Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Real Talk

One of the weakest defences I have in my 45 years following the Derry Senior Football team.  The Westmeath forward line has some very good footballers.  I just cant see how we can win this one.   Hope I'm wrong.

restorepride

Quote from: Mountain Gael on January 26, 2018, 11:07:38 PM
Wishing the derry management and players all the best for the coming season. Really do believe we will have a good one and first thing we can achieve is promotion from division3. Thought we were going to be light for the first few games but just after seeing team selection for sunday and i must say that is a very strong first 15 plus a few subs that will make a big difference. Have no doubt we will beat westmeath pretty handly and push on for a few bigger games which will decide our fate in the league. So again good luck to all involved and i hope we start were we left off last year when we could and should have beaten mayo down in mayo in the all ireland qualifiers.if we play like that no-one will beat us in the league. doire abu
Are you happy enough with Kevin Johnston at fullback? How do you feel he did in the last game he played for Derry at fullback?

restorepride

Wishing the derry management and players all the best for the coming season. Really do believe we will have a good one and first thing we can achieve is promotion from division3. Thought we were going to be light for the first few games but just after seeing team selection for sunday and i must say that is a very strong first 15 plus a few subs that will make a big difference. Have no doubt we will beat westmeath pretty handly and push on for a few bigger games which will decide our fate in the league. So again good luck to all involved and i hope we start were we left off last year when we could and should have beaten mayo down in mayo in the all ireland qualifiers.if we play like that no-one will beat us in the league. doire abu
And that is the end of the "handy" win theory!

Wildweasel74

We actually getting worse! Michael Bateson aside who had a great game!

Galer

restorepride

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 28, 2018, 05:22:23 PM
Took his two points well but needs to learn to tackle without fouling, as does McFaul, Mooney and McGoldrick.  Kielt very silly to get involved for his second yellow when we had an extra man.

screenexile

Quote from: Galer on January 28, 2018, 05:37:44 PM
Derry for div4?

Wouldn't have thought so but it's a tough ask to get promotion now!!

JoG2

Quote from: restorepride on January 28, 2018, 05:39:43 PM
Took his two points well but needs to learn to tackle without fouling, as does McFaul, Mooney and McGoldrick.  Kielt very silly to get involved for his second yellow when we had an extra man.

In football it's not whether a player fouls or not, it's whether the ref blows or not. In fairness to the players, the ref was both jeckle and hyde today!  There would be spells were he was whistle happy, then he'd let anything go for 10 minutes. Half the time he didn't play the advantage rule

Disappointed with that showing today. Far too many men blow hit and cold, can make a wonderful interception / tackle, then cough up possession with a ludicrous pass. And how often did we carry the ball needlessly into traffic and get turned over?

Bateson was good, as was Lynn. For 50 mins McAtamney was a real leader out there, but like so many others, he was consistently inconsistent.

3 home matches this year, 1 down. We're away to our bogey team next week who put up a big score against Offaly. We also have Fermanagh, Sligo  and Armagh away. Could be a tight enough league campaign! Westmeath were managing the game, time wise, from early in the first half playing against the wind. How many times was Lynn stopped illegally in his tracks? On the other hand we would near lay out the red carpet. We're far too nice not near cute enough.

Real Talk

Quote from: JoG2 on January 28, 2018, 07:11:43 PM
Quote from: restorepride on January 28, 2018, 05:39:43 PM

In football it's not whether a player fouls or not, it's whether the ref blows or not. In fairness to the players, the ref was both jeckle and hyde today!  There would be spells were he was whistle happy, then he'd let anything go for 10 minutes. Half the time he didn't play the advantage rule

Disappointed with that showing today. Far too many men blow hit and cold, can make a wonderful interception / tackle, then cough up possession with a ludicrous pass. And how often did we carry the ball needlessly into traffic and get turned over?

Bateson was good, as was Lynn. For 50 mins McAtamney was a real leader out there, but like so many others, he was consistently inconsistent.

3 home matches this year, 1 down. We're away to our bogey team next week who put up a big score against Offaly. We also have Fermanagh, Sligo  and Armagh away. Could be a tight enough league campaign! Westmeath were managing the game, time wise, from early in the first half playing against the wind. How many times was Lynn stopped illegally in his tracks? On the other hand we would near lay out the red carpet. We're far too nice not near cute enough.

Cant believe their player John Heslin at No 11 was allowed the freedom of the park .... was their no homework done on this team at all.  Its also true to say that this was the first time this batch have played together but and then when the Slaugtneil men return it will be all change again.  The schedule of games is very tight so as I said in an earlier post 2018 is going to be a tough year

shawshank

Seriously your surprised Heslin was given the freedom of the park, did you not watch the minor final, is Mc Kindless not a county standard man marker, sorry he wasn't asked. Ffs don't start me, I said I wasn't going to do this

TheOptimist

Had a thought today for all the talk on how county football affects the club's it's amazing actually how much club football affects the county in Derry. With slaughtneil and ballinderrys success over the years our county team is being held back and maybe wouldn't be a div 3 team otherwise. The sooner the two seasons don't overlap the better.

Mountain Gael

Got it completely wrong, really thought we would start the season well. Maybe the less said the better on the performance. We should be winning games like this.

restorepride

The most disheartening is that I saw no development of a system of play in either McKenna Cup games or today. Very individual.  Few kick out options, even in club football you will have 4/5 players, at least, making runs or dummy runs.  At times today there may have been one player only making a meaningful run or none.  If the lack of any real strategy to get primary possession continues, there will be some fun when we meet a better team than Westmeath.

restorepride

Quote from: Mountain Gael on January 28, 2018, 10:50:00 PM
Got it completely wrong, really thought we would start the season well. Maybe the less said the better on the performance. We should be winning games like this.
Question for you. Why "should we be winning games like this"? 

Rawhide

Lads I want you to think of the players who are available outside of about 3  S'Neil players who ar certs I.e. C Mc Kaigue, S Mc Guinean, B Rogers. You could argue all day about a couple of others, but taking into account the unavailability of these players why then is Heavron, Mc Kindless, Bell not been invited. Have Derry ever been in Division 4? Some pressure on Mc Erlain now, he made these calls for whatever reason.
cccc is a true supporter lol