Author Topic: Car Insurance!!!!!  (Read 15949 times)

Rois

• View Profile
Re: Car Insurance!!!!!
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2017, 11:35:25 AM »
The three biggies are Autoline, Hughes and Abbey, but they are brokers, so you could also try Axa Direct.

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2017, 12:15:22 PM »
Probably on line with Admiral/Elephant if your age is a problem.  Multicar policies from them offer a little more discount and if you can put two older drivers onto the insurance you get a significant discount.

If you are a little older like me, Post Office or LV that I use - 195 for a Golf 2.0 TDI.  LV also have a multicar discount.

Rois

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2017, 01:06:47 PM »
I used to be able to get better prices online but not any more.

stiffler

• RIP ONL & THE LADS
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2017, 10:03:53 PM »
Thanks guys, Axa direct gave me the best price by using a broker that does not quote online.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

CiKe

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2017, 11:10:44 PM »
Maybe this is a stupid question I don't know but can anyone tell me why despite the fact that as your car ages and the amount you would be paid in event of a write-off goes down, the insurance premium goes up annually (even when you have had no claims)?

If I don't have an accident this year am I statistically more likely to have one next year or something like that? Or is it just insurers taking the piss?

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2017, 11:14:45 PM »
Maybe this is a stupid question I don't know but can anyone tell me why despite the fact that as your car ages and the amount you would be paid in event of a write-off goes down, the insurance premium goes up annually (even when you have had no claims)?

If I don't have an accident this year am I statistically more likely to have one next year or something like that? Or is it just insurers taking the piss?

My premiums did not go up every year, then went down and then went up quite a bit in recent years. The reason for that was the lower premiums weren't really doing the business. Insurance companies used make money on investing the premiums, but interest rates are now at rock bottom.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

CiKe

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2017, 11:15:10 PM »

And if I am "statistically" more likely to have an accident, will telematics negate these law of large numbers statistics based on me being a good driver? How widely in use is telematics in premium calculations in Ireland? Over here in Spain, there only seems to be one company making use of them so far but is more on a pay as you drive kms basis i.e. distance driven as opposed to driver behaviour

CiKe

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2017, 11:17:46 PM »

My premiums did not go up every year, then went down and then went up quite a bit in recent years. The reason for that was the lower premiums weren't really doing the business. Insurance companies used make money on investing the premiums, but interest rates are now at rock bottom.

Hadn't thought of the investment side of the equation. Interesting you say that, maybe i'll live to see a lower premium at some point then. Only had car the last few years and invariably goes up about EUR 25 despite me threatening to leave each year. Value of car must be no more than half what it was initially.

Rois

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »
Insurance Premium Tax has also increased over the last few years.
Insurers will also go low to get volume, but then that competitive pricing expires, and it's a different insurer who offers the better pricing.