Down v Monaghan - Saturday 24th June at 7pm

Started by interested, June 13, 2017, 08:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Íseal agus crua isteach a

You know when all is said and done there is no substitute for sheer determination. 

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Dubh driocht on June 23, 2017, 07:10:53 PM
Monaghan are stronger all over the field, on the bench and on the line. O'Rourke is a grizzly veteran of Ulster battles and last year's massacre in Clones was the worst trimming I've ever seen in the USFC. The Wylies and Walsh take no prisoners, the Hughes Bros are class acts and as for McManus..... They probably have one more shot at the big time and we know from last year that they're not a back door team so make no mistake they will be up for it. And yet....5 years ago at the same stage at the same venue it  looked like a tanking was on the cards until a wee man from Kilcoo said 'to hell with this,we're Down and we don't go out of the championship like lambs', and up popped a certain Darren O'Hagan to fire over the winner. If that happens again the place to be is MacGowans in Almerimar😁
For a wee man from Kilcoo read a big man from Glasdrumman. The joy of the championship🐑

JimStynes

Another cracking match in the championship! It's been great so far. Down put their bodies on the line and wanted it more. The very first passage of play reminded me of the Tyrone/Kerry game in 2004(I think) - swarms of down men chasing after a Monaghan player to get the ball. Some cracking marks in the game as well. It's always good to see Down doing well though I can't see them beating Tyrone.  Hopefully they can kick on from here, get a couple more wins and inspire them get their underage teams going again.

Does Down have any plans to get a set up similar to Garvaghy that Tyrone have?

macdanger2

Fair play down, thought Monaghan would win handy

mrdeeds

Quote from: hardstation on June 24, 2017, 11:34:55 PM
Would like to see the penalty again. I only quickly caught the final replay but it appeared that the Down man tripped over a Monaghan boy who was, at the time, doing nothing but lying on the ground.

He attempted to tackle and fell in front of the Down player who tripped over him denying a goal scoring chance. Penalty juat about I reckon.

PAULD123

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 21, 2017, 11:43:33 AM
Down have the players to challenge Monaghan. Jerome Johnston and Ryan Johnston are easily good enough to cause any defenders problems. McKernan is an All-star and quality. Elsewhere I just don't buy that Monaghan are loaded with players who are hugely naturally more talented than Down's footballers....

I thought Monaghan would win, I admit that but I did say that this idea that Monaghan's players are so much more talented than ours was not true. I stand by that.

Schkite

Would like to see the penalty again. I only quickly caught the final replay but it appeared that the Down man tripped over a Monaghan boy who was, at the time, doing nothing but lying on the ground.

I was sat fairly close to it and had a good view, and initially thought we were hard done by. But I haven't watched it back and put that thought down to bias, which is usually the case.

I have heard a few saying it wasn't a clear cut penalty so I'll have to get another look at it. It's a pity as it was only really after the goal that I began to think we'd left ourselves with too much to do. Regardless of how the penalty was given, it was a shocking kick out by Beggan to give Down the opportunity.

omagh_gael

I'd call it a penalty every day of the week. Walshe came in from behind with a clumsy enough tackle, fell infront of the down player and caused him to go to ground. Denied a certain clear attempt at goal although not the worst foul in the world.

Down certainly paid for that 50/50 call as the got the square root of f**k all for the rest of the half.

Itchy

It was a classic encounter.

One one hand you had Monaghan men who thought they only had to turn up they being a top 4 team and all. Then you had Down who just decided f**k it we will go for it and see what happens. Not sure does it make Down a good team or Monaghan a poor team, most likely its somewhere in the middle. Enjoyed the spectacle.

Fuzzman

Timing is everything and I've just read Kevin Cassidy's article in the Gaelic Life.
He strongly tipped Donegal last week so he spent most of this article saying how wrong he was and so his last short paragraph says.
"Meanwhile I will think twice before I back against Tyrone again, well at least until they cross paths with Monaghan anyway. "

Stop digging Kev.

omaghjoe

Defo penalty but at the same time it was sorta soft.

It was a cute as f**k move. He tired to made it look like he accidentally fell in such a way to stop the Down man advancing but it was quite deliberate. If it was out the field you'd rarely get a free for it.

omagh_gael

I recorded the game and watched it later in the evening. Don't think I fast forwarded once during the whole game. Mighty stuff.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 25, 2017, 12:05:40 AM
I recorded the game and watched it later in the evening. Don't think I fast forwarded once during the whole game. Mighty stuff.

I wish I'd thought to do the same!

Nanderson

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 25, 2017, 12:12:21 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on June 25, 2017, 12:05:40 AM

I wish I'd thought to do the same!
I recorded it on both RTE and the BBC just to see the difference in vibe between the 2 stations.
As for the penalty decision, a monaghan player got a free in the 1st half when a down man was on the ground by simply falling over him so it was fair to give the penalty

PMG1

Quote from: Schkite on June 24, 2017, 11:44:17 PM

I was sat fairly close to it and had a good view, and initially thought we were hard done by. But I haven't watched it back and put that thought down to bias, which is usually the case.

I have heard a few saying it wasn't a clear cut penalty so I'll have to get another look at it. It's a pity as it was only really after the goal that I began to think we'd left ourselves with too much to do. Regardless of how the penalty was given, it was a shocking kick out by Beggan to give Down the opportunity.
I think the penalty was for the push in the back after the ball spilled