?

?
10 (47.6%)
?
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

restorepride

Quote from: bannside on February 24, 2018, 10:01:42 PM
Who are the strongest midfield pairing in Ulster?
Good question! Not anyone involved in another McErlain disaster. Lambs to the slaughter. Is he naive  or just thran?  1-8 to no score, two points from play in the whole match. Young players getting their morale destroyed and facing in to Division 4.  I doubted those who thought he would be out of his depth but it is becoming a real possibility.

bannside

Naive not good. Thran also not good. Has he managed a div one club team, even?  I don't blame anyone for harbouring the ambition to manage their county but....this appointment is starting to look like a massive punt that is going awry.

I don't blame the lad for wanting it. The blame lies entirely with those who appointed  such a blatent off the wall candidate. Big big difference between minors and seniors.

BackInTheGame

It's tough going but this was always going to be a project and not a quick-fix.  As rubbish as the first half sounded on the commentary, the second half showed fight if nothing else.

Very, very young and inexperienced squad. The Slaughtneil boys will be a big plus if the expected lads decide to make themselves available. Chrissy and Rogers transform that defence instantly, and by a huge amount, in addition to the other players they have who would make that squad on ability.

I thought it was too soon to be giving that job to McErlain but he has it now and I think we have to give him 3 years and see how it goes. I don't agree with some of his player selections (and, probably more so, de-selections) on this panel, but I'm assuming he has a reason and a plan for them.

Estimator

Quote from: bannside on February 24, 2018, 10:18:16 PM
Sad Days for the once great institution that once was the Derry senior Football team. 8th in Ulster and counting.

I don't get this over inflation of Derry's position in the GAA.  The reality is that Derry have won 1 All-Ireland Senior Football Title. Which is less than the likes of Louth, Limerick and Wexford. Derry have only made the final on 1 other occasion.  Laois and Antrim have played in the same amount of All-Ireland finals.

Derry are 8th in Ulster when it comes to the Anglo Celt.  Only Fermanagh on 0 are below them. 
Derry only have 7 titles. 
Putting that in perspective:
Cavan won 7 titles in the 30' and 7 titles in the 40's; 
Down won 6 titles in the 60's;
Armagh won 6 titles in the '00's.

Given Derry's limited impact on the Ulster and All-Ireland Senior Championships I think that expectations are ultimately out of sync with supporters.  At their very best Derry could/should be a Div 2 side, but this is the level we are at now.
Ulster League Champions 2009

NatSoSaff

Quote from: BackInTheGame on February 24, 2018, 11:40:35 PM
It's tough going but this was always going to be a project and not a quick-fix.  As rubbish as the first half sounded on the commentary, the second half showed fight if nothing else.

Very, very young and inexperienced squad. The Slaughtneil boys will be a big plus if the expected lads decide to make themselves available. Chrissy and Rogers transform that defence instantly, and by a huge amount, in addition to the other players they have who would make that squad on ability.

I thought it was too soon to be giving that job to McErlain but he has it now and I think we have to give him 3 years and see how it goes. I don't agree with some of his player selections (and, probably more so, de-selections) on this panel, but I'm assuming he has a reason and a plan for them.

The second half showed fight?? The only reason for that was because the Fermanagh keeper literally gifted two goals in a minute to bring it from an 11 point gap to 5 which unsettled Fermanagh for the remainder of the half. Let's be honest? It looked like Dublin v Kilkenny up until that point. Tactically abysmal. 1 or 2 experienced lads left on the bench, young lads left to swim against the tide. At least when the likes of heron came on, there was a bit of width and space creates to get a bit of shape to the thing, but my oh my abysmal stuff in general! As for the Derry support!!!!??? I don't want to see anyone else comment after this post in relation to the performance beacaus I think those that have this far already accumulate to grand total of supporters in Brewster park last night from what I seen. Problems on and off the field in my opinion.

bannside

Wasn't long ago you won div 1 of the NFL. Think it was under Paddy Crozier. The decline is frightening.

The irony is you do have the players. I saw your team sheet to line out last year against Mayo and said to a couple of people that you would give Mayo their fill if it. Because it was the first team all year that Damian Barton lined put that looked to me to have the right mix on the field, particularly legpower in the right places.

restorepride

Quote from: BackInTheGame on February 24, 2018, 11:40:35 PM

Plan? There is no plan, not even for kick outs. Slaughtneil to the rescue, again, is about as near to a plan or structure as you will get. He may last 3 years but some players will not. He had a chance to call on experience to steady the ship and two minors were chosen.  To me, this showed a real lack of football sense and and an innocence in management.

Estimator

Quote from: bannside on February 25, 2018, 09:21:31 AM
Wasn't long ago you won div 1 of the NFL. Think it was under Paddy Crozier. The decline is frightening.

10yrs ago now. Look at the quality of players we had in that final. I think we had 4 All-Stars on the panel. Lynch is probably the only survivor from then. But what did it mean? Not much. Come the championship we beat Donegal and were dumped out by Fermanagh, and then lost to Monaghan in the qualifiers.

In 2014 we raced through the League putting up big scores beating and the like of Kerry and Dublin. However we were hammered in the final. Then lost to Donegal in the first round of Ulster and beaten by the mighty Longford in the qualifiers.
Ulster League Champions 2009

restorepride

Quote from: Estimator on February 25, 2018, 12:02:29 PM
Quote from: bannside on February 25, 2018, 09:21:31 AM

10yrs ago now. Look at the quality of players we had in that final. I think we had 4 All-Stars on the panel. Lynch is probably the only survivor from then. But what did it mean? Not much. Come the championship we beat Donegal and were dumped out by Fermanagh, and then lost to Monaghan in the qualifiers.

In 2014 we raced through the League putting up big scores beating and the like of Kerry and Dublin. However we were hammered in the final. Then lost to Donegal in the first round of Ulster and beaten by the mighty Longford in the qualifiers.
Correct. The difference in quality now is unreal.  Comments on here about Bradley releasing his "inner Tohill"! Holy Jesus.  Then, when you add lack of quality (which is where we are at and must live with for present) to lack of organisation and basic team structure (where we should not be at any time and should not accept), you get a county team facing towards Division 4.

screenexile

500 odd at a double header in Celtic Park for the County team last week and at least a few thousand in Bellaghy for a school's match . . .

1. Matches in South Derry get bigger crowds
2. The County is crying out for a bit of success and we can get the crowds back

restorepride

Quote from: screenexile on February 25, 2018, 02:59:38 PM
500 odd at a double header in Celtic Park for the County team last week and at least a few thousand in Bellaghy for a school's match . . .

1. Matches in South Derry get bigger crowds
2. The County is crying out for a bit of success and we can get the crowds back

Is the game over?

screenexile

restorepride

screenexile

Quote from: restorepride on February 25, 2018, 03:29:16 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 25, 2018, 03:24:12 PM
3-2 to 0-7 to the Convent HT
Thanks. Goals win games?!

While to go yet. . . not at it just getting updates through.

5-3 to 0-11 at the minute

braveheart

3271 hungry,deprived Gaa Football supporters in the south derry club of Bellaghy today for a school Game. 570 in Celtic park last week for a county double header.