Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Cluborcountywhynotboth

So tell me then why they only close (in most cases) for a handful of days? And in these days did everyone in all ten clubs get tested?? As I said if they really wanted to make a difference and really wanted to 'look out for their community' then they would have closed for 2 weeks (the advised isolation period) and asked every person in the club to be tested. But no they didn't, and why?? Because then they wouldn't have played championship. That's the bottom line, 3-5 days when most senior teams probably didn't even miss a training session is lip service and optics, nothing more.

oneclubonelife

I think if you dig deeper that the advice to the clubs was to play away/train away. The member/members of the clubs that were at the center of the scare and anybody who had close contact with them was to go and get tested and stay isolated until results came back. Anyone who had casual contact with the member with the suspected case was to carry on with their normal everyday activities. The Derry County board input was to send out a flow chart to the clubs showing the actions to be taken as advised by Croke Park. The clubs done what they were instructed to do with in guideline supplied

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Quote from: oneclubonelife on July 21, 2020, 10:45:30 PM
I think if you dig deeper that the advice to the clubs was to play away/train away. The member/members of the clubs that were at the center of the scare and anybody who had close contact with them was to go and get tested and stay isolated until results came back. Anyone who had casual contact with the member with the suspected case was to carry on with their normal everyday activities. The Derry County board input was to send out a flow chart to the clubs showing the actions to be taken as advised by Croke Park. The clubs done what they were instructed to do with in guideline supplied
So they did the bare minimum that was required by the GAA. Doesn't quiet scream 'looking out for their community' tho does it. Listen am not saying that clubs have done anything wrong (other than the two who wanted a friendly but that's just hearsay and I'll not be commenting on it again), on the contrary, doing anything is better than doing nothing. But IMO, and it's just my opinion, closing for 3/5 days was just to be seen to do something (or perhaps what they had to to keep the GAA happy) rather than actually wanting to make a real difference. Their actions aren't as altruistic as some posters are making out.   

restorepride

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on July 21, 2020, 11:29:41 PM
So they did the bare minimum that was required by the GAA. Doesn't quiet scream 'looking out for their community' tho does it. Listen am not saying that clubs have done anything wrong (other than the two who wanted a friendly but that's just hearsay and I'll not be commenting on it again), on the contrary, doing anything is better than doing nothing. But IMO, and it's just my opinion, closing for 3/5 days was just to be seen to do something (or perhaps what they had to to keep the GAA happy) rather than actually wanting to make a real difference. Their actions aren't as altruistic as some posters are making out.
The last time I heard such self-righteous arrogance was from the pulpit.  Now, he doesn't want to 'discuss' the rumours he started on this 'discussion' board!?  Too late for that.  However, to state that 10 of our clubs are selfish and only acted out of self-interest is insulting to all Derry GAA members.  Disgraceful.

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Quote from: restorepride on July 22, 2020, 10:03:16 AM
Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on July 21, 2020, 11:29:41 PM
The last time I heard such self-righteous arrogance was from the pulpit.  Now, he doesn't want to 'discuss' the rumours he started on this 'discussion' board!?  Too late for that.  However, to state that 10 of our clubs are selfish and only acted out of self-interest is insulting to all Derry GAA members.  Disgraceful.

I have no interest in animosity with anyone on a message board and I think you resulting to insults is totally uncalled for. The bottom line is I was given information from a very good source who I trust, and I passed it on for discussion. If you think it's bullshit then fine, that's you and everyone else's prerogative. Also some posters seem to think that by closing for 3 days that all 10 clubs should be roundly praised as the bastions of public health, and I've simply given my opinion that they did it to safe face and comply with GAA regulations as I believe real action would have been to close for 2 weeks and demand everyone gets tested.
And just to clarify, my issue isn't with the clubs here, every other club would have done the same, and they have fulfilled their obligations, my issue is with posters making them out to be all wonderful because they closed for 3 days. In my opinion that's not true.
Just because we are all gaels doesn't mean we have to blindly praise everything the GAA or a club do.

restorepride

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on July 18, 2020, 07:26:40 PM
Considering two of the clubs who have apparently shut down have phoned my own club looking for friendlies THIS WEEKEND, am not sure how sincere the announcements actually are. And if it was the case, how much will they know by Monday?? Obviously should a player actually test positive this will change but the announcements over the last few days in most cases were just to be seen to do something in my opinion.
The first sentence of your above post contains a statement re contact received by your club, not an opinion.  Can you verify that it is true and accurate?  If not, perhaps time to fully retract? No animosity (though some of the clubs you have cast aspersions on may not agree!), simply fact-finding with regard to your initial post.

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Quote from: restorepride on July 22, 2020, 12:46:28 PM
Considering two of the clubs who have apparently shut down have phoned my own club looking for friendlies THIS WEEKEND, am not sure how sincere the announcements actually are. And if it was the case, how much will they know by Monday?? Obviously should a player actually test positive this will change but the announcements over the last few days in most cases were just to be seen to do something in my opinion.
The first sentence of your above post contains a statement re contact received by your club, not an opinion.  Can you verify that it is true and accurate?  If not, perhaps time to fully retract? No animosity (though some of the clubs you have cast aspersions on may not agree!), simply fact-finding with regard to your initial post.
There are better ways of fact finding than accusing someone of self righteous arrogance simply because they have a differing opinion to yours.
As for the original post, it is a statement based on information I was given (the same as others who have said players got tested). I am not casting aspersions on all ten clubs as you say, but surely to call out the 2 clubs I was told about on an anonymous discussion board for an action that didn't actually happen in the end up (the matches I mean) would cause more harm than good? While I wholeheartedly believe the person who told me this, and they are well placed to know, whose to say the requests weren't made by a couple of rogue managers or selectors without the knowledge of the clubs, putting out the feelers as it were. Therefore I think it would serve no purpose to 'name and shame' the clubs as I have no information beyond a member of their clubs phoned a member of ours looking for a senior friendly last weekend. 

restorepride

Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on July 22, 2020, 01:43:49 PM

There are better ways of fact finding than accusing someone of self righteous arrogance simply because they have a differing opinion to yours.
As for the original post, it is a statement based on information I was given (the same as others who have said players got tested). I am not casting aspersions on all ten clubs as you say, but surely to call out the 2 clubs I was told about on an anonymous discussion board for an action that didn't actually happen in the end up (the matches I mean) would cause more harm than good? While I wholeheartedly believe the person who told me this, and they are well placed to know, whose to say the requests weren't made by a couple of rogue managers or selectors without the knowledge of the clubs, putting out the feelers as it were. Therefore I think it would serve no purpose to 'name and shame' the clubs as I have no information beyond a member of their clubs phoned a member of ours looking for a senior friendly last weekend.
You just keep digging!  Now it might have been rogue managers!!!!!!!!!!  The Lord appeared on to Mary and said "Any chance of a friendly?!!"  Ok ok, you win ... again.  You are right.  Fair play to ye!   Don't forget your shovel ...!  Enough said.  Good man Christy!

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Quote from: restorepride on July 22, 2020, 02:31:24 PM
Quote from: Cluborcountywhynotboth on July 22, 2020, 01:43:49 PM

You just keep digging!  Now it might have been rogue managers!!!!!!!!!!  The Lord appeared on to Mary and said "Any chance of a friendly?!!"  Ok ok, you win ... again.  You are right.  Fair play to ye!   Don't forget your shovel ...!  Enough said.  Good man Christy!
Do you understand the meaning of the words 'may have'. It also may have been the case that their whole club knew, only the people who made the call can answer that. But let me put it in plain English for you one last time so there is no confusion. I was (reliably in my opinion) informed that someone from two clubs phoned someone from our club asking a friendly last weekend. End of story. That's all I said in my first post and that's all I've reiterated since. The nature of these calls in terms of the knowledge of the club behind them is purely conjecture. If you believe what I've been told or not, I couldn't care less. But this is a discussion board and I thought the information was pertinent to the discussion that was raised.
Now why don't you answer my other point (Actually my main point as it was made on the back of the statement about requesting a friendly). Do you really believe that the clubs closing for 3/5 days and then opening up again (in most cases) really did so in order to benefit their community? Because I don't, I think they (as most clubs would) did the bare minimum to save face and adhere to obligations. And to say otherwise and make out they did so out of pure kindness of heart and moral or civic duty is naivety in the extreme (in my opinion).

Estimator

https://derrygaa.ie/wearederry-season-pass/

Derry GAA fans will be able to enjoy unprecedented coverage of the 2020 Club Championships from the comfort of their own homes this season, thanks to a new dedicated streaming platform being launched on DerryGAA.ie.

The new service, called #WeAreDerry, will livestream at least 10 games from our club Football and Hurling Championships, and will offer full deferred coverage of the majority of the remaining matches taking place in the Oak Leaf county in 2020.

With social distancing measures in place due to the Covid-19 pandemic, attendance at matches is likely to be severely restricted this summer. But for £30, Gaels in the county – and around the world – will be able to see nine live matches from the Derry Senior Football Championship: two group games, two last 16 matches, two quarter-finals, both semi-finals and the final. In addition, the finals of the Intermediate and Junior Football Championship and the county's Senior Hurling Championship showpiece will also be livestreamed.

CLICK TO ACCESS #WEAREDERRY
The first games to be streamed live on the new service will be Loup's clash with Bellaghy (this coming Saturday, August 1st) and the second round group game between Glen and Magherafelt, a repeat of last season's Derry SFC Final. On top of the impressive slate of live matches, full coverage of the majority of all other Championship games will be available to watch on the #WeAreDerry platform, on-demand, after they have taken place.

As an alternative to the full #WeAreDerry package, live games can be purchased individually for a cost of £5.

Derry GAA Chairperson Stephen Barker is confident that the new service will prove attractive to GAA fans both within and beyond the county:

"Our Championships in Derry are perennially among the most competitive anywhere in Ireland and our games regularly attract supporters from other counties across Ulster. Over 10,000 people saw Magherafelt win our Senior Football final in October 2019."

"As everyone continues to navigate their way through the Covid-19 crisis we feel it is important to ensure as many people as possible have access to our matches. Even in the most optimistic scenario, we know that social distancing measures will restrict the numbers of people who can physically go to games – and we are very aware that some of the most vulnerable members of our community will be shielding and completely unable to attend matches."

"Like every county across Ireland, our hurling and football championships are part of the rhythm of summer and autumn. Thanks to our new streaming service, supporters will still be able to see every important pass, block, point and goal that happens in Derry this summer. Streaming of live matches is a hot topic at present so the uptake for the upcoming set of games will determine whether or not it has a future for our club championships."

"We don't take our supporters for granted and we appreciate that their valued contribution to this innovative service will help us invest in facilities and GAA structures across Derry, enabling us to implement the improvements we hope to deliver in the years ahead."

Barker was also keen to point to the continued generous support of Derry GAA sponsors, despite a difficult 2020 for the business sector:

"Without the fantastic support of all our sponsors, especially through the most recent challenging months, it would be very difficult for us to take on these types of projects. We acknowledge the challenges some of these businesses face currently, yet despite that, they have continued to show enormous generosity to Derry GAA."

As a special introductory offer, a nine-month Season Pass subscription to the #WeAreDerry streaming platform will cost £30 (normally £5 per month). To subscribe, visit derrygaa.ie/watch
Ulster League Champions 2009

Taylor

£30 for all the games - great value.

Fair play

howlongref

On a side note can anyone on this board tell me who replaced Sean Curran, overseeing the referees this year.
Thanks in advance.

toby47

Any predictions for the weekends game?

The Loup  v  Bellaghy
Newbridge  v   Foreglen
Slaughtneil  v  Kilrea
Eoghan Rua  v  Lavey
Glen  v  Banagher
Magherafelt  v  Ballinderry
Ballinascreen  v  Claudy
Swatragh  v  Dungiven

Limavady  v  Glack
Glenullin  v  Steelstown
Faughanvale  v  Doire Trasna
Castledawson  v Slaughtmanus
Greenlough  v  Ballymaguigan

Craigbane  v  Magilligan
Desertmartin  v  Moneymore GAC

Also, Anyone know why Lissan have conceded their game at the weekend v Drumsurn? Or so it shows on the Derry website anyway.

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Quote from: toby47 on July 29, 2020, 08:29:26 AM
Any predictions for the weekends game?

The Loup  v  Bellaghy
Newbridgev   Foreglen
Slaughtneil  v  Kilrea
Eoghan Rua  v  Lavey
Glen  v  Banagher
Magherafelt  v  Ballinderry
Ballinascreen  v  Claudy
Swatragh  v  Dungiven

Limavady  v  Glack
Glenullin  v  Steelstown
Faughanvale  v  Doire Trasna
Castledawson  v Slaughtmanus
Greenlough  v  Ballymaguigan

Craigbane  v  Magilligan
Desertmartin  v  Moneymore GAC

Also, Anyone know why Lissan have conceded their game at the weekend v Drumsurn? Or so it shows on the Derry website anyway.

tonesfirstandlast

Who is responsible for giving that boy Quinn a whistle again.
He will never referee a Bellaghy game again