Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

allseasons

We all know that the biggest drop off in the gaa happens between the ages of 17 - 20.  There are a few obvious reasons for this. Most players who are likely to play senior club football are either playing or pushing hard to make the senior team by 19/20. Many players who are just not talented enough at this age often try other sports or interests. Also around this age boys prioritise other things in their lives such as jobs, education,  social life, women etc and good luck to them. Committing to an amateur sport and dedicating yourself to it just isn't for everyone.
Must admit that I agree totally with the shift from u21 to u20 but personally I'm not so sure about moving u18 to u17. I feel this is too young for competitive county football but I can understand why the change has been made at this age.

Keyser soze

Quote from: allseasons on November 16, 2017, 09:34:25 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on November 16, 2017, 03:45:00 PM
Quote from: allseasons on November 16, 2017, 03:25:39 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on November 16, 2017, 09:32:13 AM
I don't see that U17 suits the 26 any more than it suits the OSC, it means people doing their final year exams in both jurisdictions aren't eligible to play.

Jesus wept ::)

Heh?

The idea of moving the age from under 18 to u17 was so our young players wouldn't have to combine playing  county minor football with the biggest exams of their lives in the same year.

Yeah I already knew that. I was pointing out that that it was the same whether doing leaving cert or A level in response to someone saying it favoured 26 co minors.

I havent a clue what ur comments are about. Don't think u do either.

allseasons

Quote from: Keyser soze on November 17, 2017, 08:31:50 AM
I don't see that U17 suits the 26 any more than it suits the OSC, it means people doing their final year exams in both jurisdictions aren't eligible to play.

Heh?

The idea of moving the age from under 18 to u17 was so our young players wouldn't have to combine playing  county minor football with the biggest exams of their lives in the same year.

Yeah I already knew that. I was pointing out that that it was the same whether doing leaving cert or A level in response to someone saying it favoured 26 co minors.

Apologies Keyser I picked you up wrong there. Your point is indeed a valid one.

lenny

Quote from: allseasons on November 17, 2017, 10:46:49 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on November 17, 2017, 08:31:50 AM

Heh?

Apologies Keyser I picked you up wrong there. Your point is indeed a valid one.

Micky donnelly from aghaloo is the new u20 manager for derry.

skeog

Good god a donegal and tyrone man guiding your u age teams never in a million years would tyrone think about outsiders.

lenny

Quote from: skeog on November 17, 2017, 09:38:06 PM
Good god a donegal and tyrone man guiding your u age teams never in a million years would tyrone think about outsiders.

Correct it's sad. Too many of derry's best coaches are getting far too much money up in tyrone to consider taking derrys underage teams.

Derry Optimist

Has Derry's new  U20 football manager Mickey Donnelly of Tyrone  announced his back room team?

Hopefully included will be some very able and talented Derry men with vision and footballing expertise - especially in the tactics and coaching know how of the modern game - to supplement the excellent C.V of the Aughnacloy man.

It is vital that the great work of the past three years of Damian McErlain and his Minor management team be built upon and developed properly so that the players can seamlessly move forward from being good minors and through  the ranks of the U20's onto Senior inter county standard.

I am sure an Provincial  title  will be the aim of the new U20 management team.

Gabriel_Hurl

Wildweasel74

for years good underage coaching in Derry has been ignored, greed or people needing to add to their income due to personal reasons means many good coaches are all outside the county or been paid alot by club teams in the county means these 2 teams where ignored for a no of years at minor and u-21, abit of outside intervention may improve the standards  of underage teams.

TROUSERS

Quote from: lenny on November 17, 2017, 11:28:47 PM

Correct it's sad. Too many of derry's best coaches are getting far too much money up in tyrone to consider taking derrys underage teams.

Who like?

restorepride

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 18, 2017, 02:17:23 PM
Joe isn't happy - and he's stopping giving money to Club Derry

https://twitter.com/JoeBrolly1993/status/931887386367324161

Joe is generally unhappy and has been for a number of years. Pretend loyalty may fool you but not those who know that Joe will implode very soon, probably live on RTÉ.  Club Derry will be all the richer without him. Joe, who craves to be one of the lads but never was and never will be so he makes more noise to get more attention.

imtommygunn

restorepride

lenny

Quote from: Tagsman on November 18, 2017, 09:21:40 PM

Who are they? Can't think of any Derry men in throne apart from Barton?

Off the top of my head in the last few seasons there's been barton, crozier, cassidy, boyle, mcguckin, gilligan, conway and devlin at least. There may have been more.

Mikhailov

Quote from: lenny on November 18, 2017, 09:48:51 PM
Quote from: Tagsman on November 18, 2017, 09:21:40 PM

Who are they? Can't think of any Derry men in throne apart from Barton?

Off the top of my head in the last few seasons there's been barton, crozier, cassidy, boyle, mcguckin and devlin at least. There may have been more.

Who are Boyle, McGuckian and Devlin?