Leinster SFC Westmeath V Longford

Started by AN other, May 08, 2007, 09:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longfordian

I agree Billy its our ability to defend v a FF line of Dolan and Two Glennons ...... Brady while quick and speedy and been caught out with a taller / stronger man ...... Masterson has done well enough as a makeshift FB ....while we havent been able to replace Conefery and are looking at Farrell or Reilly as a makeshift corner back ...........

Mulligan and Hanniffy have been solid enough at WHB and CHB ....... then who do you pick the other wing ....Reilly ...or play Ledwidth and Reilly as a corner back ...... or perhaps go with Dowd as a HB (if fit !) .

Midfield will be an interesting battle .....Flanagan came be brilliant , as a FF or CHF ....but not at midfield ...... Id expect the game to pass him by from there ......Keenan can aswell be brilliant when he wants to be ....he needs to concentrate on playing football ....... would rather see P Barden at midfield with Sheridan kickouts he can pick and choose players and Barden run from there

No question on the quality of our FF line ...... if they get the right ball they will do damage ......

Hopefully we'll get through it ...playing at home is a major advantage though !!!

shark

Quote from: Longfordian on May 09, 2007, 02:55:16 PM
I agree Billy its our ability to defend v a FF line of Dolan and Two Glennons

David Glennon hasn't been on the Westmeath panel for quite a while.  Alan Mangan will be one of the corner forwards I would imagine.  I see it is being reported that Derek Heavins place at wing-back is under threat as he disobeyed managements orders by playing a club game on Sunday.  O'Fleartherta is ruthless when it comes to indicipline so I wouldn't be suprised if Heavin is left out.

Shamrock Shore

I have been assigned the armchair role for this one so I will relay to the lads in Pearse Park the views of the panel on the telly.

Shannonside will, no doubt, be coming live from a Roscommon training session in Dr. Hyde Park  :-\

tayto

Should be a cracker this one, the winners will rightly fancy their chances against Laois, Leinster is going to be very competitive this year.

Hardy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 09, 2007, 04:30:22 PM
Shannonside will, no doubt, be coming live from a Roscommon training session in Dr. Hyde Park

For lack of any alternative, I found myself listening to Shannonside on the web for a short while of the Meath-Roscommon Div. 2 final. In the name of the leppin divine funk, who is that commentator? This fella takes the whole packet of Marietta. Within two minutes I was taking back everything I ever said about Brian Carthy, Marty Morrissey, Ger Canning and even Mick Dunne. He managed to be breathless, enthusiastic, high-pitched, opinionated and incoherent all at once, without ever approaching intelligible. And that was before the throw in. Once the game started he might as well have been reciting the Koran in Portuguese and Urdu at the same time, at speed,  for all I could make out he was saying.

After a few minutes I found out TG4 was showing a delayed viewing (which turned out to be a partial delayed viewing) so I switched off and waited. But forfecksake who let yer man out?

Shamrock Shore

Hardy

That would be Willie Hegarty. He is as mad as a box of brushes. His cummints on the radio on the day Longford played Clare, Leitrim played Monaghan and Roscommon played Offaly were so funny I almost forgot the tension I was experiencing. He is a cross between Andy Gray hyping some auld shite Premiership match and every mad bollox you've ever met.

From The Western People from a while back:

Shannonside radio commentator Willie Hegarty has established a very loyal 'fan' base for his commentaries on football matches around the region. While people are often quoting Micheal O Muircheartaigh and other well known broadcasters, there is no doubt that Roscommon's own Willie comes up with some remarkable humourous gems when in full flight.
He brings excitement and entertainment to his match commentaries and it is the entertainment 'factor' that has won him a sizeable audience, especially among female listeners, who enjoy the off-beat comparisons that light up his match coverage.
If Willie ever gets a chance on RTE, he will be an instant 'hit' because he is original, passionate, and highly entertaining. A winning combination any day.

On another matter I see Blessed Luke Dempsey has gone in with the elbows on the Mayo/Offaly/Dublin windbag Tommy Lyons.

Lyons claimed recently that Dublin had an easy run in Leinster last year and also slammed Longford for the 'Offaly-ken Casey-dropped point' saga. Lyons claimed it was the lowpoint of the league and blamed Longford. Even though Longford were told by the GAC (or whatever they go by now the ZZZ or the ABC or the CCC) that they HAD to lodge a formal appeal or else they would be setting a precedent.

Lyons also said that the opening live TV game should not be Longford v Westmeath which, more or less means, unless you are in the top 12 go along to be fucked.

Clown  >:(

turk

Tommy Lyons set back Offaly football by about 15 years

Billys Boots

Maybe it was because WH ended his tenure as a supposed authority.  Gives morons a bad name.

Hardy, Willie is a staple component of life (sadly) in the life of a GAA fan in the midlands.  And you haven't even been introduced to Crayonman (and his trusty sidekick preCrayonman) yet!!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AN other

Luke should save his breath, I think most people realise that Tommy Lyons is a clueless gobshite...
If Heavin is having a bit of a falling out with O'Flaherta Kieran Gavin could well get a start in defence on Sunday.

Shamrock Shore

Does anyone have a good word for Tommy Lyons?

AZOffaly

QuoteTommy Lyons set back Offaly football by about 15 years

Turk, if Tommy Lyons set us back 15 years, and he took over in 1997, would that not be 1982?  :P

turk

No AZ - cos you have to factor in when he finished with Offaly - in reality we are at about 1991 levels now, and that is due to Lyons

Shamrock Shore

Ironically the Clonguish 1 has been dropped for Sunday's game after all the appeals (deja vue there) meant that he was free to play. Perhaps a lesson in humility being dished out to Mrs. Barden's youngest son by Dempsey and Rowley.

Billys Boots

QuotePerhaps a lesson in humility being dished out to Mrs. Barden's youngest son by Dempsey and Rowley.

I wish them luck.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...