?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

tbrick18

Quote from: Ball on October 30, 2019, 10:14:00 AM
Quote from: Will it ever end on October 29, 2019, 07:18:43 AM
With rumours abounding that Rory Gallagher has a 45 man squad selected without MFelt players - I'd thought I'd pop down some names of those (if made available) for selection would make my panel - obviously I've missed some & taken some out of last years pane but Id like to think there's more than enough below to turn the tide for Derry again ...

Goalkeepers:
Odhran Lynch
Oran Hartin
Ben McKinless

Full Back:
Brendan Rogers
Karl McKaigue
Ryan Dougan
Niall Keenan
Liam McGoldrick
Declan Cassidy

Half Back:
Chris McKaigue
Conor McCluskey
Michael McEvoy
Gareth McKinless
Jack Doherty
Conleth McShane
Chris Kearns

Midfield:
Daniel Heavron
Ciaran McFaul
Gavin O Neill
Conor Doherty

Half Forward:
Enda Lynn
Emmett Bradley
Ryan Bell
Padraig Cassidy
Niall Toner
Shea Downey

Full Forward:
Niall Loughlin
Benny Heron
Shane McGuigan
Emmett McGuckin
Enda Downey
Paul Cassidy
Danny Tallon
Alex Doherty

As someone else said id say the squad wont be far off this, id say Enda Downey, Paul Cassidy, Alex Doherty and Ben McCarron will mostly be with U20's like last year. Id imagine Padraig and mark mcgrogan aswell as the McWilliams twins of Swatragh will be on it, possibly even the Kearney twins.

I think the other Heavron brother too (Shane?).
McAtamney for MF, possibly Carlus McWilliams from Screen.
What's the story with Caolan O'Boyle? Haven't seen Lavey play this year....what's his form like?
I'd like some more MF options and a big physical forward who could play in FF/HF line. We have lots of small fast players, I think if we had a ball winner in the forwards for those smaller players to play off it would really help us.

restorepride

Quote from: Will it ever end on October 30, 2019, 10:29:04 AM
Just glancing back on the full & half back lines - if the lads all commit you couldn't see many stronger back 6's certainly outside of the Top 4 in Dublin / Kerry / Tyrone / Mayo - should give us a really strong foundation to build on, then again it's the hope that kills you isn't it!
Galway, Donegal, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cavan and Meath have all better units. Down, Cork and Tipperary forwards will test things out, soon!!

Will it ever end

I'd respectfully disagree - genuinely think our guys would stand on their own against anything outside the top 4 ... only time will tell!

screenexile

Quote from: Will it ever end on October 30, 2019, 04:03:54 PM
I'd respectfully disagree - genuinely think our guys would stand on their own against anything outside the top 4 ... only time will tell!

Someday Derry supporters will realise the level the county is at in the pecking order of football in the country. . . soon hopefully!!

lenny

Quote from: Will it ever end on October 29, 2019, 07:18:43 AM
With rumours abounding that Rory Gallagher has a 45 man squad selected without MFelt players - I'd thought I'd pop down some names of those (if made available) for selection would make my panel - obviously I've missed some & taken some out of last years pane but Id like to think there's more than enough below to turn the tide for Derry again ...

Goalkeepers:
Odhran Lynch
Oran Hartin
Ben McKinless

Full Back:
Brendan Rogers
Karl McKaigue
Ryan Dougan
Niall Keenan
Liam McGoldrick
Declan Cassidy

Half Back:
Chris McKaigue
Conor McCluskey
Michael McEvoy
Gareth McKinless
Jack Doherty
Conleth McShane
Chris Kearns

Midfield:
Daniel Heavron
Ciaran McFaul
Gavin O Neill
Conor Doherty

Half Forward:
Enda Lynn
Emmett Bradley
Ryan Bell
Padraig Cassidy
Niall Toner
Shea Downey

Full Forward:
Niall Loughlin
Benny Heron
Shane McGuigan
Emmett McGuckin
Enda Downey
Paul Cassidy
Danny Tallon
Alex Doherty

A lot of good players there but not one player in that group could seriously be called a county midfielder. Danny and mcfaul are top players but no way could they compete with top county midfielders like Fenton, Moran, O'Shea or Murphy. We need size and power from somewhere. Emmett has done well for us this year there and has the strength and power. Jared has the aerial ability to compete but he's reaching veteran status. Emmet bradley is another option there. Padraig Cassidy has a good engine but again is probably too lightweight. That's going to be our Achilles heel against big powerful sides like cork.

Will it ever end

Quote from: screenexile on October 30, 2019, 04:38:09 PM

Someday Derry supporters will realise the level the county is at in the pecking order of football in the country. . . soon hopefully!!

I hardly think we'll win th All Ireland - but would you not agree that's surely a strong defence Screenexile for starters? Any of those teams mentioned above would love the chance to work with those players as a group - let's hope Gallagher is afforded the opportunity!

restorepride

Would be lucky to be in the top 4 in Ulster!

Will it ever end

I genuinely think that's strong - a large mix of club / county & schools Ulster medals in there with youth & experience...

I'm away to drink out of my glass half full in my own deluded world 😂😂

bannside

Apart from the two Greenlough men, Paul Cassidy Daniel Haevron and possibly Chris Mc Keague, who else would make the Kerry panel?

restorepride

Quote from: bannside on October 30, 2019, 07:11:44 PM
Apart from the two Greenlough men, Paul Cassidy Daniel Haevron and possibly Chris Mc Keague, who else would make the Kerry panel?
Who else?! Jaysus about 2 of the ones you've mentioned might get a league game!

bannside

Any time Ive seen Niall Loughlin and Paul Cassidy Ive been very impressed tbh. But I'll butt out of Derry affairs....we have work of our own to do lol!

Ball

Quote from: bannside on October 30, 2019, 07:11:44 PM

Dear god id say none. And top 4 defences in the country?

Im not even being negative but I worry about what some boys are watching!

On a more serious note i do agree that MF is prob our biggest weakness.

Going by the schedule ive heard the senior squad have been set by gallagher they should be in some shape come January.

Will it ever end

I said hold our own outside the top 4 in defence - there's 10 / 12 teams outside of that on any given day there's a kick of a ball between them... 

tbrick18

Irish news reporting that Brian Mciver is meant to be stepping down.
Sooner the better in my opinion.

Wildweasel74

There big enough midfielders about if they look at 1 mobile enough. Think they need look at Colm Mcgoldrick up front and hopefully the Kearney lads stick around abit longer this time. No U-20 playing, let them see out there own age group,  and go bck to picking the best players in the county on form from club and not a U-20 game. It's not as if we got David Clifford or O'Shea.