?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

toby47

Quote from: Estimator on January 30, 2018, 12:20:35 PM
In fairness, its the manager's prerogative to select the players that he wants for his squad.  In the same manner if a player decides that county football isn't for them, they make themselves unavailable, like so many players did last year.  The difference being the players won't get held to account for their decision, but the manager definitely will. 

Predicting the future, I can see posters still going on about this and the manager having to answer questions about this come C'Ship time.

And rightly so. Losing to Westmeath and coming out a day or two later talking about the small panel he has when he dropped his best player. Then when asked for a reason he comes out with that arrogant dung.

TheOptimist

Quote from: toby47 on January 30, 2018, 12:37:04 PM
In fairness, its the manager's prerogative to select the players that he wants for his squad.  In the same manner if a player decides that county football isn't for them, they make themselves unavailable, like so many players did last year.  The difference being the players won't get held to account for their decision, but the manager definitely will. 

Predicting the future, I can see posters still going on about this and the manager having to answer questions about this come C'Ship time.

And rightly so. Losing to Westmeath and coming out a day or two later talking about the small panel he has when he dropped his best player. Then when asked for a reason he comes out with that arrogant dung.

I don't remember Heavron setting the world alight last year. He opted out then in, we got relegated, and he never hit the heights of the previous year!

scallywag

I've set back and watched the comments on here and it's no wonder Derry are in the situation there in!
They have a fella from moneymore, yes moneymore incharge of fixtures,my god!!
We have a fella who is the manager because the big names pointed out what they wanred/needed till try and get the team out off div 3,and county board said no!!
Damien will not get three years,poor fella being led up the path, laughing stock in Ulster at the moment.
How many teams in Ireland actually fear play the likes of Fermanagh!!!that's how far we have falling because off a board who hasn't a clue!

toby47

Quote from: TheOptimist on January 30, 2018, 01:03:46 PM

I don't remember Heavron setting the world alight last year. He opted out then in, we got relegated, and he never hit the heights of the previous year!

Is he good enough to walk into the Derry team on Sunday? Yes he is.  I rest my case.

JoG2

Who in a Derry shirt did set the world alight? Heavron was one of our better players against Tyrone, and was one of our top 3 performers in the 2 qualifying matches. Absolute madness not to have himself, Bell, McGuckin and Sean Leo in the squad imo. I'd also have G McKindless, as we're severely lacking any divilment ! But, it's Macker's call and we'll have to get out and show our support for the year

screenexile

Quote from: scallywag on January 30, 2018, 01:16:36 PM
I've set back and watched the comments on here and it's no wonder Derry are in the situation there in!
We have a fella who is the manager because the big names pointed out what they wanred/needed till try and get the team out off div 3,and county board said no!!
Damien will not get three years,poor fella being led up the path, laughing stock in Ulster at the moment.
How many teams in Ireland actually fear play the likes of Fermanagh!!!that's how far we have falling because off a board who hasn't a clue!

OK I'll bite . . .what has Moneymore got to do with anything??!!

TheOptimist

Quote from: JoG2 on January 30, 2018, 01:56:28 PM

Who in a Derry shirt did set the world alight? Heavron was one of our better players against Tyrone, and was one of our top 3 performers in the 2 qualifying matches. Absolute madness not to have himself, Bell, McGuckin and Sean Leo in the squad imo. I'd also have G McKindless, as we're severely lacking any divilment ! But, it's Macker's call and we'll have to get out and show our support for the year

I know you are right really, but I believe in respecting the managers call. He didn't make the decision for no reason.

scallywag

If you want the best for your county you go till the best clubs and pick there best men who know what it takes till be the best!!!
We have a lad from moneymore and a lad from drummullan (don't no if he is still involved),now need I go on!!! peanuts and monkeys come till mind!!
SHAMBLES

Keyser soze

Couldn't agree more Scally. Historically Bellaghy are the most successful club so only they should make up the county board.

Or maybe it should be comprised solely of 'Neilers as they are currently head and shoulders above anything else in Derry.

tbrick18

I cant believe there are complaints about a county board member because of where he is from!
Pure nonsense.

I can see through it if the complaint was specifically about something a person has or hasn't done, but come on.....basically the comment is saying that Barker isnt fit for a job as he's from Moneymore. It's just a ridiculous notion. I hope you're not in any position where you are responsible for employing people.

As for McErlain and his comments about picking a panel, its an awkward one to answer truthfully, but that answer was arrogant.
He has now put himself in a difficult position I think. Even if he does think he made a mistake omitting them, he possibly feels now that he can't back track or he'll look weak. Personally, I think the guys mentioned in the article should have been some of the first players to get picked. I sense there is more to this story than has been made public.

Its really difficult to motivate Derry fans to attend games at the best of times, but when we see that our best players (in my opinion) are not going to be playing what are we going to watch? A group of guys just out of minors who are out of their depth a bit with no experience around them to help bring them on. Its unfair on those new guys as well to expect so much from them without the relative stability of players who have been around for a few years and know the craic. I know its very early days, but things seem to be a shambles this year already.

I really worry for Derry at the minute. I can see us drifting further and further away in terms of being competitive.

lenny

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 30, 2018, 04:16:03 PM

I cant believe there are complaints about a county board member because of where he is from!
Pure nonsense.

I can see through it if the complaint was specifically about something a person has or hasn't done, but come on.....basically the comment is saying that Barker isnt fit for a job as he's from Moneymore. It's just a ridiculous notion. I hope you're not in any position where you are responsible for employing people.

As for McErlain and his comments about picking a panel, its an awkward one to answer truthfully, but that answer was arrogant.
He has now put himself in a difficult position I think. Even if he does think he made a mistake omitting them, he possibly feels now that he can't back track or he'll look weak. Personally, I think the guys mentioned in the article should have been some of the first players to get picked. I sense there is more to this story than has been made public.

Its really difficult to motivate Derry fans to attend games at the best of times, but when we see that our best players (in my opinion) are not going to be playing what are we going to watch? A group of guys just out of minors who are out of their depth a bit with no experience around them to help bring them on. Its unfair on those new guys as well to expect so much from them without the relative stability of players who have been around for a few years and know the craic. I know its very early days, but things seem to be a shambles this year already.

I really worry for Derry at the minute. I can see us drifting further and further away in terms of being competitive.

We've lost one game lads ffs. We got a ridiculous penalty awarded against us and we missed one ourselves at the end. Lots of people here are listing players who should be on the panel but most of them have been tried before and failed, are too old now or have walked away before and not shown the right commitment.The only player I've seen mentioned on this discussion board who would improve the team is danny heavron. For some unknown reason he is being left out at the moment which is great for us in the club but not good for derry. I think Damien has gone for too much youth but we will look a lot stronger when the slaughtneil boys come back.

restorepride

You realy is a scullywug!

cuyahoga

As far as I have seen, for a number of years, not many players from Derry clubs have been comfortable playing for the county team. Eamonn Coleman RIP is no longer with us and the odd one or two other highly respected managers, who could do an excellent job, despair at the apathy in many quarters. Why would they put their good reputations on the line to resurrect an indifferent Derry Football County Board and public. Does anyone seriously think that the return of the Slaughtneil contingent will greatly enhance the fortunes of the Derry county team when they join up with an underage manager after spending nearly their last 3 or 4 years with one of the most undoubtedly respected managers in Ireland. What did the Crossmaglen players ever contribute to Armagh (or manager)  when their marathon stint in All Ireland Club Football Championships came to an end? Also, don't forget, these same Slaughtneil players have been living like Cistercians for such a long time and playing All Ireland Club (and county) hurling as well. Can you imagine the outcry if one of them had an average game for the county team? If any players need a rest, they do.

lenny

Quote from: cuyahoga on January 31, 2018, 12:13:15 AM
As far as I have seen, for a number of years, not many players from Derry clubs have been comfortable playing for the county team. Eamonn Coleman RIP is no longer with us and the odd one or two other highly respected managers, who could do an excellent job, despair at the apathy in many quarters. Why would they put their good reputations on the line to resurrect an indifferent Derry Football County Board and public. Does anyone seriously think that the return of the Slaughtneil contingent will greatly enhance the fortunes of the Derry county team when they join up with an underage manager after spending nearly their last 3 or 4 years with one of the most undoubtedly respected managers in Ireland. What did the Crossmaglen players ever contribute to Armagh (or manager)  when their marathon stint in All Ireland Club Football Championships came to an end? Also, don't forget, these same Slaughtneil players have been living like Cistercians for such a long time and playing All Ireland Club (and county) hurling as well. Can you imagine the outcry if one of them had an average game for the county team? If any players need a rest, they do.

I think oisin mcconville, the mcentees and francie bellew, aaron kernen contributed quite a lot to armagh. They won an all ireland and a few ulsters. You should have a wee think before you type.

imtommygunn