We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 06, 2017, 09:57:03 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 06, 2017, 09:56:06 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 06, 2017, 09:52:36 PM
Dublin have a great record in getting their man off the hook and they've been fairly shameless in the type of incident they can wriggle out of.
Expect Connolly to beat this charge..

Have Mayo not done the same in recent years? They had Keegan and Kevin Keane's bans overturned when they were clear as day red card offences.

By the letter of the law and through his own stupidity, Connolly has got himself in this situation. I don't think it was a big deal though, it was a nothing incident in reality and only for it was Connolly who committed it there wouldn't have even been any commentary about it.

Do you think McGeeney deserved 12 weeks?

It's not been disclosed what McGeeney is alleged to have done as far as I'm aware.

Throw ball

If the referee and linesman involved took no action during the game - and surely at least one of them was aware of it - then I cannot see how a ban will not be overturned. During the game they decided no sanction was needed.

mayoaremagic

Dublin have a great record in getting their man off the hook and they've been fairly shameless in the type of incident they can wriggle out of.

Have Mayo not done the same in recent years? They had Keegan and Kevin Keane's bans overturned when they were clear as day red card offences.

By the letter of the law and through his own stupidity, Connolly has got himself in this situation. I don't think it was a big deal though, it was a nothing incident in reality and only for it was Connolly who committed it there wouldn't have even been any commentary about it.

The difference is keegan and keane done nothing.how connolly got off punching keegan was a disgrace.had the cheek to say was been choked

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 06, 2017, 10:21:26 PM

The difference is keegan and keane done nothing.how connolly got off punching keegan was a disgrace.had the cheek to say was been choked

They both committed red card offences but as you're just a poor caricature effort at a Mayo fan with no subtleties I won't engage much further.

tonto1888

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 06, 2017, 09:59:35 PM

It's not been disclosed what McGeeney is alleged to have done as far as I'm aware.

Fair point but it's pretty much accepted that he said something to mcquillan. Do you think he deserved a 12 week ban for that

Avondhu star

Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 06, 2017, 09:45:29 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on June 06, 2017, 09:42:57 PM
Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 06, 2017, 09:10:49 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 05, 2017, 09:42:33 PM
Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 05, 2017, 08:19:58 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 05, 2017, 11:38:38 AM
Quote from: highorlow on June 05, 2017, 10:05:23 AM
Ah FFS M4S no need for this shit. This isn't us. Pull this thread. Known some of our lads We will have our our own discipline to deal with before the season is over.

The incident itself was not an infringement of the rules when common sense is applied. He patted the linesman.

Was it the Paul Galvin incident back in the day that caused the wording in this rule?

Mayo's shouldn't stoop to the level of Spillane and O'Rourke, I thought that was a contrived attack on the lad by them last night and criminalising the lad before he gets a hearing. Some pair of gobdaws.

I'm sorry but there is need for this. For two All-Irelands we've been the victim of an orchestrated media attack before we ever did a thing.
Here is a high profile opponent that has clearly broken the rules. Whether the punishment is harsh or not doesn't change the offence.
And its not because its Connolly in particular, if it was a Galway lad I'd be looking for the same thing

+1

Media campaigns cost us 2 All Irelands in 2012 and last year. Our lads should have 2 All Ireland medals in their pockets. My opinion Connolly should be suspended for 6 months. GAA need to make an example of him.

Nonsense. Not being good enough cost you all irelands you idiot. Just when you think you might want mayo to win one someone like you comes along

That a fact fact tom. Maurcie Deegan cost us a All Ireland final last year. hopefully we get a fair referee this year

The fact that ye had no forwards had nothing to with it I suppose

That just a myth Cillian o'Connor, Alan Dillon, Kevin McLoughlin and Andy Moran. i would rather have them than Diarmuid Connelly

How many Mayo defenders got All Stars last year?
Now how many Mayo midfielders and forwards got All Stars last year?
See where the problem is and if you think any Mayo forward is better than Connolly than you really should take up watching cricket or chess
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 06, 2017, 10:50:08 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 06, 2017, 09:59:35 PM

Fair point but it's pretty much accepted that he said something to mcquillan. Do you think he deserved a 12 week ban for that

Well we don't know what McGeeney did, it would depend on what he did or said.

I think it can be quite easy to lose the run of yourself on the line over a decision. When you look at the leeway the likes of Davy Fitzgerald and Brian Cody have got down through the years then it would seem harsh but I know absolutely nothing of what McGeeney did.

The main problem is the GAA are extremely bad at nipping these things in the bud. They may have rules in place but they don't enact them consistently so it's unfair when there is some sort of media driven singling out of an individual to be punished under a rule rarely enacted.

You look at the diving/simulation part of it. In the past few years we have had plenty of incidents to varying degrees - Shields, McCann, Philly McMahon, Aidan O'Shea, Mark Anthony McGinley, Michael Lundy, Rory Beggan etc. The GAA have had ample time to enact some rule that puts say a two match ban on players found guilty of diving or simulation. Instead they tried to put a trumped up charge on McCann due to media pressure and have done nothing at all in the subsequent events. It's a mess. The McCann incident was very high profile and caused a lot of hysteria, it was from then on, the GAA should have brought the rule in and publically communicated that it would be severly clamped down upon.

Likewise with the incidents involving match officials. After the Davy Fitz incident this year, that's when the GAA should have been extremely vocal on where they stand on this. Instead McGeeney was suspended for some incident pre-dating that and Connolly now seems to be in bother.

In reality I think the Connolly shove is a nothing incident, the ref should speak to him and tell him to settle down. However, by the letter of the law it was probably is a 12 week ban. But letter of the law means very little in GAA precedent - you look at the overturning of Connolly's red card against Donegal in 2011, Lee Keegan's red card against Kerry in 2014 - both quite harsh but foolish acts by the players that by the letter of the law are red card offences. Then you have even more preposterous successful appeals like Kevin Keane's in 2015.

There is no equality with the GAA disciplinary procedure.

blast05

Put yourself in the linesmans shoes .... you have 3 or 4 players jostling for the ball on the sideline after a kickout. Ball goes over the line. You award the line ball to Carlow but the Dublin guy holds on to the ball and a bit of jostling starts. Then ...you have Diarmuid Connolly screaming at you and pointing his finger, Diarmuid Connolly FFS, you have Carlow sideline and a few thousand people in the stands screaming at you, you know there is a TV camera behind you. Your heart is jumping out of your chest, you're can barely remember what has just happened. OK, calm down, gather your thoughts - what the fcuk just happened there? I don't know .... it was a blur, maybe i got the line ball call wrong given Connollys reaction. Was it much of a reaction ? sure all the Carlow lads were screaming at the same time. Oh fcuk it, let the game run, next time.

After the game....  'ah bolloux, he did put a hand on me, he was screaming in my face. Why the fcuk didn't i take a bit more time to gather my thoughts. Well f**k it. Sean ... come here to see this side line incident on my phone. I think we fcuked up and we should have made a call on it. It needs to go in your report'

Yes, of course i made it all up but this scenario (linesman and ref realizing afterwards as they togged in that they messed up and should have adjudicated on the incident) allows for CCCC intervention as i understand it.

The perhaps more amazing thing from the game is how completely ineffectual Connolly was. 1pt from a 45 with the last kick of the game. 2 pts from play in his last 3 championship games. Its all fine and well Connolly showing his genius when Dublin are hammering some team or other in Leinster, but (and please correct me if i am wrong Dublin folks) he hasn't consistently made a big enough contribution when it counts in the Dublin colours.

Anyway, no one wins in all of this. As a Mayo fan, i'd rather Connolly hadn't done what he done on Saturday but given that he has, then given his profile and the implications for refs at club level if no punishment, then he has to get the 12 weeks

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: blast05 on June 06, 2017, 11:22:35 PM
Put yourself in the linesmans shoes .... you have 3 or 4 players jostling for the ball on the sideline after a kickout. Ball goes over the line. You award the line ball to Carlow but the Dublin guy holds on to the ball and a bit of jostling starts. Then ...you have Diarmuid Connolly screaming at you and pointing his finger, Diarmuid Connolly FFS, you have Carlow sideline and a few thousand people in the stands screaming at you, you know there is a TV camera behind you. Your heart is jumping out of your chest, you're can barely remember what has just happened. OK, calm down, gather your thoughts - what the fcuk just happened there? I don't know .... it was a blur, maybe i got the line ball call wrong given Connollys reaction. Was it much of a reaction ? sure all the Carlow lads were screaming at the same time. Oh fcuk it, let the game run, next time.

After the game....  'ah bolloux, he did put a hand on me, he was screaming in my face. Why the fcuk didn't i take a bit more time to gather my thoughts. Well f**k it. Sean ... come here to see this side line incident on my phone. I think we fcuked up and we should have made a call on it. It needs to go in your report'

Yes, of course i made it all up but this scenario (linesman and ref realizing afterwards as they togged in that they messed up and should have adjudicated on the incident) allows for CCCC intervention as i understand it.

The perhaps more amazing thing from the game is how completely ineffectual Connolly was. 1pt from a 45 with the last kick of the game. 2 pts from play in his last 3 championship games. Its all fine and well Connolly showing his genius when Dublin are hammering some team or other in Leinster, but (and please correct me if i am wrong Dublin folks) he hasn't consistently made a big enough contribution when it counts in the Dublin colours.

Anyway, no one wins in all of this. As a Mayo fan, i'd rather Connolly hadn't done what he done on Saturday but given that he has then, then given his profile and the implications for refs at club level if no punishment, then he has to get the 12 weeks

As a matter of interest and balance, do you find Colm Boyle's reactions to refereeing decisions acceptable? In big games in the past few years I've seen him jumping up and down in front of a referee and roaring in his face and the only punishment he has received is the ball being brought further forward.

Main Street

Quote from: lenny on June 06, 2017, 09:51:29 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 06, 2017, 08:23:46 PM
We've spoke enough about him. He's been handed down a 12 week ban. Close/lock the thread.

It'll obviously be overturned because video evidence can only be used when the officials have missed the offence. Connolly will be playing in the next dublin match.
It has been mentioned before in the thread that the CCCC can refer the incident back to the officials for another opinion.
It's called the Nice referendum precedent.

macdanger2

What's the wording of the rule relating to whether a ref sees an incident but decides it's not worthy of a sanction??

@tonto,  you're arguing with a troll, have a look at a few of his posts/threads ffs

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 06, 2017, 11:26:55 PM

Anyway, no one wins in all of this. As a Mayo fan, i'd rather Connolly hadn't done what he done on Saturday but given that he has then, then given his profile and the implications for refs at club level if no punishment, then he has to get the 12 weeks

As a matter of interest and balance, do you find Colm Boyle's reactions to refereeing decisions acceptable? In big games in the past few years I've seen him jumping up and down in front of a referee and roaring in his face and the only punishment he has received is the ball being brought further forward.

Jez the moral police are out in full swing this evening! Luckily Tyrone set the bar high in Moral standards on the pitch otherwise you would not be able to throw so many stones!

orangeman

Bernard Flynn says the officials should get punished for not dealing with the incident involving Diarmuid.

What's Bernard smoking these days ?.

Main Street

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 07, 2017, 12:08:34 AM
What's the wording of the rule relating to whether a ref sees an incident but decides it's not worthy of a sanction??

@tonto,  you're arguing with a troll, have a look at a few of his posts/threads ffs
Read GAA Official Guide part 1
rule 7.3 Procedures for Disciplinary and Related Hearings
Initiation of Disciplinary Action

Gael85

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 06, 2017, 11:26:55 PM

Cillian O'Connor is far worse than Boyle for roaring at referees