The Rebels

Started by Redhand Santa, May 12, 2017, 08:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

The people of the 26 Cos won't be voting on any All Ireland set up until AFTER you lot in the 6 Cos vote to leave the Disunited Kingdom or whatever combination with England and Wales if Scotland has broken free by then.
Voting against letting PSNI members join the GAA isn't very "United Ireland friendly".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Franko

Quote from: Hardy on May 12, 2017, 03:09:47 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 12, 2017, 02:53:09 PM
Fair enough, if you're happy with that man's opinion then so be it.
But if that is the stance, you've very little grounds for defending the people of the 26 against the assertion by many northern nationalists that they were pretty much abandoned by their southern 'comrades' post partition.

How does his view represent "abandoning" northern nationalists? He doesn't say whether he's for or against it. He simply says that a change to a united Ireland would not have much effect on the daily lives of people in Cork. That's more than likely true. Even reasonable people in the North would agree that that's the case by comparison with the effect it would have on the daily lives of people in the North.

He could be a fervent proponent of a united Ireland and still hold that view.

Ah yes, 'fervent proponent' of something says it won't affect him much if it actually happens.  ::)

Rossfan

I could be a fervent proponent of women's rights in Saudi Arabia.
It won't make any difference to me if it happens though.

Avondhu star

But if that is the stance, you've very little grounds for defending the people of the 26 against the assertion by many northern nationalists that they were pretty much abandoned by their southern 'comrades' post partition.

The most important thing is that the Nordie continues to have a nice big chip on both shoulders as they draw their Sterling welfare benefits and use the N.H.S.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

armaghniac

Quote from: Avondhu star on May 12, 2017, 06:01:47 PM
The most important thing is that the Nordie continues to have a nice big chip on both shoulders as they draw their Sterling welfare benefits and use the N.H.S.

What do you expect them to do, exactly?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Rossfan on May 12, 2017, 04:37:37 PM
The people of the 26 Cos won't be voting on any All Ireland set up until AFTER you lot in the 6 Cos vote to leave the Disunited Kingdom or whatever combination with England and Wales if Scotland has broken free by then.
Voting against letting PSNI members join the GAA isn't very "United Ireland friendly".

I only brought the rule 21 vote to elaborate on where cork lies on the support of their brothers in the north
Your views on the security forces in the north around the time of the vote is of no interest to anyone up here as you where not subjected to their tyranny and collusion

Different times now in fairness but back in 98 it was very very raw

As for the timming of an all Ireland referendum would you stop stating the obvious
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Avondhu star on May 12, 2017, 06:01:47 PM

And what about  nationalist who work for a living and never spent a night in hospital and pays taxes to the British exchequer to fund the NHS
Do you westbrits think any more or less of us
Sounds like you don't have to be from the north to have a chip on your shoulder
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

BennyCake

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 12, 2017, 06:30:30 PM

I only brought the rule 21 vote to elaborate on where cork lies on the support of their brothers in the north
Your views on the security forces in the north around the time of the vote is of no interest to anyone up here as you where not subjected to their tyranny and collusion

As for the timming of an all Ireland referendum would you stop stating the obvious

Yep. Spot on.

Even though the GAA is an all Ireland organisation, the vote on Rule 21 should only have happened in the 6 counties.

seafoid

If things did fall into place and a referendum become possible in the South I am sure RTE would change their tune. The people could be softened up over a period of time.  I imagine the Irish Independent would be rejectionist. 

The border is a joke anyway.  The North is as Irish as anywhere in the South. A certain amount of  dissent in the 1500s led to the plantation. Another joke.

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on May 12, 2017, 06:48:28 PM

Yep. Spot on.

Even though the GAA is an all Ireland organisation, the vote on Rule 21 should only have happened in the 6 counties.
Time to bury that oul chestnut.
Set up ye're own partitionist 6 Cos GAA if ye wish.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 12, 2017, 03:18:46 PM

He's not exactly opposed to the idea either, the fact he mentioned the distance instead of any financial
Implications suggest to me I hadn't give it much thought, it certainly hadn't a westbrit tone more apathetic.
Point being I don't think he is representational of most cork people on a UI
I can empihise with your view and why you think that way
I spend a bit of time around Dublin and midlands and Imm fed up listening to all the "we can't afford you" and the like
I maybe nieve but if all county referendum comes the people on the republic will do the right thing bar the westbrit factions in the capital and west
Cork,Kerry Tipp etc I would every faith in them
What westbrit factions in the west?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 12, 2017, 09:25:43 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 12, 2017, 03:18:46 PM

He's not exactly opposed to the idea either, the fact he mentioned the distance instead of any financial
Implications suggest to me I hadn't give it much thought, it certainly hadn't a westbrit tone more apathetic.
Point being I don't think he is representational of most cork people on a UI
I can empihise with your view and why you think that way
I spend a bit of time around Dublin and midlands and Imm fed up listening to all the "we can't afford you" and the like
I maybe nieve but if all county referendum comes the people on the republic will do the right thing bar the westbrit factions in the capital and west
Cork,Kerry Tipp etc I would every faith in them
What westbrit factions in the west?
I think it was west Cork

Avondhu star

Yep. Spot on.

Why? Dont they play games against the 26 county teams? Maybe the six county teams would prefer to spend their time playing with themselves, something you would know about
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on May 12, 2017, 09:02:18 PM

Yep. Spot on.

Time to bury that oul chestnut.
Set up ye're own partitionist 6 Cos GAA if ye wish.

I suppose the RUC brutality and harrassment was pretty bad in Roscommon alright.

BennyCake

Quote from: Avondhu star on May 12, 2017, 10:04:47 PM

Yep. Spot on.

Why? Dont they play games against the 26 county teams? Maybe the six county teams would prefer to spend their time playing with themselves, something you would know about

Your post explains why I said what I said in my original post.