Dubs v Westmeath 25 June

Started by The Hill is Blue, June 24, 2017, 12:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 25, 2017, 06:34:22 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 25, 2017, 06:32:30 PM
Dubs non-print media ban over the meeja's reporting on Connolly. Sweet Jebus.

All this talk of splitting the championship pisses me off. So what if Westmeath get hockeyed. We got hockeyed 4 years ago and all the talk was the same.

Since we have beaten Derry, Down, Monaghan and Laois in the championship. Where would you put us?

Does nobody remember the farce that was the Tommy Cooper Cup?

I was really looking forward to listening to Jim Gavin afterwards talking about how hard Wesmeath pushed them and how they are happy to have just gotten over them.

"You know in fairness Westmeath are a great side and we got the bounce of the ball at key times and pulled away in the last few minutes. I'd say that won't be the last we'll see of Westmeath this year because as I say they're a great side."

That would have been the jist of any interview.

Syferus

Quote from: square_ball on June 25, 2017, 06:38:50 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 25, 2017, 06:34:22 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 25, 2017, 06:32:30 PM
Dubs non-print media ban over the meeja's reporting on Connolly. Sweet Jebus.

All this talk of splitting the championship pisses me off. So what if Westmeath get hockeyed. We got hockeyed 4 years ago and all the talk was the same.

Since we have beaten Derry, Down, Monaghan and Laois in the championship. Where would you put us?

Does nobody remember the farce that was the Tommy Cooper Cup?

I was really looking forward to listening to Jim Gavin afterwards talking about how hard Wesmeath pushed them and how they are happy to have just gotten over them.

"You know in fairness Westmeath are a great side and we got the bounce of the ball at key times and pulled away in the last few minutes. I'd say that won't be the last we'll see of Westmeath this year because as I say they're a great side."

That would have been the jist of any interview.

Don't forget the smug smile off into the middle distance.

Fuzzman

Jaysus I feel so guilty for bringing my young lad to watch Leinster football. Every game I come back thinking we do we bother as it is such a non event.
I can understand of course teams don't have the resources Dublin have but I can never understand their lack of fight and intensity, especially in the first half.
So many times a player gets a shot away with no power in the tackle at all. It's as if they just want to get the defeat over with so they can focus on the next game

shark

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 25, 2017, 07:03:44 PM
Jaysus I feel so guilty for bringing my young lad to watch Leinster football. Every game I come back thinking we do we bother as it is such a non event.
I can understand of course teams don't have the resources Dublin have but I can never understand their lack of fight and intensity, especially in the first half.
So many times a player gets a shot away with no power in the tackle at all. It's as if they just want to get the defeat over with so they can focus on the next game

You're going to the wrong games  ;). Westmeath scored 3-17 against Offaly last week. But yeah, they didn't believe they could win. Didn't want to be there. I don't know how the players are convinced to go back every year. They train their asses off when the chances of success are zero.

I know it didn't seem like it there today, but there are some excellent footballers on that WH team. But there are also some that wouldn't make some of the stronger club sides in Dublin. At that's where the gap shows.  A player who started corner forward in the great semi win over Meath 2 years ago can't get a kick of a ball with Vincent's since he transferred to them last year. Heslin looked like a poor footballer today, but if he was full forward for Dublin he would have lit up Croke Park. It's hard to know what the answer is, but it sure isn't the Dublin team's fault. You have to admire them.

Syferus

Quote from: shark on June 25, 2017, 07:11:57 PM

You're going to the wrong games  ;). Westmeath scored 3-17 against Offaly last week. But yeah, they didn't believe they could win. Didn't want to be there. I don't know how the players are convinced to go back every year. They train their asses off when the chances of success are zero.

I know it didn't seem like it there today, but there are some excellent footballers on that WH team. But there are also some that wouldn't make some of the stronger club sides in Dublin. At that's where the gap shows.  A player who started corner forward in the great semi win over Meath 2 years ago can't get a kick of a ball with Vincent's since he transferred to them last year. Heslin looked like a poor footballer today, but if he was full forward for Dublin he would have lit up Croke Park. It's hard to know what the answer is, but it sure isn't the Dublin team's fault. You have to admire them.

There are very few excellent footballers in that Westmeath team, even Heslin or Martin. How Cribbin is still there is beyond me.

shark

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2017, 07:15:34 PM

There are very few excellent footballers in that Westmeath team, even Heslin or Martin. How Cribbin is still there is beyond me.

There are a few though. It will be impossible for me to convince you of that after today's game though. And Heslin is one of them. I'm certain the Dublin players who have played alongside him, like Mannion and McCaffrey would agree. Martin is somewhat one dimensional.
Anyone who has played football knows it's easier to look good playing on a winning team. If you took any one of the Dublin players in isolation and dropped them in to the WH team today they'd look useless too.

lenny

Quote from: shark on June 25, 2017, 07:23:17 PM

There are a few though. It will be impossible for me to convince you of that after today's game though. And Heslin is one of them. I'm certain the Dublin players who have played alongside him, like Mannion and McCaffrey would agree. Martin is somewhat one dimensional.
Anyone who has played football knows it's easier to look good playing on a winning team. If you took any one of the Dublin players in isolation and dropped them in to the WH team today they'd look useless too.

totally agree with this point. If you picked just one player from each team no matter which players and swapped them the reult would have been exactly the same with the same sort of difference.

Syferus

I've seen Heslin play against us in do-or-die matches and be marked out of it just as easily as today. Lad may have talent but there is a severe lack of purpose and belief in that Westmeath team, and even basic skills are lacking. I knew after seeing them in 2015 that Cribbin was a terrible manager so the fact he's there in 2017 tells me a hell of a lot about Westmeath GAA.

manfromdelmonte

Westmeath today reminded me a lot of their county board

not a clue what they are doing and no desire to have a plan to turn things around

shark

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2017, 07:33:06 PM

I've seen Heslin play against us in do-or-die matches and be marked out of it just as easily as today. Lad may have talent but there is a severe lack of purpose and belief in that Westmeath team, and even basic skills are lacking. I knew after seeing them in 2015 that Cribbin was a terrible manager so the fact he's there in 2017 tells me a hell of a lot about Westmeath GAA.

It tells you that there is no money there. Cribben is liked by the county board as he doesn't cost much  and doesn't spend much.

Heslin has never played a do or die match against Ros. He has played 1 league game, if that's what you refer to. In that game Ros were so far ahead all over the field that any forward would be easy marked.
Anyway you have your opinion, I have mine. An intercounty team is as strong as its weakest links, from 1-21. Westmeath's weakest are way below the level needed to compete with Dublin. And they won't be getting any stronger, players aren't there. Same players will keep plugging away though I'm sure.

maigheo

I see after a few good posts elsewhere Syferus is back to posting drivel again

From the Bunker

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 25, 2017, 07:42:45 PM
Westmeath today reminded me a lot of their county board

not a clue what they are doing and no desire to have a plan to turn things around

To turn things around one would probably have to look to put Westmeath in Connacht. There they'd have a chance of winning a Provincial Title at least. Staying in Leinster under present circumstances and trying to spend your way out of this hole is not viable option.

People talk about Dublin and the fade out factor. How many of the 2011 winning team started today. This is a work in progress!

Captain Scarlet

Dublin are class but in Leinster teams just let them have their way. Feck it, even a late hit would be something but its just let them do what they want.
Every team should be able to rattle it for 20 minutes surely?
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Syferus

Quote from: shark on June 25, 2017, 07:45:20 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2017, 07:33:06 PM

It tells you that there is no money there. Cribben is liked by the county board as he doesn't cost much  and doesn't spend much.

Heslin has never played a do or die match against Ros. He has played 1 league game, if that's what you refer to. In that game Ros were so far ahead all over the field that any forward would be easy marked.
Anyway you have your opinion, I have mine. An intercounty team is as strong as its weakest links, from 1-21. Westmeath's weakest are way below the level needed to compete with Dublin. And they won't be getting any stronger, players aren't there. Same players will keep plugging away though I'm sure.

It was a game where Westmeath had just come down from D1 with the specter of going straight down to D3 if they lost. For a county so far off the pace in their province that's far more do-or-die than any Leinster match they have faced in a long time. We had only came up from D3 that season so we had no business being so far ahead of Westmeath. If Heslin or that team had anything about them it would have shown that day. We played very poorly that day so it was incredible to me how far off the pace Westmeath were even despite that.

When you look at counties like Fermanagh, Longford, Monagahan and even Cavan and ourselves Westmeath have absolutely no excuse for being this bad. A manager being liked by the CB never stopped one being thrown out by the clubs here.. where's the leadership in the county?

sambostar

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on June 25, 2017, 08:11:11 PM
Dublin are class but in Leinster teams just let them have their way. Feck it, even a late hit would be something but its just let them do what they want.
Every team should be able to rattle it for 20 minutes surely?
Exactly, think there was only 1 card & that was well into 2nd half. At least try to get into Dubs faces, hit them hard, take a card or 2. Don't just stand back admiring them. Spineless stuff