?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Link

Quote from: shawshank on May 16, 2018, 12:54:07 PM
As a result of county football the county board have been forced to reduce the senior league and introduce subsidiary compos to give players games in the 8/9 week period of no league football. I am interested to hear what posters thoughts onare Lavey pulling out on block of the competitions that have been put in place for teams over the next 8/9 weeks.  I would like to know why they have done this, as without knowing their rationale its looks so disrespectful to clubs and the competitions the county board have provided.

In hindsight, i think planning reserve games for this period was a mistake. Take out county footballers/hurlers, dual players and older/injured players having a rest, I feel it would have been a good idea to just have a senior competition during this period.

Lavey have set the precedent that will most likely turn a potentially good competition for younger senior players/fringe players/good reserves into a farce. I read on twitter that there is a £300 fine for not fielding in an adult game. Will lavey be stung with a £2,100 fine?

I can't see the benefit in not playing these games. Surely with their good u21 team from last year they have loads of numbers to field in these games.

JoG2

Strange one from Lavey, you put in a pre season, then stop playing matches for 2 months. Surely the players want to play games? Do they add a 3rd training session / week? Not much craic for the players. I'm sure challenge games will be arranged, but opposition will be hard sought at this time of the year
If the same structures continue next year, maybe not run with the the reserves, allowing teams to field mixed senior /reserves

Jimmy

There will be less pressure to get games played next year as well. 4 less league games and 2 less cup games will allow for a weeks break between the competitions and hopefully eliminate the need for mid week games. The 3 games in the space of 7 days before the break was tough going.

toby47

Quote from: JoG2 on May 16, 2018, 01:26:28 PM
Strange one from Lavey, you put in a pre season, then stop playing matches for 2 months. Surely the players want to play games? Do they add a 3rd training session / week? Not much craic for the players. I'm sure challenge games will be arranged, but opposition will be hard sought at this time of the year
If the same structures continue next year, maybe not run with the the reserves, allowing teams to field mixed senior /reserves

I would say they have marked this period with a break in the league calendar as a stage where players can take a break or a holiday (maybe weekends off but still training 2 nights in the week) and they have decided to not field for the League Cup matches. Instead maybe taking a full 2 week break and perhaps over the next 6 weeks have arranged 2/3 decent challenge games that they think will benefit their senior team more. That's just a guess tho.

Does anyone know how these league cups are working? Is each group a separate competition or do the two group winners play in a final?

restorepride

As a result of county football the county board have been forced to reduce the senior league and introduce subsidiary compos to give players games in the 8/9 week period of no league football. I am interested to hear what posters thoughts onare Lavey pulling out on block of the competitions that have been put in place for teams over the next 8/9 weeks.  I would like to know why they have done this, as without knowing their rationale its looks so disrespectful to clubs and the competitions the county board have provided.
Good question.  It does not fit with the "players want more games" theory.

Josey Wales

Quote from: restorepride on May 16, 2018, 08:58:22 PM
I think you missed out one of two words there 'meaningful/meaningless'.  The former reduced by 4 from next season.  Barker can try to fool people all he likes, lets call it what it is, a 9 week break to suit the county team and to cram half a season into 4 weeks prior.

JoG2

Quote from: Josey Wales on May 17, 2018, 09:21:00 AM
I think you missed out one of two words there 'meaningful/meaningless'.  The former reduced by 4 from next season.  Barker can try to fool people all he likes, lets call it what it is, a 9 week break to suit the county team and to cram half a season into 4 weeks prior.

Sure were we not reared on the view that championship fixtures were the only meaningful games? And for half the league teams, that's 1 match per year! Stephen Barker is trying to work around the constraints of the club / county overlap. I wouldn't envy his job.
On paper, clubs have their county men when needed, and they'll also have matches arranged during the break. I've said before, the reserves mid-season cup should be scrapped for next year and run with 1 team / club.
What we've had this year (won't happen every year) is meaningful league matches in April / May, the leagues of Kilrea and 'Screen playing for their div 1 survival, indeed there's been management changes in Div 1 and Div 2 already due to the heat of relegation.   
The sooner there's shortened defined county season , finishing end of July, then club fixtures from then on 'til the October championship final the better.

What would your solution be Josey?

Josey Wales

Quote from: JoG2 on May 17, 2018, 09:50:34 AM

Sure were we not reared on the view that championship fixtures were the only meaningful games? And for half the league teams, that's 1 match per year! Stephen Barker is trying to work around the constraints of the club / county overlap. I wouldn't envy his job.
On paper, clubs have their county men when needed, and they'll also have matches arranged during the break. I've said before, the reserves mid-season cup should be scrapped for next year and run with 1 team / club.
What we've had this year (won't happen every year) is meaningful league matches in April / May, the leagues of Kilrea and 'Screen playing for their div 1 survival, indeed there's been management changes in Div 1 and Div 2 already due to the heat of relegation.   
The sooner there's shortened defined county season , finishing end of July, then club fixtures from then on 'til the October championship final the better.

No club games 13 days before a Senior county game.  With this Super 8, Derry unfortunitley will never be able to compete again at the top level, given the money that will be involved and size of our County

JoG2

Quote from: Josey Wales on May 17, 2018, 10:06:59 AM

No club games 13 days before a Senior county game.  With this Super 8, Derry unfortunitley will never be able to compete again at the top level, given the money that will be involved and size of our County

Never is a biggin ! We'll be back in the top 8 at some stage 

Josey Wales

Quote from: JoG2 on May 17, 2018, 10:11:30 AM
Quote from: Josey Wales on May 17, 2018, 10:06:59 AM

Never is a biggin ! We'll be back in the top 8 at some stage

We may well be for a couple of the early years, as Derry has a good bit of young talent coming through.  In the long term, where the big counties will eventually becoming professional (perhaps not on paper), we won't have a hope.  The big 8 will gradually pull away.  There will be 'B' and 'C' championships etc which won't inspire anyone. Even as a club man first, I genuinely hope I'm wrong.

Real Talk

Agree with that, Stephen Barker is a very hard working volunteer trying to give all club players a chance within a limited time frame.  He is also committed to the success of the full range of County Football and Hurling teams.  I'd say we have little idea of how much that takes up of his time.  As for Lavey I would doubt if they haven't thought out why they have made that decision , they are a very shrewd outfit who will work with what,s best for them. 

It's all is very much a 'trial run' for the years ahead.

You, Yew and Ewe

Fair play to Stephen Barker, what he is doing is looking after the non-county players.  Across the leagues, senior and reserve, County Derry has 68 teams, that equates to 1,020 players (more if you count subs).  Say 30 are in the county set-up, then there are roughly 1,000 players looking to play football when just 30 are unavailable due to county commitments.

At the end of the day I'm sure that players want to play, they're busting a gut training since January/February, especially the reserve player who is playing for the love of the game, the camaraderie and the pride in the parish, knowing he's not likely to get near the senior team (or maybe doesn't want to be on it). 

The competitions provided to the teams should be respected and I can't understand the decision Lavey made.  Granted seven games might be excessive during a nine week mid-league break, so I'd suggest in the 12 team leagues next year there are:
- a week break after the last league game
- four groups of three playing a round-robin, with the winners playing in the semis before a final.
- second placed teams play in their semis and final, as would the third placed teams
- have a play off for the losing semi-finalists
- a total of four games played over nine weeks
- a free weekend every other week (i.e. one game per fortnight)
- make the competitions 13-a-side to allow both seniors and reserves a better chance of fielding.

Just a thought.

On a side note the intensity of the seven early league games was great viewing and should be continued.

restorepride

I think I didn't.  Please tell the board what is your definition of a "meaningless" game?

Wildweasel74

Minirs going very good! Playing the opposite style of play that the manager was maybe renowed for!@

Squareball71

Congratulations to the Minors today. Another great second half performance.

Was at Healy Park today. I fear it could be a long time before we hit the heady standards of these 2 counties.