Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (47.6%)
?
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

honthecounty

I hear a few big names not included in senior panel, biggest surprise being benny heron after a very good championship, any truth in this ?

Mountain Gael

Heard that today myself. Also a few players have said 'no' to damians invite to join the panel. I really am concerned even before the season starts as the vibes are not good.

lenny

Quote from: honthecounty on October 09, 2017, 05:02:21 PM
I hear a few big names not included in senior panel, biggest surprise being benny heron after a very good championship, any truth in this ?

It'll be very interesting to see this panel. If Benny heron and Danny heavron aren't on it will be a major shock as they are the prototype athletic modern day footballer and both are top quality players.

restorepride

Quote from: lenny on October 09, 2017, 08:00:25 PM

It'll be very interesting to see this panel. If Benny heron and Danny heavron aren't on it will be a major shock as they are the prototype athletic modern day footballer and both are top quality players.
Would be surprised if they do not feature at some stage next year. Very early to be deciding on a squad. Division 3 football will require some experienced hands on board so hopefully no doors have been shut tight yet.

NatSoSaff

Hearing last night that Herron nor Heavron have been included in the Derry panel and that neither have been spoken to in any regard by the manager. These two lads along with James Kielt have been probably our best and most consistent operators in the Derry jersey over the past few seasons! What is the thinking behind it? Surely they'll be returning/called up for the league? Correct me if i'm wrong but arent these players all around the 25/26 year old mark? Prime age!

honthecounty

Time will tell, biggest game of the season so far arguably in Newry on Sunday, hopefully another winter of following Slaughtneil ahead. Good luck to Newbridge as well, fancy them to do well in Ulster however Moy will be tough to turn over. Junior Final on Saturday also, if its anything like lasts years it should be a cracker with the Magilligan and Drum game was the game of the day that day.

toby47

Quote from: NatSoSaff on October 10, 2017, 09:02:54 AM

Hearing last night that Herron nor Heavron have been included in the Derry panel and that neither have been spoken to in any regard by the manager. These two lads along with James Kielt have been probably our best and most consistent operators in the Derry jersey over the past few seasons! What is the thinking behind it? Surely they'll be returning/called up for the league? Correct me if i'm wrong but arent these players all around the 25/26 year old mark? Prime age!

Benny would be 25/26 I think and Kielt and Heavron around 28 as both were on the same minor team. Not sure the thinking behind it at all but if Damien expects to do well with the majority of his squad being u21 then it's just as naive as playing 40 yards of space in front of Clifford. Also if Slaughtneil come out of ulster again that's another 4/5 key players missing the first few league games which could have a lasting impact on the season.

Saying that, in Barton's two years they pulled Tyrone out of the hat in first round of ulster. A kinder draw this year could maybe help Derry gain a bit of confidence but from what i'm hearing early on the signs aren't good.

JoG2

Quote from: toby47 on October 10, 2017, 10:24:36 AM
Quote from: NatSoSaff on October 10, 2017, 09:02:54 AM

Benny would be 25/26 I think and Kielt and Heavron around 28 as both were on the same minor team. Not sure the thinking behind it at all but if Damien expects to do well with the majority of his squad being u21 then it's just as naive as playing 40 yards of space in front of Clifford. Also if Slaughtneil come out of ulster again that's another 4/5 key players missing the first few league games which could have a lasting impact on the season.

Saying that, in Barton's two years they pulled Tyrone out of the hat in first round of ulster. A kinder draw this year could maybe help Derry gain a bit of confidence but from what i'm hearing early on the signs aren't good.

Ah ffs, the state of Derry and its football perfectly summed up in a few words in early October

Derry Optimist

Re the make up of the new Derry Senior football panel maybe, like what some of our previous managers did, Damian McErlain has selected a Provisional panel of some experienced players mixed with a large coterie of U21 players for pre season and McKenna Cup purposes. Then like them he picks a more stable panel which includes all the best players in the County for the League.

If that is not the case and Heavron,Kielt  Heron and others are not selected on a permanent basis then there will be a lot of difficult questions to be answered.

Either way for the sake of the stability and future of Derry football Damian has to issue a statement announcing his intentions for the coming season.Players officials and supporters do not need any more uncertainty re our Senior football team. We need a clear unambiguous plan which includes ALL of our best players,  irrespective of age and previous unavailability, playing again for our county.We have suffered long enough.

NatSoSaff

Quote from: Derry Optimist on October 10, 2017, 11:41:32 AM
Re the make up of the new Derry Senior football panel maybe, like what some of our previous managers did, Damian McErlain has selected a Provisional panel of some experienced players mixed with a large coterie of U21 players for pre season and McKenna Cup purposes. Then like them he picks a more stable panel which includes all the best players in the County for the League.

If that is not the case and Heavron,Kielt  Heron and others are not selected on a permanent basis then there will be a lot of difficult questions to be answered.

Either way for the sake of the stability and future of Derry football Damian has to issue a statement announcing his intentions for the coming season.Players officials and supporters do not need any more uncertainty re our Senior football team. We need a clear unambiguous plan which includes ALL of our best players,  irrespective of age and previous unavailability, playing again for our county.We have suffered long enough.

Completely agree, hopefully he wil shed some light on his plans shortly and we can all get behind the team. Just hope no bridges have been burnt already!

seanyb1

You can add Emmett McGuckin on to the list of absentees - also not called up

toby47

Quote from: seanyb1 on October 10, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

So far Lynch, Kielt, Heavron, McGuckin.

Wonder what goalkeepers are on panel, was Postie asked back?

Don't know how a starting player can go from main player to not needed within 2/3 months. I know all managers will have difference in opinion on certain players but to not make a 30-40 man panel is some drop.

DERRYSFINEST

Sucky Bell and Postie NOT on panel

seanyb1

Quote from: toby47 on October 10, 2017, 01:16:58 PM
Quote from: seanyb1 on October 10, 2017, 01:06:59 PM

So far Lynch, Kielt, Heavron, McGuckin.

Wonder what goalkeepers are on panel, was Postie asked back?

don't know how an starting player can go from main player to not needed within 2/3 months. I know all managers will have difference in opinion on certain players but to not make a 30-40 man panel is some drop.

As far as i know postie did not get a call. Banagher keeper is up apparently , from what i seen of him this year he was decent

braveheart

Does anyone know if Sean Brady made the panel?