was if he is neutral why did he completely ignore the antics of the WM team? It was far from a neutral report. Accurate? Yes for the most part. Very in some parts. Neutral? Far from it

smelmoth

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 09, 2017, 01:03:00 PM

My point was if he is neutral why did he completely ignore the antics of the WM team? It was far from a neutral report. Accurate? Yes for the most part. Very in some parts. Neutral? Far from it

It's not a match report or an affidavit.

It hits at a number of valid criticisms of our team. Dealing with those points is the sensible thing to do. You carry on with whatever you think is helpful

Feckitt

Are Armagh due to play again this Saturday coming?  Or will it be the following week?

smelmoth

Quote from: Feckitt on July 09, 2017, 01:17:45 PM
Are Armagh due to play again this Saturday coming?  Or will it be the following week?

This week

tonto1888

Quote from: smelmoth on July 09, 2017, 01:11:38 PM

It hits at a number of valid criticisms of our team. Dealing with those points is the sensible thing to do. You carry on with whatever you think is helpful

He claimed he was a neutral. His report clearly wasn't. And some of it was just wrong. And I have agreed that some of the criticisms are correct

smelmoth

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 09, 2017, 01:21:19 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 09, 2017, 01:11:38 PM

He claimed he was a neutral. His report clearly wasn't. And some of it was just wrong. And I have agreed that some of the criticisms are correct

See post 164