'Splitting into two groups of 16 is inevitable for football'

Started by seafoid, May 21, 2017, 12:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on June 01, 2017, 11:28:45 AM
AZ,
Qualifiers are total knock out yet the games get very poor attendances.
Last year's figures were inflated by Mayowestros' presence from Round 2.
Problem with Offaly v Westmeath is we (the other 30) know that it is irrelevant in the greater scheme of things as neither of them will win Leinster or the AI.
Only games involving the top 5 or 6 will generate outside interest as people will be curious as to how the bigger teams are shaping up new players etc.

Qualifiers are by their nature diluted. It's already two beaten teams, and they are not provincial championships, so the crowd isn't bothered.

trileacman

f**king about with the championship sorta means f**k all. I think we should go either with an open draw knock-out of get rid of the qualifiers and keep the league as is done in almost all other sports nowadays.  Boys harp on about champions league, have you ever sat down and watched a European cup or champions league that didn't involve your chosen side? The vast majority are f**king muck, most lads at soccer matches are there for the singing.

The easiest change to make is to change points structure in the league the same as rugby. That breeds intent and favours attacking play. The simply structure is;

Win-4 pts
Draw -2 pts
score 3 goals or more - 1 point
Finish within 3 points - 1 point
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Keyser soze

Well if the highlighted part was 'give players regular, structured games against teams of similar ability'. Well the only way to do that is through a league structure as far as I can see.

Zulu

And that would be my favoured solution, link the league to the championship via seeding based on league position and get rid of the provincials. However, a senior, intermediate and junior championship offers that too.

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 01, 2017, 01:54:40 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 01, 2017, 11:28:45 AM
AZ,
Qualifiers are total knock out yet the games get very poor attendances.
Last year's figures were inflated by Mayowestros' presence from Round 2.
Problem with Offaly v Westmeath is we (the other 30) know that it is irrelevant in the greater scheme of things as neither of them will win Leinster or the AI.
Only games involving the top 5 or 6 will generate outside interest as people will be curious as to how the bigger teams are shaping up new players etc.

Qualifiers are by their nature diluted. It's already two beaten teams, and they are not provincial championships, so the crowd isn't bothered.
The Rhubarbs were bothered enough to turn up.
How many expected at Westies v Biffos? 5k?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

How many would turn up for the Rossfan Intermediate Championship clash?

Syferus

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 01, 2017, 04:42:55 PM

Quite a lot (potentially). Who would have thought you could get 60K at a Munster Leinster game before rugby went pro? I think if teams were at full strength and really trying to win it then fans would respond. You'll always get more bandwagonners when your county are one of the best teams in the country but I see no reason why significant numbers won't go to games if they know they are going to watch a genuine contest between teams that want to win.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on June 01, 2017, 04:57:00 PM

Quite a lot (potentially). Who would have thought you could get 60K at a Munster Leinster game before rugby went pro? I think if teams were at full strength and really trying to win it then fans would respond. You'll always get more bandwagonners when your county are one of the best teams in the country but I see no reason why significant numbers won't go to games if they know they are going to watch a genuine contest between teams that want to win.

I guarantee you less would turn up than for the first round of Leinster Championship that neither side have a chance of winning.

From the Bunker

Not many. You ve to create an incentive. A bit like the Europa League winners get into the Champions League. The intermediate champions show get into the super 8. 

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 01, 2017, 05:12:40 PM

I guarantee you less would turn up than for the first round of Leinster Championship that neither side have a chance of winning.
Too much room for ambiguity left in that sentence :)

How was last year's Offaly v Westmeath? wasn't it an all out game which went to the wire?

seafoid

Quote from: trileacman on June 01, 2017, 02:09:51 PM
f**king about with the championship sorta means f**k all. I think we should go either with an open draw knock-out of get rid of the qualifiers and keep the league as is done in almost all other sports nowadays.  Boys harp on about champions league, have you ever sat down and watched a European cup or champions league that didn't involve your chosen side? The vast majority are f**king muck, most lads at soccer matches are there for the singing.

The easiest change to make is to change points structure in the league the same as rugby. That breeds intent and favours attacking play. The simply structure is;

Win-4 pts
Draw -2 pts
score 3 goals or more - 1 point
Finish within 3 points - 1 point
The GAA could learn a lot from rugby league

Zulu

I disagree. Maybe initially crowds might not be great and the success of it would be dependent on the attitude of the players but I don't accept that fans can't be won over. The rugby example is proof that that's true. People want to attend live sport and want to support their county. If they had something they could get on board with they would come.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 01, 2017, 05:32:27 PM

Not many. You ve to create an incentive. A bit like the Europa League winners get into the Champions League. The intermediate champions show get into the super 8.

When is the Super 8 to be played, the middle of July? If it is in the middle of July, the Intermediate Championship would then have to be finished by the end of June? That would effectively relegate it to a pre-season tournament.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on June 01, 2017, 05:56:43 PM

I disagree. Maybe initially crowds might not be great and the success of it would be dependent on the attitude of the players but I don't accept that fans can't be won over. The rugby example is proof that that's true. People want to attend live sport and want to support their county. If they had something they could get on board with they would come.

You tend to disagree with a lot of things that involve not ghettoising counties and not protecting Dublin as a single entity.