Gorse Fires

Started by Syferus, May 10, 2017, 09:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I'd say to watch the gorse burn is an answer but it's not a philosophical answer, it's just an observation. The philosophy is in the why does the teenager (usually a young teenager) want to watch the bush burn, where is the attraction in doing that. From my experience I did it when I was aged 13 or so. I had a 15 min daily walk across fields to get to school. I'd pick on a lone bush, watch it go whoosh and fade out in a flash, just like a burst of anger. Kids in a group doing it has a different dynamic.
It was a curious event which caused me to stop. One day coming home  I met the farmer (son of  IRA legend Frank Aiken no less) and he pulled me aside. I thought I was busted  but he just wanted me out of the way. We hid together behind a bush and observed a young girl on her own, set a gorze bush on fire.
He didn't confront her, but I was off the hook. Looking back I suppose it was the detachment of the experience, as if I was watching myself doing something that now looked cheap and weird, afterwards I had no desire to continue with my arsonic ways.
Perhaps there was a trademark ground breaking teenage therapy method in there somewhere, be secretly filmed doing the deed and made to watch it afterwards.

TabClear

Quote from: Main Street on May 11, 2017, 04:44:24 PM
I'd say to watch the gorse burn is an answer but it's not a philosophical answer, it's just an observation. The philosophy is in the why does the teenager (usually a young teenager) want to watch the bush burn, where is the attraction in doing that. From my experience I did it when I was aged 13 or so. I had a 15 min daily walk across fields to get to school. I'd pick on a lone bush, watch it go whoosh and fade out in a flash, just like a burst of anger. Kids in a group doing it has a different dynamic.
It was a curious event which caused me to stop. One day coming home  I met the farmer (son of  IRA legend Frank Aiken no less) and he pulled me aside. I thought I was busted  but he just wanted me out of the way. We hid together behind a bush and observed a young girl on her own, set a gorze bush on fire.
He didn't confront her, but I was off the hook. Looking back I suppose it was the detachment of the experience, as if I was watching myself doing something that now looked cheap and weird, afterwards I had no desire to continue with my arsonic ways.
Perhaps there was a trademark ground breaking teenage therapy method in there somewhere, be secretly filmed doing the deed and made to watch it afterwards.

Hmmm, not so sure secretly filming young teenagers is the way forward.....

AZOffaly

Sure that's what CCTV already does anyway.

Main Street

Well, they do these sessions where a convicted person has a controlled encounter with the person or persons harmed by their actions and the research into the results support the benefits to this type of interaction.
For the most part, offenders only see their action from their own eyes, they don't experience the effect of their actions, they don't see it or live it from the other person's perspective.
Not only that, they don't see themselves doing their actions from another perspective, their own objective (sober) perspective.

BennyCake

Great drying weather, and all those clothes stinking on the line.