The Rebels

Started by Redhand Santa, May 12, 2017, 08:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-39891853/could-brexit-lead-way-to-a-united-ireland

Watch from 4 minutes 11 to see the view in Cork from a gaa man on a united Ireland.

Franko

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 12, 2017, 08:03:56 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-39891853/could-brexit-lead-way-to-a-united-ireland

Watch from 4 minutes 11 to see the view in Cork from a gaa man on a united Ireland.

Saw that earlier... thought it belonged in the WTF thread.

Redhand Santa

The north is 280 miles from us so we wouldn't really care what happens there basically summarised his thoughts on the matter.

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

tc_manchester

I would say that he was quoted in order to suit Fergal Keane's agenda. The man did say that some people get worked up about the border but Fergal didn't go and ask them.

BennyCake

If anything, the Orange man interviewed is more shocking. He wants to wave his fleg, salute Lizzie and call himself a British citizen (actually, it's 'subject') without thinking how his day to day life could be affected. Is the Queen going to put him up if he loses his job and is turfed out on the street?! Pretty much sums up the unionist mentality in the North actually.

Cork man at least looks at it sensibly. People are concerned with feeding themselves, andputting a roof over them. That's what it all boils down to in the end.

Antrim Coaster

That Cork chap would appear to be a member of Na Piarsaigh who's club badge is a red hand without the thumb.

The thinking behind the badge is when the 6 counties are returned then the thumb will be added.

Then again Cork is full of West Brits so I wouldn't expect anything less than a partitionist attitude from a Langer.

Hardy

Far be it from me to defend the langers, but what did he say that was untrue? And what is reprehensible in his opinion that a united Ireland probably wouldn't have that much effect of the lives of people in Cork? He's certainly correct in relative terms in comparison to the effect unification would have on the lives  of people in the North.

armaghniac

Cork full of Mé Féiners. Quel surpise.
This from a county that "opposed partition" by shooting Michael Collins.

Was Milltown Row interviewed?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

OakleafCounty

It's great the way one persons opinion automatically represents a whole county and probably region on these boards. Especially when that opinion isn't automatically Republican.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: OakleafCounty on May 12, 2017, 01:31:57 PM
It's great the way one persons opinion automatically represents a whole county and probably region on these boards. Especially when that opinion isn't automatically Republican.

+1
The cork man is just giving an honest answer in the subject although a bit "nimby"

Don't think there are two many westbrits around the south east compared to Dublin

Cork was the only southern county to back Ulster during the rule 21 abolition and croke park really had to pressure them to change their stance

If a referendum came I wouldn't be worried about Cork compared to Dublin and mayo
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Geoff Tipps

Nothing controversial about that man's view. I would imagine that's the feeling of the majority of citizens in the 26 counties.

Franko

Fair enough, if you're happy with that man's opinion then so be it.
But if that is the stance, you've very little grounds for defending the people of the 26 against the assertion by many northern nationalists that they were pretty much abandoned by their southern 'comrades' post partition.

Hardy

Quote from: Franko on May 12, 2017, 02:53:09 PM
But if that is the stance, you've very little grounds for defending the people of the 26 against the assertion by many northern nationalists that they were pretty much abandoned by their southern 'comrades' post partition.

How does his view represent "abandoning" northern nationalists? He doesn't say whether he's for or against it. He simply says that a change to a united Ireland would not have much effect on the daily lives of people in Cork. That's more than likely true. Even reasonable people in the North would agree that that's the case by comparison with the effect it would have on the daily lives of people in the North.

He could be a fervent proponent of a united Ireland and still hold that view.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Franko on May 12, 2017, 02:53:09 PM

He's not exactly opposed to the idea either, the fact he mentioned the distance instead of any financial
Implications suggest to me I hadn't give it much thought, it certainly hadn't a westbrit tone more apathetic.
Point being I don't think he is representational of most cork people on a UI
I can empihise with your view and why you think that way
I spend a bit of time around Dublin and midlands and Imm fed up listening to all the "we can't afford you" and the like
I maybe nieve but if all county referendum comes the people on the republic will do the right thing bar the westbrit factions in the capital and west
Cork,Kerry Tipp etc I would every faith in them
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets