Eamon McGee on retiring, mental health struggles and drinking

Started by Real Talker, May 01, 2017, 09:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 03, 2017, 06:31:54 PM
McGee gave it out but took it back as well.

You'd swear some of you lads are from counties who have never had a player commit some blackguarding in their career.

+1. I wish we had a few McGees/Riceys/Martin O'Connells/Philly McMahons/Galvins/Lyons/Seán Docs/ P Sés. Lads with a wee bit of thuggery who could play football. Short supply in the Mournes.  :( :( :(
The Aristocrat Years

J70

Quote from: rosnarun on May 02, 2017, 10:30:29 AM
he was a nasty thug on the pitch , ask Enda Varley and many others and his of pitch attempt to come across as the thinking mans footballer are laughable. Id prefer to judge people by their actions rather than the BS they concoct in a radio studio to sound good.

What a load of bollocks.

He was no angel on the pitch, like many others, but what has that got to do with what he says on twitter or in an interview?

One has nothing to do with the other.

Syferus

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 03, 2017, 09:22:36 PM

You'd swear some of you lads are from counties who have never had a player commit some blackguarding in their career.

+1. I wish we had a few McGees/Riceys/Martin O'Connells/Philly McMahons/Galvins/Lyons/Seán Docs/ P Sés. Lads with a wee bit of thuggery who could play football. Short supply in the Mournes.  :( :( :(

I wouldn't exactly say Ricey could play football.. the game is better without that shite.

Taylor

A real nasty player.
If a forward was better than him he seemed intent on trying to bully them out of the game.

Would be a player you would love to have on your team but despise him if he played against you

rosnarun

Quote from: J70 on May 03, 2017, 11:28:04 PM
he was a nasty thug on the pitch , ask Enda Varley and many others and his of pitch attempt to come across as the thinking mans footballer are laughable. Id prefer to judge people by their actions rather than the BS they concoct in a radio studio to sound good.

What a load of bollocks.

He was no angel on the pitch, like many others, but what has that got to do with what he says on twitter or in an interview?

I agree with you in so far as i I could not give a toss  what he says on twitter . we saw the Character of the man on the pitch how he reacted to being beaten and it was not pretty ,
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

The Stallion

Quote from: Taylor on May 04, 2017, 09:29:35 AM
A real nasty player.
If a forward was better than him he seemed intent on trying to bully them out of the game.

Would be a player you would love to have on your team but despise him if he played against you

I wouldn't love to have him on my team. He was a cynical player who didn't have much football in him.

J70

Quote from: rosnarun on May 04, 2017, 10:58:54 AM
Quote from: J70 on May 03, 2017, 11:28:04 PM

What a load of bollocks.

I agree with you in so far as i I could not give a toss  what he says on twitter . we saw the Character of the man on the pitch how he reacted to being beaten and it was not pretty ,

You dismiss the intelligent points he made (assuming you even listened to it or have a clue what he speaks about in general) as bullshit purely on account of his on-field exploits.

If you don't like him and are closed to what he has to say, even though you don't actually know the man, fine.

That doesn't mean he's talking bullshit.

It just means you're defining his entire character on one incident.

Which means there must be quite a few high profile GAA players and other sportsmen who you think are lowlifes. And I guess people in your own circles too.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: The Stallion on May 04, 2017, 12:34:07 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 04, 2017, 09:29:35 AM
A real nasty player.

I wouldn't love to have him on my team. He was a cynical player who didn't have much football in him.

Nonsense Stallion. Eamonn had plenty of football in him. The brother on the other hand!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Syferus on May 04, 2017, 12:58:23 AM

I wouldn't exactly say Ricey could play football.. the game is better without that shite.

Are you for real?? Ricey was an unreal player! And I hated him playing against Derry.

The Stallion

McMenamin was a very good footballer when he wasn't indulging in the pathetic cowardly stuff like slabbering about people's family etc.

Both McGees however were never good players. The fact Donegal played so defensively helped prevent their weaknesses being exposed too often.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: The Stallion on May 04, 2017, 02:31:32 PM
McMenamin was a very good footballer when he wasn't indulging in the pathetic cowardly stuff like slabbering about people's family etc.

Both McGees however were never good players. The fact Donegal played so defensively helped prevent their weaknesses being exposed too often.

Not many good 1 on 1 markers this good few years in fairness Stallion. The 2 McMahons a good example of the system masking faults.

Syferus

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 04, 2017, 02:26:04 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 04, 2017, 12:58:23 AM

Are you for real?? Ricey was an unreal player! And I hated him playing against Derry.

He was good at unsettling his marker. That's pretty much it. A good footballer is something very different.

The Stallion

He was good at both. Although he shouldn't really have been allowed to play the game given his pathetic antics.  Fortunately for him Mickey Harte clearly doesnt mind that sort of behaviour from his players.

Taylor

Quote from: The Stallion on May 04, 2017, 03:36:35 PM
He was good at both. Although he shouldn't really have been allowed to play the game given his pathetic antics.  Fortunately for him Mickey Harte clearly doesnt mind that sort of behaviour from his players.

Dont start this nonsense again.

Everyone has it in for M Harte. If we can get Sam back across the border there will be some sick idiots about

Stall the Bailer

What utter crap being talked here about top county footballers​ not being good.
In any walk of life if you are in top 20% you would been seen as good, top 10% probably very good, top 1% probably legends or the likes.
Our county footballers especially in the top counties like Donegal are definitely good footballers. Men who consistently make championship teams year after year are fine footballers.
Someone whose career ended at u14 or spent their life on sub bench belong at the other end of scale.
You do a great disservice to our players and the GAA.