?
10 (47.6%)
?
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

tbrick18

Quote from: Uncle Phil on September 25, 2017, 08:59:36 AM
Well summed up Link.

Really feel for our lads because they could never get into the game and show what they could do.

Thought our tactics were lacking, and the sweeper system didn't work effectively.

However, there's no doubt that the better team won. Slaughtneil were seriously good from start to finish. A level above Screen and anyone else I've seen this year. I was so impressed with them.

Clinical, disciplined, focused, well conditioned. Hard to see anyone beating them any time soon.

Sammy, the McKaigue's, Rodgers et al were fantastic, and played their roles perfectly.

Twin, Patsy and Round Head were steadying the ship all game too with some really smart play.

Not to mention the talent coming off the Slaughtneil bench, most of whom would start on any club team in Ulster imo.

Then you have Moran overseeing proceedings, and it completes the perfect jigsaw.

Thought the referee was a joke with some of his decisions against Screen. But this didn't contribute to the result.

Best of luck to Slaughtneil in Ulster, they look even better than last year and will take some stopping.

+1

Slaughtneil by far the better side and unfortunately for us the score didn't flatter them.
They have pace all over the pitch, which we don't seem to have.
They looked better drilled too...they must have won 100% of their own kickouts, where we probably lost 50% of ours.
Their support play was superb and we just couldn't match it. I'm not sure if that was because they were able to stop us as they were so much better or if it was because we had not prepared to that level.
Hard to tell where we go from here.

Again, no real reflection on the end result as we were so well beaten, but the ref was a joke. We couldn't buy a free, or a penalty (def a peno against big Anton just before half time) and he seemed to give frees against us at the drop of a hat. I'd question the appointment of a Glenullin referee for a final with Slaughtneil in it due to the obvious links between both clubs when it comes to hurling. That could give cause for bias, and for me (albeit looking at it through screen tinted glasses) he was very one sided in his calls.

Anyway, best of luck to the Emmets, deserved winners.

DERRYSFINEST

As a neutral, the best team won.  Major gulf in the two teams ability.

However, Dan Mullan certainly favoured Slaughtneil in their semi final win against Glen and also yesterday.  It was clear for all to see

Estimator

Game Watch
S'neil were excellent throughout. 4 points inside the first 6 minutes set the tone and 'Screen were on the back foot already.  S'neil's mobility, pace and power all over the pitch, but especially in the middle third, was too much for 'Screen.  Their support play and running off the ball was excellent, 'Screen found it difficult to cope.  In fairness 'Screen got back to within 2 points with about 20mins gone.  The 2nd goal, did a lot of damage.  And by half time a 7point lead did look extremely difficult to turnaround.

It really was game over just after half time, I thought 'Screen could have dealt with the goal a bit better.  Anything after that point was really just seeing the game out.  McMullan's save from the penalty was excellent, and although 'Screen's goal came shortly after that, there is no way the 4th goal should have been conceded.

There was some excellent battles over the course of the game – Heron/Rogers and McWilliams/Feeney, were the two best.  Brendan Herron was v influential for a good part of the game. McWilliams was doing a lot of the heavy lifting in and around midfield.  Anton probably wasn't used as much as he should have been, he was in ff for about 15mins before anything was kicked in high.

Screen caused some problems with the rotational positions in the forward line.  There was an occasion were the closest S'neil man should have picked up Mulgrew (stand side), KMcK who was his marker, was on the terrace side covering someone else and the players decided to make the switch leaving Mulgrew free and McKaigue to cover a lot of ground to pick him up.  Of course the ball was kicked into Mulgrew for an easy possession.

S'neil will be delighted with the performance.  4-12 is excellent scoring, though they will be disappointed with a couple of poor choices in shot selection in the second half.  4-16 was probably achievable.  They could have emptied the subs bench a bit more, I don't think they introduce a sub until the last 10mins or so.

From the stats after the game, its interesting to see that they are quite similar across the board, apart from the scores.  34 v 30 attacks, 24 v 24 shots, 7 v 8 wides, Kickouts won 21 v 21, Turn overs 12 v 13.

S'neil are worthy Champions, they've a tough run (from the prelim) through Ulster starting with Kilcoo or Burren and then the Tyrone Champs.  Keep the main men fit and flying and they could certainly go one better than last year.

Ref Watch
1.Penalty incidents in the first half.  Twice in quick succession, Anton was just barged in the back with no intent on playing the ball.  If that happened on a kick out it's a free, plain and simple.

2.Philly Bradley was given a free in the first half for minimal contact, it was around head height, but there was nothing in it.  No calls from the players or crowd.  Very soft

3.In the second half Dermot McBride blocked a quick free, right under the nose of Mullan, but he refused to bring it forward.

4.The ball was played up the line to the S'neil corner forward, he fouled the Screen defender coming out with the ball, no free, play on.  S'neil man retained possession and was clearly fouled by the Screen defender, no free, play on.

5.Carlus playing a long ball into the ff line in the second half was hit as he was kicking it in.  Normally a free where the ball lands, nothing given.

6.Black Cards – there was a couple of drag downs, Feeney on Heron stands out for me, but there was a more than that.

Mullan had no impact on the scoreline.  He was very poor all over.  The S'neil contingent around us were convinced that he was favouring 'Screen in the first half.  His poor performance and inaction could easily have led to a row breaking out.  He looked like a man that couldn't really be bothered refereeing.  I certainly wouldn't suggest in any way that there was bias to either side.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Glenman93

Quote from: Estimator on September 25, 2017, 12:40:30 PM
Game Watch
S'neil were excellent throughout. 4 points inside the first 6 minutes set the tone and 'Screen were on the back foot already.  S'neil's mobility, pace and power all over the pitch, but especially in the middle third, was too much for 'Screen.  Their support play and running off the ball was excellent, 'Screen found it difficult to cope.  In fairness 'Screen got back to within 2 points with about 20mins gone.  The 2nd goal, did a lot of damage.  And by half time a 7point lead did look extremely difficult to turnaround.

It really was game over just after half time, I thought 'Screen could have dealt with the goal a bit better.  Anything after that point was really just seeing the game out.  McMullan's save from the penalty was excellent, and although 'Screen's goal came shortly after that, there is no way the 4th goal should have been conceded.

There was some excellent battles over the course of the game – Heron/Rogers and McWilliams/Feeney, were the two best.  Brendan Herron was v influential for a good part of the game. McWilliams was doing a lot of the heavy lifting in and around midfield.  Anton probably wasn't used as much as he should have been, he was in ff for about 15mins before anything was kicked in high.

Screen caused some problems with the rotational positions in the forward line.  There was an occasion were the closest S'neil man should have picked up Mulgrew (stand side), KMcK who was his marker, was on the terrace side covering someone else and the players decided to make the switch leaving Mulgrew free and McKaigue to cover a lot of ground to pick him up.  Of course the ball was kicked into Mulgrew for an easy possession.

S'neil will be delighted with the performance.  4-12 is excellent scoring, though they will be disappointed with a couple of poor choices in shot selection in the second half.  4-16 was probably achievable.  They could have emptied the subs bench a bit more, I don't think they introduce a sub until the last 10mins or so.

From the stats after the game, its interesting to see that they are quite similar across the board, apart from the scores.  34 v 30 attacks, 24 v 24 shots, 7 v 8 wides, Kickouts won 21 v 21, Turn overs 12 v 13.

S'neil are worthy Champions, they've a tough run (from the prelim) through Ulster starting with Kilcoo or Burren and then the Tyrone Champs.  Keep the main men fit and flying and they could certainly go one better than last year.

Ref Watch
1.Penalty incidents in the first half.  Twice in quick succession, Anton was just barged in the back with no intent on playing the ball.  If that happened on a kick out it's a free, plain and simple.

2.Philly Bradley was given a free in the first half for minimal contact, it was around head height, but there was nothing in it.  No calls from the players or crowd.  Very soft

3.In the second half Dermot McBride blocked a quick free, right under the nose of Mullan, but he refused to bring it forward.

4.The ball was played up the line to the S'neil corner forward, he fouled the Screen defender coming out with the ball, no free, play on.  S'neil man retained possession and was clearly fouled by the Screen defender, no free, play on.

5.Carlus playing a long ball into the ff line in the second half was hit as he was kicking it in.  Normally a free where the ball lands, nothing given.

6.Black Cards – there was a couple of drag downs, Feeney on Heron stands out for me, but there was a more than that.

Mullan had no impact on the scoreline.  He was very poor all over.  The S'neil contingent around us were convinced that he was favouring 'Screen in the first half.  His poor performance and inaction could easily have led to a row breaking out.  He looked like a man that couldn't really be bothered refereeing.  I certainly wouldn't suggest in any way that there was bias to either side.

So Slaughtneil were worthy champions but it was the refs fault??

toby47

Slaughtneil really impressive, better than the past few years.

I've seen a lot of football in Tyrone over the past 2 weekends and have also saw Cargin 2/3 times this year Slaughtneil are heads and shoulders above any of them. The runners they have (McKeagues, Roger, Feeny, Tad, Meehaul McGrath) coming from deep and the amount of support runners is unreal.

As someone mentioned already I also think they won very close to 100% of their own kickouts which is the base for their composed possession type brand of football.

Shé McGuigan/O'Doherty will not kill you on the scoreboard but are two great ball winners and will feed Sammy/Shane all day helping them rack up scores. On top of this they have a county standard defence. Karl McKeague is a great man marker, Chrissy leads everything, Feeny is tenacious and full of running, Rogers quite similar only a bigger build and Paul McNeil goes massively under rated, class act. Throw in The leadership/experience of Paul Bradley, Patsy Bradley and McEldowney and you have one hell of a team.

An absolute sure thing to dominate Derry football for the next 6-8 years. And if they continue to dive them selves on and don't loose hunger I honestly think they can go one step further than last year and will an AI club championship.

On a side note - Mullan was very poor. Didn't effect the result at all but some really questionable decisions. None more so than the foul on Anton Kelly in the first half that was a stone wall penalty.

Estimator

Quote from: Glenman93 on September 25, 2017, 12:55:33 PM
Game Watch

Ref Watch

Just point out where I said it was the Ref's fault.
In the next paragraph I said that he had no impact on the scoreline.
Points 2,3 and 4 were fouls/decisions that went against S'neil.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Link

Game Watch

Ref Watch

Think you should read the whole post before calling anyone out.

JoG2

Quote from: toby47 on September 25, 2017, 01:06:04 PM

I've seen a lot of football in Tyrone over the past 2 weekends and have also saw Cargin 2/3 times this year Slaughtneil are heads and shoulders above any of them. The runners they have (McKeagues, Roger, Feeny, Tad, Meehaul McGrath) coming from deep and the amount of support runners is unreal.

As someone mentioned already I also think they won very close to 100% of their own kickouts which is the base for their composed possession type brand of football.

Shé McGuigan/O'Doherty will not kill you on the scoreboard but are two great ball winners and will feed Sammy/Shane all day helping them rack up scores. On top of this they have a county standard defence. Karl McKeague is a great man marker, Chrissy leads everything, Feeny is tenacious and full of running, Rogers quite similar only a bigger build and Paul McNeil goes massively under rated, class act. Throw in The leadership/experience of Paul Bradley, Patsy Bradley and McEldowney and you have one hell of a team.

An absolute sure thing to dominate Derry football for the next 6-8 years. And if they continue to dive them selves on and don't loose hunger I honestly think they can go one step further than last year and will an AI club championship.

On a side note - Mullan was very poor. Didn't effect the result at all but some really questionable decisions. None more so than the foul on Anton Kelly in the first half that was a stone wall penalty.

Maybe something they've worked at continuously since the Corofin game?

toby47

Quote from: JoG2 on September 25, 2017, 01:44:57 PM
Quote from: toby47 on September 25, 2017, 01:06:04 PM

Maybe something they've worked at continuously since the Corofin game?

I would imagine so. They are twice the team now compared to the one vs Corofin.

Glenman93

Quote from: Estimator on September 25, 2017, 01:26:56 PM
Game Watch

Ref Watch

Just point out where I said it was the Ref's fault.
In the next paragraph I said that he had no impact on the scoreline.
Points 2,3 and 4 were fouls/decisions that went against S'neil.

Apologies - read the post too quickly.

screenexile

That was a tough one to take because I thought Slaughtneil hadn't played that well in the Championship to date and that we could put in a performance to ambush them. Little did I know they were looking to peak at the right time and they definitely have.

No point rehashing what others have said because I agree with the majority of it they played really well yesterday and probably a better performance than the Vincent's game, they will take some stopping in Ulster and further if they get there.

Screen along with the rest of the County will have to go back to the drawing board because it's going to take something special to beat this team. For Screen I think we have some good young lads coming through who can step up to the next level so hopefully we can see that over the next few years... we need to get back there again!

greenlight

I'm especially happy Slaughtneil won as it will have annoyed the 'Enda Gormley brigade' who were out in force here last week; but haven't been heard of since.

Should we send out a search party for Silverhill?

tonesfirstandlast

Just a case of Draperstown shiting in the nest again. In their favour you have to give them credit for getting to a county final with the players they have. The referee in the semi final against Glen and yesterday was very biased towards Slaughtneil. Over and out

Uncle Phil

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on September 25, 2017, 05:26:05 PM
Just a case of Draperstown shiting in the nest again. In their favour you have to give them credit for getting to a county final with the players they have. The referee in the semi final against Glen and yesterday was very biased towards Slaughtneil. Over and out

Glistening summary from an informed and clearly well educated, football man.

An alternative view - maybe it was a case of being outclassed and well beaten by one of the best club sides of our generation?

I don't know if you were at the game, but it clearly wasn't a contest. Slaughtneil were magnificent.

Maybe Bellaghy could have made a game of it.

That's right, we hammered them in the first round - the absolute shitbags.

I actually feel sorry for you. Every time you're on here, you're having a go at Screen.

Just imagine how nice a life you would have if you let go of all the bitterness.

restorepride

Quote from: Uncle Phil on September 25, 2017, 08:51:17 PM
Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on September 25, 2017, 05:26:05 PM

Glistening summary from an informed and clearly well educated, football man.

An alternative view - maybe it was a case of being outclassed and well beaten by one of the best club sides of our generation?

I don't know if you were at the game, but it clearly wasn't a contest. Slaughtneil were magnificent.

Maybe Bellaghy could have made a game of it.

That's right, we hammered them in the first round - the absolute shitbags.

I actually feel sorry for you. Every time you're on here, you're having a go at Screen.

Just imagine how nice a life you would have if you let go of all the bitterness.

It is tempting to respond to the wolf man talking out of his tone, however he is not a Bellaghy man with such pro british sentiment.