Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

shawshank

Lenny is clearly a CB man or a big supporter of their approach as any club man can clearly see how our club football is being dismantled.

I personally feel clubs should take a stand and make a statement to our county board, maybe something as simple as boycott the Larkin Cup this season to see if they get the message, if the same shite is in situ next season boycott the league. How else can it be turned around, talking isn't working as no one is listening

Josey Wales

Quote from: Josey Wales on January 18, 2018, 09:55:09 PM
Barker and the complete County board don't give one dam about clubs.  Its all about the County and croke park.

Used to be clubs would have made a bit of much needed money by being given the odd club championship match.  They have taken all that now and the club even have to pay the ref for championship matches while the County board pocket all the gate recipts. 

Also im trying to remember but wasn't there a case recently where clubs voted a certain way for a motion, but our Country board delegated went down to croker and voted against the will of the club vote.  Can someone let me know what this motion was?

Was doing abit of asking about and it was the black card motion our County board Croke Park representitive went against the vote of the Co Derry clubs and voted differently.  Not 100% sure but i think it was Gerad O'Kane.

Josey Wales

Quote from: shawshank on January 19, 2018, 04:36:02 PM
Lenny is clearly a CB man or a big supporter of their approach as any club man can clearly see how our club football is being dismantled.

I personally feel clubs should take a stand and make a statement to our county board, maybe something as simple as boycott the Larkin Cup this season to see if they get the message, if the same shite is in situ next season boycott the league. How else can it be turned around, talking isn't working as no one is listening

Maybe club members should boycott County games until the county board starts listening.  Its risky though, as no one may notice, given that i believe this is already happening with the attendances at these games.

theticklemister

Quote from: Josey Wales on January 19, 2018, 04:51:52 PM

Maybe club members should boycott County games until the county board starts listening.  Its risky though, as no one may notice, given that i believe this is already happening with the attendances at these games.

What clubs should do is gain what other clubs are doing in other counties and petition the CPA to see what they think.

Maybe a general club strike throughout the country could be the way to operate?

lenny

I'm not a county board man at all. I'm simply thinking from a players point of view. Players don't want to be training for weeks on end with no matches. This mid season competition allows the players to get regular matches. The standard mightn't be as high as it would've been with county players but at least matches go on. Most people on here are thinking from a spectating point of view and think the games won't be worth watching without county players. I'm just saying that the non county players will be just happy getting regular games.

restorepride

Quote from: theticklemister on January 19, 2018, 05:13:58 PM

What clubs should do is gain what other clubs are doing in other counties and petition the CPA to see what they think.

Maybe a general club strike throughout the country could be the way to operate?

A strike and a boycott?! That should ensure a lot of football?! 

JoG2

Has this not been the case?! :D

North Man

Folks let this proposed format have a chance.
IMO Stephen Barker is a progressive man, an intelligent man, with a vision of what clubs and club players needs.
He was playing club football last season and has played club football in the intermediate and junior grades throughout his career.
The changes made over the last couple of years to club games structuring, through his guidance have been generally well received .
Croporate Croke Park are not making things easy for the likes of the Stephen B's of Ireland.
Maybe folks here would want the Master back.

shantygael

Quote from: North Man on January 20, 2018, 10:22:03 PM
IMO Stephen Barker is a progressive man, an intelligent man, with a vision of what clubs and club players needs.
He was playing club football last season and has played club football in the intermediate and junior grades throughout his career.
The changes made over the last couple of years to club games structuring, through his guidance have been generally well received .
Croporate Croke Park are not making things easy for the likes of the Stephen B's of Ireland.
A big no to that
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

Keyser soze

Couldn't agree less.

It is clear that this is not being well received. It is utter nonsense to suggest that this will benefit club players, it completely flies in the face of any received wisdom to reduce the number of competitive games for clubs and then label this as in the interests of players. A recipe for even more lads to head off to America or elsewhere for the summer. Or take up another sport which will provide them with an odd game.

If these changes were in the best interests of clubs why were they not discussed at County Convention? Don't know Stephen Barker at all but have heard good reports about him. If you are reading this Stephen you have fumbled the ball with this one.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Keyser soze on January 22, 2018, 09:44:07 AM

Couldn't agree less.

It is clear that this is not being well received. It is utter nonsense to suggest that this will benefit club players, it completely flies in the face of any received wisdom to reduce the number of competitive games for clubs and then label this as in the interests of players. A recipe for even more lads to head off to America or elsewhere for the summer. Or take up another sport which will provide them with an odd game.

If these changes were in the best interests of clubs why were they not discussed at County Convention? Don't know Stephen Barker at all but have heard good reports about him. If you are reading this Stephen you have fumbled the ball with this one.

I've spoken to numerous club players about this from multiple clubs and none of them seem as bothered by this as the posters on here. A few a bit more worried about relegation than they were but no mention of the number of fixtures. The one thing they did mention was why change the league but keep the number of championship teams the same? Surely if the county board are looking to make us more competitive in Ulster at Intermediate and Junior have Div 1 play senior, 2 play Intermediate and 3 play Junior (or 1A, 1B and 2 as I had heard they are being called).

Keyser soze

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 22, 2018, 09:57:53 AM

Couldn't agree less.

I've spoken to numerous club players about this from multiple clubs and none of them seem as bothered by this as the posters on here. A few a bit more worried about relegation than they were but no mention of the number of fixtures. The one thing they did mention was why change the league but keep the number of championship teams the same? Surely if the county board are looking to make us more competitive in Ulster at Intermediate and Junior have Div 1 play senior, 2 play Intermediate and 3 play Junior (or 1A, 1B and 2 as I had heard they are being called).

So you have spoken to a lot of people in a lot of clubs about this matter, sounds like you have conducted an impromptu survey, and a few of them are worried about relegation and all[?] of them are concerned that the championship numbers stay the same but none of them have any concerns about the number of games they get to play.

With scores like this on the bullshitometer you are definitely county board material lol

oakleaflad

Quote from: Keyser soze on January 22, 2018, 11:03:12 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on January 22, 2018, 09:57:53 AM

Couldn't agree less.

So you have spoken to a lot of people in a lot of clubs about this matter, sounds like you have conducted an impromptu survey, and a few of them are worried about relegation and all[?] of them are concerned that the championship numbers stay the same but none of them have any concerns about the number of games they get to play.

With scores like this on the bullshitometer you are definitely county board material lol
Around ten people from a few clubs. No survey. A few were more worried about possible relegation, yes. No, only a couple mentioned the championship and league structures being different but I thought it was a valid point and so raised it. Correct, not one of the people I spoke to mentioned the number of games - Note, not all the players I spoke to play senior football (in fact the majority don't) and so the number of games would have been less of a factor due to the already smaller leagues in Div2 and 3. Perhaps the fact that the number of games in the coming season isn't changing and that's what they are focused on meant that it wasn't at the forefront of their mind. If you think I'm making stuff up to post on here then good luck to you but the views of the players that I spoke to at least haven't been represented on here.

Keyser soze

Well I am sure I don't need to conduct a survey about what the concerns of club players are as it has been well documented over the past few years. How these changes are a reflection of club players concerns is beyond me.

As I said earlier it will add to the number of people heading off for the summer or pursuing other sporting interests as far as I can see.

thepundit

Firstly it is fair for everyone to be concerned about the massive break in the middle of the summer to facilitate the county players. a real kick in the teeth for the ordinary club player. This will especially affect division 2 and 3 where there are a small representation of players in the county panel. The restructuring of the leagues however provides a real exciting league campaign for the incoming season. In my opinion the league has become stale in the past number of seasons.  For this incoming season every game is do or die. As for the leagues starting in 2019.. Division one and two will be hugely competitive.