10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

toby47

Quote from: Waataboutyee on October 16, 2018, 08:32:21 AM
Championship Final Week  :)
Whats the predictions?
Will the experience of Coleraine see them over the line?
Will Brennan and Downey outfox Sean McGoldrick?

Coleraine by 4 for me

restorepride

Quote from: toby47 on October 16, 2018, 04:14:28 PM
Whats the predictions?

Coleraine by 4 for me
Will be close enough as Colerine tend not to score heavily.  Mobility and ball retention better than Lavey's and have the experience. Lavey will be really up for it and if they get get close enough to make physical presence count, as they did against Glen, then you never know?! 1 point game or draw for me!

theticklemister

Great day of football on Sunday.

U-21s with us and Magherafelt at 12

Then reserve final after at two and then county final at 3:30. Looking forward to coming home for it.

Haven't seen Lavey play in many a year

JoG2

Quote from: theticklemister on October 16, 2018, 06:38:15 PM

Then reserve final after at two and then county final at 3:30. Looking forward to coming home for it.

Indeed, Sat also, double header @ Owenbeg, Wolfhounds and Banagher

theticklemister

Quote from: JoG2 on October 16, 2018, 08:41:53 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on October 16, 2018, 06:38:15 PM

Indeed, Sat also, double header @ Owenbeg, Wolfhounds and Banagher

I'll be on boat!

JoG2

Whats the predictions?

Were originally I thought Coleraine would when this match by a couple of points, I'm starting to swing the other way and think Lavey could very well win this game by the bare minimum. Will O'Boyle start? I think he will and will score a couple of goals which will be the difference. The only time Coleraine looked under pressure in the semi was when the high ball went in. In Toner and McGill they have maybe the 2 standouts this year.

Lavey by 1

toby47

Sean Leo & James Kielt have retired. Mark Lynch to maybe follow suit & Kevin Johnston spending the year in Australia travelling.

Not the best start to the year.

Derry Optimist

Sorry to hear that Derry have just lost that least three, if not four, of their leading players for the 2019 County season. Apparently, on average, almost all of the counties, except the top four or five, lost at least eight of their match day squads last year.

However in Derry's case it was much worse than that as in addition to a variety of player based decisions Management magnified the problem by not picking at least four players who should have been certainties on the panel and then prevented  two others from playing in the whole league programme when they heard that these two players would be travelling during the summer.

The commitment for modern day players is just too much when there is little hope of any success.This all leads to an urgent need for the introduction of a proper tiered,properly marketed championship structure where all counties can have a more realistic chance of some meaningful silverware.

Hopefully management will see the error of their ways last year and ensure that all of the remaining best players in the County are picked and available for all competitive matches in 2019.

Josey Wales

Quote from: Derry Optimist on October 18, 2018, 05:04:04 PM
Sorry to hear that Derry have just lost that least three, if not four, of their leading players for the 2019 County season. Apparently, on average, almost all of the counties, except the top four or five, lost at least eight of their match day squads last year.

However in Derry's case it was much worse than that as in addition to a variety of player based decisions Management magnified the problem by not picking at least four players who should have been certainties on the panel and then prevented  two others from playing in the whole league programme when they heard that these two players would be travelling during the summer.

The commitment for modern day players is just too much when there is little hope of any success.This all leads to an urgent need for the introduction of a proper tiered,properly marketed championship structure where all counties can have a more realistic chance of some meaningful silverware.

Hopefully management will see the error of their ways last year and ensure that all of the remaining best players in the County are picked and available for all competitive matches in 2019.

Some good points.  Though i would go back to straight knockout. 
The Backdoor only suits the bigger counties, in that they can take the risk of putting mammoth efforts in every year and dont really run the risk of being knocked out over two games.  In a 1 off game everyone has a fighting chance. Few big scalps every year, big teams might rethink their approach and players their own buy in.  I know this will never happen mind, given the money the GAA pocket.

JoG2

Quote from: Josey Wales on October 18, 2018, 05:39:31 PM
Quote from: Derry Optimist on October 18, 2018, 05:04:04 PM

Some good points.  Though i would go back to straight knockout. 
The Backdoor only suits the bigger counties, in that they can take the risk of putting mammoth efforts in every year and dont really run the risk of being knocked out over two games.  In a 1 off game everyone has a fighting chance. Few big scalps every year, big teams might rethink their approach and players their own buy in.  I know this will never happen mind, given the money the GAA pocket.

I'd probably agree, though we've had some great adventures in the qualifiers down through the years. The commitment levels are ridiculous

lenny

Quote from: toby47 on October 18, 2018, 10:28:34 AM
Sean Leo & James Kielt have retired. Mark Lynch to maybe follow suit & Kevin Johnston spending the year in Australia travelling.

Not the best start to the year.

3 good servants there who are coming to the end of their careers and it's doubtful if they would be starting players next season. At their age they probably don't want to put in that kind of effort just to be squad players. Johnston is a capable player also who will hopefully be back in derry colours the season after next.

Derry Optimist

Hopefully, Lenny, your two clubmen who were not selected this year by management along with Ryan Bell  will be fit and back in Derry colours in 2019.An injury free Danny Heavron would be a huge boost to the squad as would Ryan Bell.Will never forget his outstanding display in the Qualifiers against Mayo in Castlebar last year.

I heard rumours that two other leading players are considering going abroad next year.Let us hope that is not the case as we need all our best players available and selected more than ever in order to build a coherent winning momentum albeit in Division Four.

BackInTheGame

It's a shame that the lads have retired but I wish them all the best, they'll be missed. I kind of hope Lynch retires too - still one of our best players in the county but that man doesn't owe Derry a single thing. He has no need to be traipsing up and down the country playing division 4 football at his age.

Time for some of the younger boys to step up. I am still convinced that we've got the makings of a decent side. I worry about our physicality in defence but we've an opportunity now to get a squad together for the league and to potentially head into the Tyrone game on a winning run. If we're beat at that stage, it is what it is.

lenny

Quote from: Derry Optimist on October 18, 2018, 10:32:11 PM
Hopefully, Lenny, your two clubmen who were not selected this year by management along with Ryan Bell  will be fit and back in Derry colours in 2019.An injury free Danny Heavron would be a huge boost to the squad as would Ryan Bell.Will never forget his outstanding display in the Qualifiers against Mayo in Castlebar last year.

I heard rumours that two other leading players are considering going abroad next year.Let us hope that is not the case as we need all our best players available and selected more than ever in order to build a coherent winning momentum albeit in Division Four.

Hopefully Danny will be back and fit and Emmett deserves a chance also. It's hard to blame young lads from taking a break to go travelling but they need to be aware it's a short career also and they have to give it everything when they get the opportunity.

Glenman93

It looks like Gareth McKinless could be back for Derry too! Heard his suspension in the reserves was thrown out after an appeal.  Good deal for the county board. We will forget about all the kicking you do and sending offs you have and let  you play in a meaningless reserve championship final and you play for Derry next year. "Deal"