Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

36-03-09

Don't think we can give too much stick to a ref that gave us two penalties. He seemed fairly down the line with his calls, although Antrim were doing a lot of niggling off the ball that I don't think he saw the half of.

BackInTheGame

Quote from: 36-03-09 on January 27, 2019, 04:20:35 PM
Don't think we can give too much stick to a ref that gave us two penalties. He seemed fairly down the line with his calls, although Antrim were doing a lot of niggling off the ball that I don't think he saw the half of.
Going to have to agree to disagree unfortunately. A different ref would have sent several Antrim men to the line, either black or red cards.

I have no idea how Thomas Mallon was blown up for overcarrying when he was being tackled in the small square.

36-03-09

That was an odd call (and God knows I defend postie on here) but he seemed sharp on the overcarryng generally. I think the linesmen let the ref down. Too many antrim players repeatedly being asked not to act the maggot rather than getting the ref to book then.

Not sure what to make of the result. Gut reaction is that it's not a good sign to have been pushed so close by Antrim, but on the other hand, it's nice to be on the winning end of a close game. Some experience on seeing a tight game out is good.

Wildweasel74

Misjudged the strength of the wind and needed to be further ahead at halftime. Nearly paid for it at the end! I overall very poor game

theticklemister

Quote from: 36-03-09 on January 27, 2019, 05:08:37 PM
That was an odd call (and God knows I defend postie on here) but he seemed sharp on the overcarryng generally. I think the linesmen let the ref down. Too many antrim players repeatedly being asked not to act the maggot rather than getting the ref to book then.

Not sure what to make of the result. Gut reaction is that it's not a good sign to have been pushed so close by Antrim, but on the other hand, it's nice to be on the winning end of a close game. Some experience on seeing a tight game out is good.

Hardstation gonna know your fcuk in for that comment

AtticusFinch

Not sure how / why the ref getting so much grief ... if I was an Antrim fan I'd have a few causes for complaint.

McAtamney went right into the back of an antrim player at the death. It was a free all day long and that would have been the leveller.

10 mins prior to that an antrim effort at a point came back off the post and it looked like it was sitting up perfectly for an Antrim man to tap in. Thankfully the ref and linesman didn't spot the Derry man tugging at his shirt preventing him from converting.

Blaming the ref just comes across as Derry fans having that sense of entitlement that they shouldn't be in division 4 and that they should be beating antrim comfortably.   The reality is Derry only have themselves to blame for the result being as close as it was. Derry had a huge wind in the 1st half and didn't capitalise on that. Even going in at half time with a 5 point margin it was looking like it could be a close game.  When antrim got the opening two points of the 2nd half you knew it was game on.

McFaul had a superb game he took some great scores and showed real leadership when Derry under the cosh a bit in the second half. He crucially showed great discipline throughout.  He got a yellow card in the first half and Antrim players on a few occasions tried to provoke him into obtaining another one !  One of the occasions was punished by a yellow card in fairness.

Taking the positives out of that result. Hopefully it gives Derry the wake up call that they might have needed.  They are not entitled to a Division 4 final spot at the end of March and will have to earn the right to be there.  The way the fixtures have worked out means they have a great chance of getting there.  The only remaining away games are Limerick & Waterford and crucially they have Leitrim at home.

Here is hoping some pesky ref doesn't deny Derry promotion out of Division 4 ....

JoG2

Well that was nervy enough day. The last 10 odd minutes was a fair old roller-coaster. Much like Castlebar last night the conditions ruined the game as a spectacle. Atticus, 'sense of entitlement', do us a favour, jesus. Sorry but you're way off the mark with the ref. Pains me to complain about an official (too much!) , but he was absolutely brutal today. 2 nailed on penalties and a nailed on 3rd that wasn't given in the 2nd half. Antrim constantly holding the hand in the tackle with another couple of men battering at the man  in possession, result? A free for over carrying again and again again. Woeful decision after woeful decision. Enda Lynn taken out time and time again. The Postie incident. Did Antrim no 8 (was trying to kill dead things the whole match) even get a ticking or a yellow?

Anyway 2 points banked and we'll push on.

JoG2

PS: the McAtamney incident at the end (for clarification) . I watched the last 10 mins in the clubhouse upstairs and was looking right down on it. Big Conor never laid a hand on your man and he planted both feet and fell forward looking to buy the free. The ref was standing a few feet away and waved the Antrim man up. I was standing at the windows with about 15 Antrim folk, none shouting for a free.

AtticusFinch

mcAtamney incident took place right in front of me. Antrim people (and there weren't many) were certainly complaining.  More significantly a Derry fan who had spent most of the second half shouting abuse at the ref admitted it was a free.

The postie decision for overcarrying was a strange one alright ...   That reminds me that Derry got out of jail from one short kick out that could have resulted in a lot more damage, thankfully it was returned straight back to to postie.

My point is while ref wasn't perfect don't think he was to blame at all for the result being close. In a nutshell I'd put that down to Derry not being clinical enough in the first half and Antrim playing well themselves.

P.S don't blame you for going into the clubhouse 2nd half ! It was baltic.

JoG2

Definitely not blaming the ref (though it may have sounded like it right enough) , just pointing out he's had better days (I hope)! Our inability, which has haunted Derry teams for a long time, to see out games, poor decision making and as you say, not being clinical enough allowed Antrim to claw it back to a one point game. Very cold surely but the hail stones stayed away pretty much!
No8, big McAtamney had a couple of run ins with.. I'm 99% sure he was wearing 8, maybe 18 as the eyeballs may have frozen over!

restorepride

Quote from: toby47 on January 26, 2019, 12:50:37 PM
Quote from: restorepride on January 23, 2019, 11:59:38 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 23, 2019, 03:24:54 PM
Thanks seafoid.

I would expect 10 or so points in it.
Now there is confidence for you!  Based on any recent evidence? Antrim will fancy their chances and rightly so.

I'm not sure they do fancy their chances
What does Toby think now?

restorepride

Quote from: JoG2 on January 27, 2019, 07:48:47 PM
PS: the McAtamney incident at the end (for clarification) . I watched the last 10 mins in the clubhouse upstairs and was looking right down on it. Big Conor never laid a hand on your man and he planted both feet and fell forward looking to buy the free. The ref was standing a few feet away and waved the Antrim man up. I was standing at the windows with about 15 Antrim folk, none shouting for a free.
100% correct, one the ref got right. Derry are in the correct division. Ref was also Division 4 standard. Lynn, McGuigan and McFaul were taken out off the ball the whole game. In fact Derry were physically dominated throughout. The ref and linesmen didn't stand up to the bullying and neither did the majority of Derry players. Underage players know that with time up, a penalty, last minute and level, you tap it over the bar.  You really would question the wit of some very experienced players today, never mind the management.

tbrick18

Didn't make the game, Sunday's are underage training days with 3 different age groups 😳

We are a div 4 standard side, with management to match.
We can have no complaints with being run close by Antrim, as we are two teams at the same level IMO.
We have no guarantee of promotion as I beleive we could get beat by any of the sides in the division.

For those at the game, how did chrissy do at CHB?

Glenman93

Quote from: restorepride on January 27, 2019, 11:18:03 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 27, 2019, 07:48:47 PM
100% correct, one the ref got right. Derry are in the correct division. Ref was also Division 4 standard. Lynn, McGuigan and McFaul were taken out off the ball the whole game. In fact Derry were physically dominated throughout. The ref and linesmen didn't stand up to the bullying and neither did the majority of Derry players. Underage players know that with time up, a penalty, last minute and level, you tap it over the bar.  You really would question the wit of some very experienced players today, never mind the management.

From the time the penalty was hit the ref played 4 mins and 10 seconds. That means there was at least 5 mins in total from when it was awarded. Stop telling lies. Get your facts right. You don't opt for a point with 5 mins left.

BackInTheGame

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 28, 2019, 07:42:34 AM
Didn't make the game, Sunday's are underage training days with 3 different age groups 😳

We are a div 4 standard side, with management to match.
We can have no complaints with being run close by Antrim, as we are two teams at the same level IMO.
We have no guarantee of promotion as I beleive we could get beat by any of the sides in the division.

For those at the game, how did chrissy do at CHB?
He was decent. Kept Fitzpatrick relatively quiet. In fact Fitzpatrick should have been sent off for choking Chrissie on the ground (literally 10 yards away from the linesman, who was looking right at it). Or maybe I just have a sense of entitlement or something.