Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

BackInTheGame

I always enjoyed championship games in Bellaghy, to be fair.  And I need an excuse to visit The Taphouse...

Anyway, regarding the game, it was a team of good individuals versus a good team (I am not denigrating the Convent - they have some damn fine footballers too, there's no obvious weak spots on that team, just agreeing with others that they were better coached and had a gameplan)

St Pat's defence was woeful, the forwards did reasonable damage for a while but started going for goals far too early (trying all sorts of nonsense with 10 mins left and a man up, if they'd kicked 3 or 4 easy enough points who knows what would have happened). The McWilliams fella at full forward is one of the most talented forwards you'll see but I was a bit concerned at how he reacted when the chips were down, he lost the temper a bit.

McAtamney was an absolute beast in the middle. And he needed to be, because the Convent keeper has a bigger kickout than 95% of the senior keepers in the county.

Link

I thought mcwilliams was unlucky not to win two penalties.
1st half after taking on 2 men along the line i thought he was fouled.
2nd half, ball was on the deck inside the box, looked like he got a toe to the ball then was floored.

St Pat's a bit naive pushing up so early in the 2nd half. I think it as the 4th goal - came from a long kick out which by passed the midfield, straight to quinn who outpaced his man and gave a simple lay off. If half back line had of stayed, no goal.

BackInTheGame

Quote from: Link on February 26, 2018, 11:58:49 AM
I thought mcwilliams was unlucky not to win two penalties.
1st half after taking on 2 men along the line i thought he was fouled.
2nd half, ball was on the deck inside the box, looked like he got a toe to the ball then was floored.

St Pat's a bit naive pushing up so early in the 2nd half. I think it as the 4th goal - came from a long kick out which by passed the midfield, straight to quinn who outpaced his man and gave a simple lay off. If half back line had of stayed, no goal.
I do agree - he got some rough treatment second half. I was just hoping he'd be the sort to not let it get to him but to spur him on (it's expecting a lot from a young fella, to be fair).

Serious skill though. Happy to strike with either foot, too.

Rawhide

St pats were disappointing yesterday, poorly coached with the talent they had on show. The Covent on the other hand were well drilled. However it is funny how simple things that you can't plan on turned the gam. The first two goals The Convent got were just speculative balls in, resulted in two goals and in truth shaped the game. St Pats half back line were so laboured in their running. Mc Shane who played at whb for Derry minors totally wasted at corner back. The Convent have cracking pacey forwards. Best team won. Serious crowd at a great venue.

Derry seniors are a car crash and the management team is so far out of their depth. Certainly our team is struggling, however with the players ignored and not selected, its self inflicted. Had serious questions following the minor game V Sligo. We are in a bad place and its hard to see a light.
cccc is a true supporter lol

tonesfirstandlast

Agree with most things you say there Rawhide. But when I looked at the programme and saw that the spine of the team were all from Swatragh and Glen, I thought St. Mary's have a chance here.
It's strange that we never got one decent manager or coach out of that 93 team

Keyser soze

About 10 of the St Pat's subs in a circle doing keepy-uppy at halftime. Embarrassing, but emblematic of the complete lack of discipline in their approach to the game. Can only imagine how Big Adrian would have reacted to that type of nonsense.

Flanker

Quote from: Keyser soze on February 26, 2018, 02:33:30 PM
About 10 of the St Pat's subs in a circle doing keepy-uppy at halftime. Embarrassing, but emblematic of the complete lack of discipline in their approach to the game. Can only imagine how Big Adrian would have reacted to that type of nonsense.

Was a bit embarrasing alright  and some of the keepy-uppy guys were brought on. I know both schools carry big squads but i would have though you would want at least yout 5-6 go to subs in at half time to reinforce the game plan when playing into the wind in the second half and behind on the scoreboard.   

theticklemister

Nobody could do a half-time show like the lads from  St. Columbs  from '95-'02

Kickham csc

Quote from: Keyser soze on February 26, 2018, 02:33:30 PM

I can  tell you.

In the build up to a final, we had just finished the warm up and we were called into the middle by Big A. EO'K comes jogging in, juggling the ball from the corner, quite impressive, ball doesn't hit the ground. A couple of the lads give EO'K a slap on the back and Big Aidy jumps in with something along the lines of "your playing crap at the moment, I'd thought you should be concentrating on catching the ball rather than messing about". This comment was followed with a repeat of the warm up only at full speed for another 15 mins (3 lads either side of the field, ball is drilled and the first lad comes out full speed to catch and then repeat)

He would have gone mental if he had saw the subs at half time. In saying that, Convery, Keilt, Hughes, Hutch, et al wouldn't have accepted it either

Galer

Dont know why your all so downhearted,senior team mightnt be going well  but the schools are flying which i would think means a serious senior team to come.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on February 26, 2018, 01:34:04 PM
Agree with most things you say there Rawhide. But when I looked at the programme and saw that the spine of the team were all from Swatragh and Glen, I thought St. Mary's have a chance here.
It's strange that we never got one decent manager or coach out of that 93 team

Not sure what your point is, but exactly the same number of Swatragh men started the last time Maghera won in 2016.

Bellaghy not a bad wee neutral ground for medium sized crowds if it's a dry day.

lenny

Quote from: Galer on February 26, 2018, 06:37:10 PM
Dont know why your all so downhearted,senior team mightnt be going well  but the schools are flying which i would think means a serious senior team to come.

Maghera won the hogan in 2013 I think. Those lads should all be 22 or 23 now and coming near their peak. How many are on the county panel at the moment? Danny tallon was on that team I think and niall toner also. I've probably missed a couple more who are currently involved but was wondering if we could maybe have a couple more from that team involved now.

braveheart

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on February 26, 2018, 10:51:22 AM
Quote from: DERRYSFINEST on February 25, 2018, 09:54:10 PM
Everyone from Bellaghy with a social media account boasting about hosting a bloody colleges match. What will they be like if they ever win another championship?  ::) A wee  bit embarrassing

We put on a show young man. We were the talk of Ulster last night on how to stage big games.
Some club. The next instalment of championships are about to roll.
Bring the county games to Bellaghy
LOL. This time last year tfal was boasting about the glorious youth coming through in Bellaghy and after the embarrassment of the loss to Draperstown in the minor final all they can celebrate is a big crowd at a schools game. How the mighty have fallen LOL

Josey Wales

Quote from: theticklemister on February 25, 2018, 06:46:53 PM
Quote from: braveheart on February 25, 2018, 05:19:42 PM
3271 hungry,deprived Gaa Football supporters in the south derry club of Bellaghy today for a school Game. 570 in Celtic park last week for a county double header.

Yip. Youse south Derry wans need to have a look st yourself

570 at a double header.  30 per panel including management team * 2.   
Given each player would probably have 6-7 family/friends there to watch them.
60 * 7 = 420

So 150 non related spectators to either of the teams.  Looks to me like Derry City ones wont even go out the front door to support a team.

Its time to stop this 30 year experiment and pull down the white elephant that is Celtic Park.  Its just unfortunate that the County board did not have the foresight to sell Celtic Park to the Derry City Council.  The council could have used it as the new Brandywell and saved them redeveloping the old one.  It would then have had a few thousand of a crowd in it every week.

TheImpactCode

Why are the games not being played at Owenbeg.