?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Derry Optimist

Derry Optimist

Apologies for gremlins hiccup in the earlier post! First of all well done to Derry for winning their first three games in this year's league.One can say with some justification mission so far accomplished.

However, with the exception of the last ten minutes yesterday, they really failed to penetrate the Waterford defence, albeit they had thirteen men behind the ball.It was only when Derry had two men sent off that they really took the game to Waterford and put in an impressive scoring stint.

One worrying aspect of all the performances this year is  that at least three of Derry's better performers have picked up yellow cards in the last three games that they have played.This is simply unacceptable as there is very often a thin line between victory and defeat.Those who were sent off were lucky that the other thirteen really played out of their skins in those vital last minutes. Hopefully the individual players and management will take the possible serious consequences of their hasty actions on board.

It was good to see Brendan Rogers back in action.Presumably Sean Francis Quinn and Terence O'Brien  and maybe Benny Heron will be available for consideration in the next game against Wicklow.

BackInTheGame

Is he Heron still part of the panel? I know he got married this weekend but I assumed he wasn't involved any more (just an assumption, no basis to it)

Wonder why we're getting yellow cards when the opposition aren't. I wouldn't look at that team and think it was a dirty side.

JoG2

Quote from: Derry Optimist on February 11, 2019, 02:39:29 PM
Apologies for gremlins hiccup in the earlier post! First of all well done to Derry for winning their first three games in this year's league.One can say with some justification mission so far accomplished.

However, with the exception of the last ten minutes yesterday, they really failed to penetrate the Waterford defence, albeit they had thirteen men behind the ball.It was only when Derry had two men sent off that they really took the game to Waterford and put in an impressive scoring stint.

One worrying aspect of all the performances this year is  that at least three of Derry's better performers have picked up yellow cards in the last three games that they have played.This is simply unacceptable as there is very often a thin line between victory and defeat.Those who were sent off were lucky that the other thirteen really played out of their skins in those vital last minutes. Hopefully the individual players and management will take the possible serious consequences of their hasty actions on board.

It was good to see Brendan Rogers back in action.Presumably Sean Francis Quinn and Terence O'Brien  and maybe Benny Heron will be available for consideration in the next game against Wicklow.

The line in bold re yesterday's game would apply more to the ref than the players !

markl121

Quote from: BackInTheGame on February 11, 2019, 02:54:15 PM
Is he Heron still part of the panel? I know he got married this weekend but I assumed he wasn't involved any more (just an assumption, no basis to it)

Wonder why we're getting yellow cards when the opposition aren't. I wouldn't look at that team and think it was a dirty side.
I thought I read somewhere he had quit derry or retired or something there last year?

JohnDenver

I thought Benny Heron was still part of the setup, and assume he will rejoin after the wedding / honeymoon is over.

Also was it not reported last week Terence O'Brien has left the panel, along with McKinless?

BackInTheGame

Didn't hear about O'Brien leaving, just McKinless. Bit of a shame if he's gone too, handy player.

Leaveherlong

On the issue of players missing - I know this was probably covered before - but of last years three county champions (Coleraine, Banagher and Limavady) are there two players on the county panel? Maybe others are injured just now.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Leaveherlong on February 12, 2019, 01:09:07 PM
On the issue of players missing - I know this was probably covered before - but of last years three county champions (Coleraine, Banagher and Limavady) are there two players on the county panel? Maybe others are injured just now.
Liam McGoldrick and Mooney were to be away travelling. Other Coleraine players declined invites. Brian Og McGilligan from Banagher, not sure if any others are involved? Maybe Hagan? Limavady keeper is the only one who should be near the county panel.

JoG2

Quote from: oakleaflad on February 12, 2019, 01:20:31 PM
Quote from: Leaveherlong on February 12, 2019, 01:09:07 PM
Liam McGoldrick and Mooney were to be away travelling. Other Coleraine players declined invites. Brian Og McGilligan from Banagher, not sure if any others are involved? Maybe Hagan? Limavady keeper is the only one who should be near the county panel.

L McGoldrick will play some part this year, Mooney and Co McGoldrick away. C Mullan I'm not sure about. Hagan is either travelling or working, cannot remember from an earlier Derry Post article. Re Limavady, Brown with the AFL, Hartin still involved. Though I'd maybe have given R King a rattle up in Owenbeg to see how he'd progress in that environment over a period of time.

JoG2

Heard Ogra won't be playing in the league this coming season. Sad to hear, some clubs getting it very tight at the minute.

toby47

Quote from: JoG2 on February 12, 2019, 08:55:52 PM
Heard Ogra won't be playing in the league this coming season. Sad to hear, some clubs getting it very tight at the minute.

Yeah definitely sad to hear. Not good to see a club go that way and hopefully no more follow suit.

League fixtures released this morning to club secretaries.

oakleaflad

Quote from: oakleaflad on December 05, 2018, 03:03:48 PM
I've mentioned that before. Ardmore, Sean Dolans, Doire Colmcille and Ogra Colmcille will take hammerings from the teams coming down and could have the opposite effect than desired. You would worry for the future of one or two of those clubs senior teams.
[/quote]
I've mentioned it before but I really think the restructuring of the league was a bad idea (although it had good intentions). It wouldn't surprise me if Ardmore followed Ogra in the fairly recent future and that would be a shame. I see Ogra are still going to try to field in Junior Championship. What will their players do for the rest of the season though? Will some look to play elsewhere? It really is very sad.

thepundit

Surely the county board have to step in somewhere in the Ogra situation? Im unsure in the current situation but they would have at least 8-10 players still registered to the club in their 20s to early 30s. Does these players go a full year without football then to play 1 and if lucky 2 games of championship football? I know in underage players can transfer to another club if their own club cant provide football for them at a certain age group. However, i dont know if this is possible in Senior football. Sad situation for Ogra as they have worked hard as a club to survive until now with extremely well kept facilities and being able to get a team gathered until this season with such a small catchment area. I just hope that the players are able to get playing league football in some way.